Thread: Tbaytel LTE launch – How it should be done.

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound T¡Ther
    Carrier(s)
    M¤ther Nature !... @SS2MOUTH Death 0f SELFie -> HardWare Opiates
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Tbaytel LTE launch – How it should be done.

Tbaytel is now one of the only carriers in the country who is still running 4G as its main service. The company has spent a large amount of money on towers in recent years to address issues with coverage, capacity and customer complaints. In 2012, Tbaytel spent close to 9 million dollars investing in the service to make the service quick, cover more and deal with issues in the system. I can say that the service is much better with the investments and a lot of my personal complaints have been fixed. The issue as it stands now is that competition has moved in to the area and they are offering much more in terms of speed, data strength and phones. For Tbaytel to catch up they will need to offer a new and improved LTE system for the most modern phones. Tbaytel will likely be getting help from Rogers on this expansion but personally, I feel they need to do it differently then they did before. When Tbaytel started offering 4G they rolled it out almost system wide at once. This massive undertaking along with the migration of Rogers customers under the Tbaytel banner created havoc for Tbaytel employees and the service. Towers were overloaded, it was taking weeks for activation and general consensus with customers was anger. With the LTE service it will need to do things differently and take things on slower to make sure that it works out best for the customer. Below is a map showing Northwestern Ontario and I will describe why I believe each individual phase should happen.

Phase 1:

Blue shows phase 1

While it might be hard to see there is blue covering Kenora, Dryden and Thunder Bay. My preferences for these 3 cities as phase 1 varies from competition to making a good impression. Thunder Bay and Kenora are the 2 largest cities in Northwestern Ontario and covering these first will be important for Tbaytel to remain competitive. Bell, Telus and Virgin mobile also have LTE in these 2 sites already and are promoting them heavily. While Tbaytel has coverage across NWO compared to those companies, it is only a matter of time before they add coverage as well. Dryden’s mobility customers were recently bought out by Tbaytel and providing them with a good first look will be important to keeping them. A first look will be important to keep them with Tbaytel when the other companies provide service in these areas. This phase will cover a majority of Tbaytel customers and allow the service to get the biggest pressure out of the way, right away.

Phase 2:

A big complaint that Tbaytel customers have is that the drive down to Duluth is a mess of cell service and no cell service. Providing them with a nice welcome back 5 bar signal strength could go a long way to making people extremely happy to be a Tbaytel customer. Expanding into Ignace, Fort Frances, Nipigon and expanding the reach of LTE in Kenora will be important for phase 2 success. The movement over to LTE will also have an advantage for 4G users as more capacity opens up. I don’t believe at this time that it is economical or practical to provide LTE along both highways. The extra capacity of 4G is better suited for these tasks with LTE going into the urban areas.

Phase 3: Putting LTE into the cities and having 4G covering the highways will be the best option to making effective use of both existing and future infrastructure. I believe that a slow roll out of LTE will be important for Tbaytel to avoid the same mistakes it made during the 4G launch. If it does plan to roll it out as one package I hope that the lessons are learned and more staff/capacity has been added.

To give a visual of how I think the Duluth expansion should be rolled out. See this story for details http://thenotsonews.wordpress.com/20...23/tbayduluth/

The red would be LTE covered space and the green would be 4G covered space. Again the roll out of LTE would be in urban spaces like Lutsen, Grand Marais. This could be importantly vital to Tbaytel as it gets squeezed in the NWO market by Bell, Telus and Virgin Mobile. See the previous blog for details
    http://thenotsonews.wordpress.com/20...hould-be-done/

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    TBaytel still needs to finish that large gap on hwy 11 between Hearst and Longlac. Bellus has that area done already.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using HowardForums
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure where you got your info from, but right now the only 2 Bell sites on Hwy 11 between the turn off at Nipigon and Hearst are in Geraldton.
    My posts are in no way intended to represent or promote the views of any service provide, dealer or manufacturer.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm going by the map...on Steve Nikkel's site.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I'm going by the map...on Steve Nikkel's site.

Sent with the HoFo App
    You might want to take another look at Steve's site, it clearly shows there are only 2 Bell sites on that stretch of highway.

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/c...ayers=b&pid=18
    Last edited by nwotraveler; 03-06-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nwotraveler View Post
    You might want to take another look at Steve's site, it clearly shows there are only 2 Bell sites on that stretch of highway.

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/c...ayers=b&pid=18
    I'm referring to 'TBayTel' Bell 'shows' a lot of coverage on 'their' maps. Everything highway 631 east is covered, yet there is technically nothing on Steve's site between Hearst and Longlac. I think Steve's map has a carrier missing in north Eastern Ontario.

Bell shows solid up to highway 631 - then a large gap to Geraldton, and 'future' near Nipigon.

TBay Tel shows through to Longlac, then a single site in Hearst, then Rogers 2G site in Kapuskasing, then nothing until Cochrane.