Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Timeline for Bell CDMA shutdown including end date

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,432
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

    Timeline for Bell CDMA shutdown including end date

    March 31 2014 TELUS is shutting down EVDO in BC, AB (not Edmonton and Calgary) You'll have to use 1x in these areas
    Dec 31 2014 TBayTel is shutting down 1x in ThunderBay no more CDMA service at all including 911 emergency calls
    July 1 2015 No more Bell EVDO in Eastern Canada You'll have to use 1x in these areas
    July 1 2015 No more 1x in BC (except Fort Nelson), AB and parts of QC (areas surrounding Quebec City and along the Gaspe peninsula) no more CDMA service at all including 911 emergency calls
    Jan 1 2017 No more CDMA no more CDMA service at all including 911 emergency calls
    Just got an interesting PDF outlining how Bell and their network partners are going to be shutting down their CDMA networks. Basically they're shutting down EVDO first (probably since it uses more bandwidth) followed by 1x at a later.

    Anyone still using an EVDO device?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    465
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6 (64GB) (factory unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility (thanks retentions!)
    Feedback Score
    0
    What is going to happen to Verizon roamers?

    (Last time a friend of mine was up here with a Verizon iPhone, it could not access any UMTS/GSM networks)

    Other than Verizon roamers and onstar, I wonder if many CDMA devices are still out there. My aunt had one but it was replaced last year with a $25 samsung flip phone; I suspect most others, like hers, have seriously dead batteries by now...


    via the HoFo App

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,000
    Carrier(s)
    prepaid baby
    Feedback Score
    0
    good for Bell and Telus.. This a wake up call to VZW open up or get shut out on roaming in Canada.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,033
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VivienM View Post
    What is going to happen to Verizon roamers?

    (Last time a friend of mine was up here with a Verizon iPhone, it could not access any UMTS/GSM networks)

    Other than Verizon roamers and onstar, I wonder if many CDMA devices are still out there. My aunt had one but it was replaced last year with a $25 samsung flip phone; I suspect most others, like hers, have seriously dead batteries by now...


    via the HoFo App
    Those with very old phones will be SOL, but any modern one will be fine as they support HSPA for global roaming capabilities. Over in the Verizon forums, people have reported being able to roam on select Canadian HSPA networks on certain devices.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,758
    Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    0
    Per another thread (where they discuss using one particular VZW phone in Canada), one VZW update enabled UMTS and HSPA roaming on Telus including data, the next broke it (made it voice only due to faulty APN handling, with EVDO/1x preferred). This does indicate VZW is at least getting the Canadian HSPA/UMTS/LTE roaming agreements in place for those devices that support it.

    Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,000
    Carrier(s)
    prepaid baby
    Feedback Score
    0
    yes im curious about the new roaming HSPA/UMTS/LTE on Bell Telus or Rodgers on Verizon. anyone roaming in any of big cities lately up there on verizon?
    ATT now has LTE roaming on all three i can confirm that from two months ago. would register on Bell and Telus LTE in addtion to Rodgers. confirmed..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    465
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6 (64GB) (factory unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility (thanks retentions!)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Verizon's difficulty with LTE roaming will be the fact that many of their devices only support the 700c band (whose number I can't look up right now), and while bell/telus got that spectrum in the auction, I don't see them being in a hurry to deploy it.


    via the HoFo App

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,294
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VivienM View Post
    Verizon's difficulty with LTE roaming will be the fact that many of their devices only support the 700c band (whose number I can't look up right now), and while bell/telus got that spectrum in the auction, I don't see them being in a hurry to deploy it.


    via the HoFo App
    I would imagine that deploying that frequency should not be considerably more complicated than turning lower 700 on. That doesn't mean Belus devices (other than current-gen iPhones & iPads) will actually be able to use it. But certainly it will have been deployed before 1x shuts down.

    Not surprised TBayTel is dumping CDMA the soonest. They have no desire to continue making it available to that dwindling segment of Belus CDMA customers especially now that they are enemies. And their new friends at Rogers have no use for the CDMA but would love to pool the spectrum together for more 3G/4G.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    465
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6 (64GB) (factory unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility (thanks retentions!)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    I would imagine that deploying that frequency should not be considerably more complicated than turning lower 700 on. That doesn't mean Belus devices (other than current-gen iPhones & iPads) will actually be able to use it. But certainly it will have been deployed before 1x shuts down.
    I guess the question is how much hardware is required to support that band. If it's just a software thing and the equipment that does lower 700 (Band 12/17) will also do Band 13 (700c) simultaneously, then why not deploy it? (especially since Bellus has much less lower 700 than Rogers' $2.5B purchase)

    But if there's an actual hardware cost, why spend the money on something that only Verizon roamers and current-generation iThings will be able to use for now?

    (Then again... if iThings make up a huge share of LTE devices, maybe it makes solid sense to deploy it sooner...)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,294
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think "iThings" have a high enough market share in Canada that even if only iPhone 5S, 5C and current generation iPad can access the band, enabling it will take a significant load off the more universally supported lower 700 spectrum. I would bet that new rural LTE deployments will see both bands ASAP, as these are areas where AWS is inefficient and 5 MHz of spectrum would be very limiting.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    465
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6 (64GB) (factory unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility (thanks retentions!)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    I think "iThings" have a high enough market share in Canada that even if only iPhone 5S, 5C and current generation iPad can access the band, enabling it will take a significant load off the more universally supported lower 700 spectrum. I would bet that new rural LTE deployments will see both bands ASAP, as these are areas where AWS is inefficient and 5 MHz of spectrum would be very limiting.
    I'm sure the late Steve Jobs would have been greatly amused at the idea of carriers effectively dedicating spectrum to his iThings... but you may well be right.

    For rural deployments, does any of the client hardware used there (e.g. those hotspot thingies) support band 13?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,806
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Oh great, at least I have more than a year to convince my parents to ditch their Audiovox 8600 phones... with original batteries, no less...

    ... looks like it'll be a pair of Samsung s275 phones... Of course my parents have REALLY REALLY good memories of how bad their old 1X Samsung phones were, even though they can barely remember what they had for breakfast.

    Cheeri'o...
    Frankie...

    Please Note: I do not work for Bell. I also do not work for any wireless retail outlet.
    Do not ask me about promotions or offers from wireless providers.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,268
    Device(s)
    BlackBerry Priv VeniceNA
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile/Telus
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think for the heck of it I should reactivate my Palm Pre...
    Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    465
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6 (64GB) (factory unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility (thanks retentions!)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie5string View Post
    ... looks like it'll be a pair of Samsung s275 phones... Of course my parents have REALLY REALLY good memories of how bad their old 1X Samsung phones were, even though they can barely remember what they had for breakfast.
    The S275 is great, you can get them on sale at Future Shop almost every time they do their online-only holiday sales for about $30...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-20-2008, 06:23 PM
  2. FS: Samsung n370, pay as you go account for Bell Mobility is included. 6pm. start
    By mitsubishiman in forum Non GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2003, 04:52 AM
  3. WTB Motorola ST7760/7868 CDMA for bell/Aliant network
    By mwelch in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2002, 05:06 PM
  4. Bell IS there no market for used Bell CDMA phones?
    By shinjiplus in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-06-2002, 01:10 AM
  5. Wtb: Cdma Startac For Bell Mobility
    By thehondapimp in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2002, 03:13 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks