Thread: iPhone 5c (16gb) versus iPhone 4 (32gb) ??

Feedback Score

iPhone 5c (16gb) versus iPhone 4 (32gb) ??

My wife and I both got iPhone 4's (plain 4 not 4s) a few years back when we joined Verizon, with 32gb. We are both quite happy with our phones and the carrier's also pretty good ($60/mo unlimited talk/text/2gb data per phone). Not worth shaving off $10-$20 to try new carrier I never heard of, hassle of switching, etc.

So I saw that if I signed new 2 year contract / "loyalty" plan, my wife & I were both eligible for a new, free iPhone 4 (16gb). Even more, I saw that till 3/17, there was a $100 rebate on iPhone 5c (normally $99 with 2 year plan) that made that also free with the plan. So, basically, I was able to keep the same plan, same rate, commit for 2 years, and get 2 new iPhone 5c's (16gb).

I have two kids, about 7 yrs old. They borrow the iPhones to play games & learning apps, watch videos on long drives, etc. I saw this contract as a way of basically getting two new phones for the wife & I and then we could hand down our old iPhone 4's to the kids to use. My understanding is those old phones will basically be like iPod touches, without any phone number or carrier service; that apps will work, and can be added, and they should also work in wifi areas.

Well, the two new phones came...and then I had some concern that the 16gb memory might not be enough for me, as I'm used to 32gb... And the thought occurred to me that maybe instead of giving the old phones to the kids, my wife & I can just keep our old iPhone 4's with 32gbs and give the new iPhone 5c's with 16gbs to our kids to use as iPod touches or whatever (once we clarify with Verizon that we want the phone numbers to stay assigned to the old phones after all).

I don't see that Verizon will care one way or the other. The question that I have is this: Am I missing out on anything really significant, that I might find really useful, if I had the iPhone 5c rather than the iPhone 4? If there is some important functional advance, that could actually help with my productivity, then I guess I would re-think this approach. I have tried googling to get comparison between iPhone 4 and iPhone 5c...but guess what? I keep getting comparisons between iPhone 4s and 5c, not the plain 4 and 5c, so that is not really the comparison that I want.

Does anyone know the difference between the iPhone 4 and 5c, or what the "key" differences are, that might lead me as the parent/adult to take the newer phone over the one I'm used to that has twice the memory (well, more than twice the functional memory)?

Ken

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6, iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The 5S is light years ahead of the iPhone 4 as far as performance goes. It also has a larger screen.

Other than that, iPhones really haven't changed since the first one in 2007.
    iPhone XS Max | OnePlus 6
    www.blueearlbrewing.com

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think there isn't LTE on iPhone 4. I've never been an iPhone user so I'm not 100% sure.

Sent from my XT1053 using the Hofo app

Feedback Score
    LTE, bigger screen and a better battery and processor.. Just to name a few...
    Use the new phones you won't ever look back.. :-)

Sent from my HTC DROID DNA running cyanogenMod 10.2

Carrier(s)
    Verizon (prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    I guess ken has long ago made the choice, but it would make sense to see how much free space was left on the phone, my guess is 16gb would have been plenty on the new phones.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    I think there isn't LTE on iPhone 4. I've never been an iPhone user so I'm not 100% sure.

Sent from my XT1053 using the Hofo app
    Yes there is only 3G on my wife's 4S

via the HoFo App