Thread: Verizon Wireless Hates Diamler/Chrysler Retiree's

Device(s)
    now the iphone 4s 64gb
    Carrier(s)
    Straighttalk and Verizon Dongle
    Feedback Score

Angry Verizon Wireless Hates Diamler/Chrysler Retiree's

I have had Verizon wireless service for about 10 or more years, 1st on digital cell phones and for the last couple of years on a MiFi dongle. Verizon notified me last year since I am now retired from Diamler/Chrysler I would no longer be eligible for a discount. Apparently the thinking is that if you are a $150K a year executive you need the break more than a retiree that draws less than $400/month in retirement benefits (but I do still get my medical so I'm not griping about that. Apparently with VZN's thinking they can change the terms of my contract (from $40/month to $50/month) in the middle of my contract, with no change in my obligation to full the agreement. I am seriously thinking about just dropping them and when they try and go after me for the balance of the agreement, telling them to just sue me, cause I can defend myself and obviously have a clear cut case against them, whereas they would have to retain an attorney in the state of Washington..So before you sign up if you are close to retirement age, look around for a different carrier

Feedback Score
    So you're upset because you're no longer getting a discount for a company you no longer work for.

Seems legit.

Also - from the Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...er-agreement):

AM I ELIGIBLE FOR SPECIAL DISCOUNTS?
    If you're a Postpay customer, you may be eligible for a discount if you are and remain affiliated with an organization that has an agreement with us. Unless your discount is through a government employee discount program, we may share certain information about your Service (including your name, your wireless telephone number and your total monthly charges) with your organization from time to time to make sure you're still eligible. We may adjust or remove your discount according to your organization's agreement with us, and remove your discount if your eligibility ends or your contract term expires. In any case, this won't be considered to have a material adverse effect on you.
    Bolded emphasis mine.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Actually, don't be upset that they hate retirees or Chrysler employees. It has nothing to do with that. They hate all of their customers equally. Just look at their plans. :-P

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallsent View Post
    I have had Verizon wireless service for about 10 or more years, 1st on digital cell phones and for the last couple of years on a MiFi dongle. Verizon notified me last year since I am now retired from Diamler/Chrysler I would no longer be eligible for a discount. Apparently the thinking is that if you are a $150K a year executive you need the break more than a retiree that draws less than $400/month in retirement benefits (but I do still get my medical so I'm not griping about that. Apparently with VZN's thinking they can change the terms of my contract (from $40/month to $50/month) in the middle of my contract, with no change in my obligation to full the agreement. I am seriously thinking about just dropping them and when they try and go after me for the balance of the agreement, telling them to just sue me, cause I can defend myself and obviously have a clear cut case against them, whereas they would have to retain an attorney in the state of Washington..So before you sign up if you are close to retirement age, look around for a different carrier
    If I'm understanding the situation the same way as ak1sdr - that you are being notified that you are losing your discount because you retired from the company - then he is absolutely correct. I'm not sure how "Verizon's thinking" is flawed. Employees qualify for employee discounts; when you are no longer an employee you no longer receive a discount.

As ak1sdr said, if you drop service before the agreement is finished, you will still be responsible for the ETF. They haven't changed the terms of your contract--there is no discount in your contract. No attorneys, no defending yourself, no court--they'll just consider the account delinquent, send it to collections and blacklist your phone.

Sorry, it is a clear cut case; but, you'll be on the wrong end of it.