Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding 4G LTE and H2O

Feedback Score

Question regarding 4G LTE and H2O

Just bought a sim, installed it on my nexus 5, and configured everything with a chat representative. But during the setup he mentions that H2O is completely 3G with no 4g or 4g lte. However on their coverage map it clearly shows 4g lte in my location with the only stipulation that I must have a 4g lte device. But he assured me that it was only 3g.

So I did a speedtest, and it says 0.01mbps with speeds reaching 1.5mbps on speedtest. However, when i compare my phone to my gf's ATT iphone that has 4g, i load pages considerably faster. So what is going on, does anyone know the truth? It seems really hard to find any truthful information about their network.

Thanks

Device(s)
    Samsung x427m
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular for 8 yrs;
    Feedback Score
    H2o tops out at HSPA+, also sometimes called 3.5G.
    Some AT&T iPhones with older firmware identify it as 4G (which is technically true), but it is NOT LTE, period.
    When running properly, HSPA+ should be VERY fast and responsive.
    However, an overloaded network, even LTE, can suck.
    Retry your network speed test when most local users would be in bed, and from different locations.
    now with H2O, after Straight Talk LTE sim debacle 4th Quarter 2013.
    Currently on locked AT&T iPhone 4S. (backup: iPhone 4)
    iOS: 7.1.2, carrier: AT&T 16.0 , modem: 5.2.00 , Data & MMS just fine.
    Previously at: iOS 6.1.3, carrier 14.2, modem 3.4.03 .

Feedback Score
    @j.porthan Anole is correct. There was a 4g war with carriers about 2 years ago. Sprint introduced WiMax, AT&T introduced HSPA+, TMo introduced something (I forgot!), and Verizon introduced LTE. We all know now what became the industry standard... "4G LTE". I believe HSPA+ tops off around 7-9mbps in excellent coverage area. These download speeds should be good enough for the average user. As for your speed results, I read that some carriers actually block certain speedtest apps for some unknown reason. You might get a better speedtest report around 2a.

Device(s)
    Nexus⁴, Idol 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Speed tests on h2o won't work properly if you have a proxy set in the APN. Hspa+ can be very fast, sometimes quicker than lte, depending on area. Theoretically hspa21 and hspa42 can run 21 and 42mbps, respectively. But normally you will see 3mbps - 20mbps. I have seen up to 16mbps in my area during the night.

So like the other guys have said, h2o runs hspa+ (aka, 3.5g and 4g).
    LG Nexus⁴ -- OmniRom lollipop 5.1.1 -- LTE enabled
    Alcatel Idol 3 ------- Stock lollipop -- 5.0.2
    Acer A100 -- GodDroid CM10 4.1.2 @1.5ghz
    Old: Moto G, F3, Blaze 4g, SIII, OV, MT, Rise, Elite

Feedback Score
    Awesome. We'll I'm getting 6.21 mbps down and 2 up. Steadily during the day. Speed test worked after removing the proxy. Thanks for that suggestion. I guess I'm just wondering why they advertise 4g lte in my area.
    h2owirelessnow.com/mainControl.php?page=coverage

Pretty shady business practice I believe, but I'm happy with anything above 5mbps! Thanks all

Device(s)
    Samsung x427m
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular for 8 yrs;
    Feedback Score
    I think they're using the official AT&T maps, who DOES have LTE where you are looking.
    But H2o doesn't resell LTE.
    We always clarify that for anyone asking here on the forum. It's not a secret.
    I'm now spending $27/mo, no tax, 500mb, autopay, with H2o, and happy to enjoy the same service I've had over AT&T for 10+ years.
    (my phone doesn't do LTE, so it really doesn't matter)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Anole View Post
    I think they're using the official AT&T maps, who DOES have LTE where you are looking.
    But H2o doesn't resell LTE.
    We always clarify that for anyone asking here on the forum. It's not a secret.
    I'm now spending $27/mo, no tax, 500mb, autopay, with H2o, and happy to enjoy the same service I've had over AT&T for 10+ years.
    (my phone doesn't do LTE, so it really doesn't matter)

Not sure why you're trying to say it's not a secret when they are intentionally being misleading. I had no idea, and would not have known, that I didn't really get LTE speeds if no one had responded here. They even show a 4g LTE map on their website and I have no idea why if they weren't intentionally being misleading.

