Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wind unreliable for roaming

Device(s)
    Samsung S10+
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have never roamed internationally on any phone I've had from any carrier, the option of unlocking your phone and using a local SIM, especially in Europe, is not only far more reliable but also significantly cheaper. You can even pick up PAYGO SIMs in the supermarket in most countries that work out cheaper than using your carrier's roaming package. My only complaint is that you don't get LTE with a PAYGO SIM but on my last visit I had reliable HSPA+ data running between 20-22Mb/s.

Attachment 106852
    Last edited by Mann Incognito; 04-07-2014 at 07:00 AM.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Strange, I had no issues this summer in Germany, Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, and Slovenia...it was on auto select the whole time. Maybe you don't have the required European roaming SIM?

Device(s)
    Nokia 5110, Samsung SGH-P207, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Speaking of roaming, I'm finding that my phone starts to roam in poor signal areas every now and then inside the wind zone but absolutely nothing works, no texts no voice calls, so it's useless.

I've been patiently waiting for Wind to improve but it'll be time to bite the bullet and and leave soon because if anything it's just getting worse.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Yeah there a few poor signal areas in Vancouver where it leaps onto WIND AWAY. Notably the Cobalt on Main St. I have hacked together a root-based solution with Tasker. Any time it registers on WIND AWAY, Tasker jumps in and forces (via GravityBox Xposed plugin) to 3G-only, and increments a variable to signal that it accomplished the task. So far though I have not seen the variable increment so I guess it has not kicked in since I set it up.

(While my device is capable of roaming on Big3 3G, it would appear that Rogers 2G is the only network that it currently jumps to.)

Device(s)
    Samsung S10+
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    Yeah there a few poor signal areas in Vancouver where it leaps onto WIND AWAY. Notably the Cobalt on Main St. I have hacked together a root-based solution with Tasker. Any time it registers on WIND AWAY, Tasker jumps in and forces (via GravityBox Xposed plugin) to 3G-only, and increments a variable to signal that it accomplished the task. So far though I have not seen the variable increment so I guess it has not kicked in since I set it up.

(While my device is capable of roaming on Big3 3G, it would appear that Rogers 2G is the only network that it currently jumps to.)
    Rogers will only allow you to roam on their 2G network, it's impossible to roam on 3G in Canada.

Sent from my Z10 using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann Incognito View Post
    Rogers will only allow you to roam on their 2G network, it's impossible to roam on 3G in Canada.

So far. Agreements could change in the future.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung S10+
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    So far. Agreements could change in the future.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    This is true, but for the time being Rogers is refusing WIND access to their 3G or 3G+ network. With new legislation kicking in it might be possible for WIND to renegotiate with Rogers, or even agree to more beneficial network access with a new partner.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann Incognito View Post
    This is true, but for the time being Rogers is refusing WIND access to their 3G or 3G+ network. With new legislation kicking in it might be possible for WIND to renegotiate with Rogers, or even agree to more beneficial network access with a new partner.
    I don't know man, when I was with mobilicity, my phone would register to CDN Roaming 3G when I swapped the SIM to test this very fact. I d k if it still works

Edit: it could register on Rogers 3g I have no idea if it was usable I.e. If calls etc were allowed

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Samsung S10+
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You could well be correct when talking about Mobilicity, but in my 3 years with WIND I was never able to connect to 3G no matter what device I tried with. I have yet to meet anyone who has been able to connect to 3G on Rogers. In fact WIND, when they first came out, were very clear that they couldn't negotiate a 3G roaming package with Rogers and as far as I know that hasn't changed. I could be wrong but the agreement with Rogers was for 5 years, so there's about another 8 months to go to see what happens.

Feedback Score
    I've had a Wind phone for serveral yers, I've never been able to conect to any 3G Wind Away in Canada. It's always been 2G.

On the topic at hand, I found that my experience when roaming in NE US was disappointing as well. I was able to connect onlly to T-MOBILE 2G when ATT 3G & LTE were available. T-Mobilie 2G was handy for calls and text, but I could not use any data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
    Strange, I had no issues this summer in Germany, Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, and Slovenia...it was on auto select the whole time. Maybe you don't have the required European roaming SIM?
    Strange! I was just in one of those countries and roaming didn't work. I could register but not place or receive calls. And yes, I have the new SIM ofcourse.

Question: Are you on pay after, pay before or pay your way plan?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Q5, Blackberry Z30
    Carrier(s)
    Wind, Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
    +1
    I've also had no issues connecting to different networks abroad except my list of countries is: England, Italy, France, San Marino, Mexico, Peru, US and El Salvador.
    Then again, I"m assuming because I got the welcome text that it meant it was fine. In some it took a bit longer to connect to the network, but I didn't set up anything and was automatic as far as I know.
    Can't say I used my phone for much besides sending out the odd text.
    Expensive!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    +1
    I"m assuming because I got the welcome text that it meant it was fine.
    LOL, have you tried calling? Did you receive any calls? I got welcome message too but was unable to place or receive calls. Very weird, only from wind, lol.

Device(s)
    Asus ZenFone 2 Laser w/LOS14.1
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile, Chatr, formerly Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie999 View Post
    LOL, have you tried calling? Did you receive any calls? I got welcome message too but was unable to place or receive calls. Very weird, only from wind, lol.
    We had no issues, even with a long call from a very rural area. Great deal IMHO.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie999 View Post
    Strange! I was just in one of those countries and roaming didn't work. I could register but not place or receive calls. And yes, I have the new SIM ofcourse.

Question: Are you on pay after, pay before or pay your way plan?
    I made calls in Germany, Austria, Hungary, and Croatia. I sporadically used data in all of those countries for Google Maps. So it did actually work, I didn't consider the welcome SMS or registration a success. Did you get the SMS when you entered each country?
    I'm on pay before, so I would usually add in $10 at a time to ensure I was sticking to the budget.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast