Thread: What's new with SaskTel Mobility?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score

What's new with SaskTel Mobility?

Sure has been quiet here for a few months. Is everybody blissfully happy with the network and plans?

My grandfathered Talk North America plan has, alas, disappeared but at least I can keep it.

I'd sure like to see some better options for data roaming in the US (Wind's plan is amazing but, of course, completely useless in Saskatchewan because there is zero Wind coverage here). What about you?
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, Toggle Mobile (UK/FR/US), GiffGaff (UK)

GSM phones: Too many to list.

Device(s)
    Xperia Z
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I am quite happy with the Telus promotional plan I found last spring. Unlimited calling in Canada plus 5GB of data for 50.00 a month. Works good for a rural person like myself where every cell call is long distance. Sad to see Verizon didn't come into Canada as we could use some real competition here. On the internet side out here in rural Sask I will just say it still sucks.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    I don't know if it would have helped much if Verizon had come. It would have been years before they'd build a network in Saskatchewan. I'm sure the priority would be on BC, Alberta and Ontario.

I'm hopeful that with all the spectrum they purchased, Rogers plans to completely make up for years of neglect here, but I've dreamed and been wrong before.

Device(s)
    Xperia Z
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    It will be interesting to see what Roger's does with all the spectrum they bought. Somehow I don't think they will invest much here in Sask.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackroc View Post
    It will be interesting to see what Roger's does with all the spectrum they bought. Somehow I don't think they will invest much here in Sask.
    I expect them to deploy LTE on their existing coverage footprint. That's what they tend to do; let the network get out of date and then do a massive upgrade that hops a couple or three generations. I don't expect them to deploy any more 3G HSPA+ than they have already unless they have some radio failures and need to replace them, but if they deploy LTE, once people get phones that support the new 700 MHz frequency, that won't matter.

It's quite possible Rogers will have more LTE than SaskTel does, in the short run, but SaskTel always catches up. (Rogers has leapfrogged SaskTel a couple of times in the past, but not in a lot of areas in the province and never for too long.)

Device(s)
    Xperia Z
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    If Rogers continues to only cover highways 11 and 16 I can't see them eating into Sasktel, Bells, or Telus's customer base here.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Rogers covers more than just 11 and 16 (they cover 1, 5 and 39 too plus a reasonable chunk of 10). When I was with Rogers I was surprised how infrequently I was outside their coverage area - it wasn't often.

What made me change was the EDGE at my cottage, where SaskTel was HSPA+, and not long afterward, LTE. That was 2 1/2 years ago that I ported, and Rogers is still only EDGE there (in fact, the 1900 MHz coverage there is only GPRS, which is *really* slow for data.)

Device(s)
    Xperia Z
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Nice to see Sasktel if offering Fusion internet to all there WBBI tower customers. Price is 20 bucks more a month but it is 5 mb service where the WBBI towers were 2mb. The Fusion price is the same price as Yourlink for their 5 mb service.

Feedback Score
    Does Sasktel have any plans to share the 700MHz Spectrum with Bell and Telus like they currently have a roaming agreement or are the 3 going to split up in Saskatchwan going fwd? It would be nice if they work together again to help the rural customers.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frac Master View Post
    Does Sasktel have any plans to share the 700MHz Spectrum with Bell and Telus like they currently have a roaming agreement or are the 3 going to split up in Saskatchwan going fwd? It would be nice if they work together again to help the rural customers.
    Telus bought a LOT of spectrum but I don't know what they are planning to do with it. Will they be sharing it with SaskTel? Not likely.. but, seeing that Sasktel is giving Telus service all over SK, it could be very possible, just like how in Manitoban Rogers customers get access to MTS' AWS LTE service as soon as it is turned on.
    Man gets hit by Brick Phone! Ouch!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    My guess would be that SaskTel would *not* share its 700 MHz spectrum. It will be far cheaper and easier for SaskTel to put radios on existing towers than for Telus to put up new service, and that will give SaskTel a competitive advantage for years, even if SaskTel has a smaller block of spectrum.

Feedback Score
    So probably smarter to sign a contract with Telus instead of Bell in Saskatchewan for future coverage?? I was going to switch over to Bell for Bell TV but I fear Bell will have less coverage. I am really hoping they all decide to share again like they do right now. That way everyone wins.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    The only sure way to have access to the new SaskTel spectrum will be to subscribe to SaskTel services. What roaming privileges will exist for Bell and Telus remain to be seen.

If I recall,one of them bid on their own spectrum here in which case they'll launch their own 700 MHz network that would not have the same coverage footprint as SaskTel's. Some googling would clear this up but time doesn't permit me at the moment.

Device(s)
    Xperia Z
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Anyone know if there will be a usage cap on the Sasktel Fusion internet service and if so what is the cap set at? I need to know as yourlinks 5mb service is priced the same 79.99 but has no caps.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    The only sure way to have access to the new SaskTel spectrum will be to subscribe to SaskTel services. What roaming privileges will exist for Bell and Telus remain to be seen.

If I recall,one of them bid on their own spectrum here in which case they'll launch their own 700 MHz network that would not have the same coverage footprint as SaskTel's. Some googling would clear this up but time doesn't permit me at the moment.
    I'm not sure how far the Telus-Bell-Sasktel agreement goes, but I would imagine that Bell and Telus customers will have access to whatever 700 mhz is deployed eventually.

All of the Big 3 bought spectrum in ever province.

What could be really interesting is if Telus' 10x10 mhz band 12 spectrum gets utilized, along with another combined 10x10 mhz of Bell's and Sasktel's band 13 spectrum. That could be one hell of a network, not even including AWS.