Feedback Score
    It may not be a "secret" in the sense that the info is freely shared amongst those in-the-know, but I almost fell for signing up for an H20 account when I looked under the "Coverage" link on their website and saw "4G LTE" areas clearly marked on the map. Certainly it's a fair inference that a carrier's published Coverage Map is showing the coverage you'll get using their service! If it doesn't match what they're providing then I'd say that's a ripoff. A potential customer can't be expected to know exactly which class of whose service they're reselling or who else's coverage map they're posting on their own site.

Feedback Score
    Here's what's working best for me. I have a Verizon Motorola Droid Mini that I'm using on H2O. I'm disappointed that I don't get true 4g speeds, stuck on H+ but these settings have clocked download speeds over 7mbps. Also, picture messages work. Always striving to get better so if you improve on these, please share.
    Name: H2O
    APN: att.mvno
    Proxy: Not Set
    Port: Not Set
    User Name: Not Set
    Password: Not Set
    Server: Not Set
    MMSC: the Cingular one, can't post links yet
    MMSC Proxy: proxy.mvno.H2OMobileweb.com
    Port: 80
    MCC:310
    MNC:410
    Authentication Type: CHAP
    APN Type: default,supl,mms,hipri
    APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6
    APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4
    Bearer: Unspecified
    MVNO Type: None

Hope this helps!

Device(s)
    Nexus 6 64GB, LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=OldSchoolCafe;15468956]I'm disappointed that I don't get true 4g speeds, stuck on H+ /QUOTE]

As more people move to LTE that network gets overloaded and the H+ network becomes less congested. That is GOOD. Most people are confused. An HD Netflix stream only needs 3 Mbps. On a mobile, 1 Mbps will save you from overrrunning and look perfectly fine. So at the best, you only need a 1Mbps link to stream on a mobile. Anything over that is pure buffer.

The only time you will use 6 Mbps is to run a speedtest.

Now there is one big difference between H+ and LTE, and that is latency (because of air interface). Recent tests puts LTE around 40-60 ms where H+ can be 80-110 ms (almost 2x). That will slow your web page loading somewhat, but for the average user it may be a second more (web pages can be pipelined).

I tested my Nexus 4 (H2O/H+) next to my iphone 5s (VZW/LTE) and tried 10 different web pages. The difference in load time WAS slower than iphone but barely less than 1-2 seconds worst case and almost the same best case.

The carriers have foisted on the populace that they need LTE. In fact they don't but LTE makes it much cheaper for the carriers because the sector density and bandwidth are greater -- oh and they charge you more for what costs them less.

Don't be fooled, AT&T H+ (and TMO for that matter) are plenty fast, and can handle anything you throw at it. Sprint on the other hand, don't try and Verizon 3G is marginal at best but reliable so you can run video but don't count on greater than 1 Mbps. Sprint, if you get 0.001 Mbps you are doing good

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elefante72 View Post
    Sprint, if you get 0.001 Mbps you are doing good
    Ha, might be a little exaggerated, but I couldn't agree with the sentiment more.

I was on Republic Wireless which uses Sprint. I had no data where I live (roaming) so I was on the $10 plan. Went to california for three weeks so I splurged and signed up for their 4G LTE plan. On my Moto X with perfect signal in Southern California, I could pull speetests of 2-3mbps. The latency was better than 3G of course, but the speeds failed to impress. At about the same section of road, I tested my dad's verizon Galaxy S5. Bam, 61mbps down, 30up. Still, I'd rather pay $30 for 500mb @ 5-7mbps with AT&T HSPA+, since that's all I want or typically use.

Device(s)
    Nexus⁴, Idol 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Yup, that's why I'm not on sprint anymore. Terrible 3g and only a few Mbps on LTE.

Feedback Score
    I know this is an old thread, but summer is nearly over and still no lte on h2o. Anyone got any ideas?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatCatalog View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but summer is nearly over and still no lte on h2o. Anyone got any ideas?
    Ideas for what?

Sent from my XT1053 using the HoFo app

Device(s)
    Samsung x427m
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular for 8 yrs;
    Feedback Score
    My old iPhone 4S handset won't do LTE.
    The only idea I'm contemplating, is getting a Note 3 for about $400, and get on with my life!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast