Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When you pay off your early termination fee at Verizon can you sell your phone?

Feedback Score

When you pay off your early termination fee at Verizon can you sell your phone?

I'm presuming since you did pay it off, it would work on Verizon's network. Does anyone know what happens? I'm also thinking of getting one of the phones turned back on now that Verizon has offered a couple more affordable smartphone plans for when I travel.

Thanks... MG

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MallGuvner View Post
    I'm presuming since you did pay it off, it would work on Verizon's network. Does anyone know what happens? I'm also thinking of getting one of the phones turned back on now that Verizon has offered a couple more affordable smartphone plans for when I travel.

Thanks... MG
    Yes you are correct. If you pay off your ETF, then the phone will have a clean ESN.

Feedback Score
    There's been a couple of people on this site who said they had to return the phone even though they paid the etf. I think they didn't keep it long enough. Maybe I'm confusing something. It seems like they bought the phones at Best Buy or Amazon.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If I am not mistaken, the phone only has to be returned during the "trial" period during the first 14 days. After that no need to return the phone. If the final bill is paid in full, it will not be blacklisted.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I assure you there is some doubt. Please read this thread from earlier.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...eling-contract

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Third-party dealers, especially online ones, can impose an additional contract with its own additional ETF. Typically those were 6 months in length. If you canceled the line or even swapped the new phone off the line before 6 months were up, the dealer would come after you for more money.

Feedback Score
    You can sell any phone, any time. It just has to be deactivated by activating another phone in its place. Once you sign the 2 yr contract, the phone is yours to do with as you please. All Verizon cares about is the 2 yr commitment you signed to get the phone. They could care less what you do with the phone thereafter. you can sell it or use it as a hockey puck for all they care.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees65 View Post
    You can sell any phone, any time. It just has to be deactivated by activating another phone in its place. Once you sign the 2 yr contract, the phone is yours to do with as you please. All Verizon cares about is the 2 yr commitment you signed to get the phone. They could care less what you do with the phone thereafter. you can sell it or use it as a hockey puck for all they care.
    Did you read the post above yours, or the thread located here http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...eling-contract

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    Did you read the post above yours, or the thread located here http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...eling-contract
    He said Verizon doesn't care. He is correct, you can take the phone and throw it in a lake for all they care. Third parties may have different rules, but if you buy a phone from Verizon Wireless directly you will never have to return a phone after the 14 day trial period.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    The OP did not state where he/she bought the phone. I was trying to be helpful.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    So you're both right. VZW doesn't care, if you pay the ETF they don't care what you do with the phone. If you bought it from a 3rd party, *they* may care, they would have their own (typically 6 month) contract with ETF.

I feel for the guy in the linked thread, since he cancelled 3 days before 6 months.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Verizon doesn't care what you do with your phone even if its still under contract. Once you sign the 2 yr agreement, the phone is yours to do with as you please. They only care about the two year agreement. The subsidized phone was just a way to get you to sign the two year agreement. Once you deactivate the contract phone, you can sell it without any interference from Verizon. You don't have to pay any ETF beforehand.

Feedback Score
    Yes

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    VZW Galaxy S III
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    These linked threads deal with resellers. But, if I walk into a Verizon-owned store today and get a new phone (and thus a new 2yr contract), can I immediately (i.e. a few hours later) go and port that line to another carrier and only have to pay the ETF? Do I need to wait for the 14-day return period to expire, or any other length of time? Do I need to first re-activate my old phone on that line, or do anything else?

I'm looking at Verizon's Return policy at http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s.../return-policy, and it says:
    You may terminate service for any reason within 14 days of activation. If you purchased a wireless device at a promotionalprice at the time of activation, you must return it within the device return period to avoid being assessed an Early Termination Fee of $175, or $350 if you purchased an Advanced Device.
    It looks to me that I'd just be responsible for ETF, but before I get all proud of myself for answering my own question, anyone know of another policy which would contradict this?

Device(s)
    VZW Galaxy S III
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've received two different answers from two different Verizon customer service agents. Anyone have actual experience with this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast