Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: I am almost done with PP

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by slyphoxj View Post
    I've started to look at T-Mobile prepaid, Lycamobile and Airvoice since I unlocked the SIM card slot in my HTC Droid Incredible 2. An unlocked GSM SIM card slot is a wonderful thing! If I can get a usable AT&T signal at my workplace, I just might start using Airvoice as my primary after my PPC $12 plan expires and switch my PPC line to PAYGO to use when I can't get an AT&T signal. I'd rather go with Lycamobile, but I can't get a T-Mobile signal at my workplace .

But then again, I might ditch PPC altogether since my Dinc2's screen is severely cracked after one too many falls last weekend ... an excuse to move to a more modern phone.

I popped over on the Airvoice forum and learned that they might be getting 4G this summer?
    Verizon doesn't have usable signal at my new workplace Can never complete a voice call, data barely worked on DInc.

AT&T is fine so far and coworker has T-Mo and says it is fine too.

Device(s)
    Nokia TA-1045 6.1 AndroidOne | Google Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid | Verizon PrePay
    Feedback Score
    The underlying theme here is that BYOD handset availability for PagePlus is not the competitive advantage that it once was. This of course is a consequence of Verizon's strategy of withholding LTE service from any of its MVNOs (and even its own in-house prepaid brand). Plainly their position is that if any prospective customer wants the latest & greatest handset, they'll only offer it with a 2-year contract.

True, thanks to the Android development community it's possible to root, flash and activate many newer smartphone handsets onto PagePlus. This represents great value for people who already have these handsets and are out of contract (or are willing to pay off their ETF).

But what about the average consumer who prefers an OOB (out of box) experience and service from PagePlus? If they want a smartphone I'd say they have these choices:
    - older and discontinued EV-DO only handsets (discussed on multiple threads on multiple forums here)
    - new but low-spec handsets (PagePlus is offering Kyoceras and Huaweis online now, right?)
    - certain flavors of Apple devices (e.g. Walmart's StraightTalk iPhone 5)

Compared to the rest of the BYOD landscape it looks lacking.

Sent from my Android using HowardForums
    Glad to be off contract since 2010...

Device Reverse Chronology: HTC "10" (VZW) | Samsung G920VZKAVZW Galaxy S6 | Motorola XT1060 MOTO X DE | Samsung N920T Galaxy Note5 | Microsoft RM-1073 Lumia 640 LTE | LG E960 Nexus4 | HTC ADR6300 Incredible | Nokia Asha 303 | Palm Pixi Plus | Motorola W233 Renew | Motorola VU204 | LG VS740 Ally | Motorola V325xi | LG VX8560 Chocolate3 | Motorola V265 | LG VX5400 | Nokia 6015i | Samsung VGA1000

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
    Verizon doesn't have usable signal at my new workplace Can never complete a voice call, data barely worked on DInc.

AT&T is fine so far and coworker has T-Mo and says it is fine too.
    Indeed, plans and phones aside, the most important aspect for cellphone use is the strength of carriers' signals where you'll actually be using it. Other people's anecdotes from other communities are of little value. Example: in contrast to JoeSchmoe, AT&T signals are terrible in my interior office, while Verizon, though not strong, is always usable. Check with others where you'll be using your phone. Local experiences trump our own here on the forum.

Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by slyphoxj View Post
    If I can get a usable AT&T signal at my workplace, I just might start using Airvoice as my primary after my PPC $12 plan expires and switch my PPC line to PAYGO to use when I can't get an AT&T signal.

I popped over on the Airvoice forum and learned that they might be getting 4G this summer?
    It's only been a week but our experience with Airvoice is very positive. Very helpful, native English speakers on customer service. The port from PP took between 3 and 5 hours (not done after 3 hrs but done on the 2nd check at 5 hrs.) We were able to get data and MMS working using their website instructions. Haven't travelled with the phone yet so can't speak to the coverage. I assume it will be similar to PP/Verizon. Data speeds were 30-50% higher than PP (3G only at this point.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3