Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: how much will it cost to have 40GB data with 1 smartphone & 2 dumbphones on Verizon?

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greg5green View Post
    Why would you want to watch large amounts of Netflix on your phone? I get the music and surfing, but Netflix video?
    That's the big question. Watching video on a 4 or 5" screen is no fun. I've watched basketball a few times when I wasn't near a real TV, and yeah, it sucked. And Netflix is completely pointless, as you don't have to watch xyz show exactly at that moment. Wait until you're in front of a good TV and surround sound system and you can actually enjoy what you're watching. I value relaxing in front of the TV sometimes, but I don't know how Americans have been sold this crazy idea that somehow we need to constantly be rotting our minds in front of a miniature tube, so to speak (although AMOLED has absolutely nothing in common with a CRT tube).

If you're driving you obviously can't be watching video, and if you're on a train or something, just read the news or a book or something, and watch TV when you get home!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    Watching video on a 4 or 5" screen is no fun. I've watched basketball a few times when I wasn't near a real TV, and yeah, it sucked. And Netflix is completely pointless, as you don't have to watch xyz show exactly at that moment. Wait until you're in front of a good TV and surround sound system and you can actually enjoy what you're watching.
    No fun...for you maybe? Clearly millions of Americans love watching Live TV or Streaming Videos when they're not near their television sets.
    Do you always carry your flat screen TV and surround sound so you can watch a ball game on the go? I thought so.

Have you ever seen an SNL skit called "Debby Downer"?
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Device(s)
    Note 9, S9, S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score

I have been monitoring this thread and am temporally closing it for two days.
    After it is reopened, please stay on topic, no more "bullying" or name calling. You can make your point without it.
    ==>My Amazon page with LED car headlight bulbs: Diamond Vision LED

=>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Device(s)
    Note 9, S9, S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post

I have been monitoring this thread and am temporally closing it for two days.
    After it is reopened, please stay on topic, no more "bullying" or name calling. You can make your point without it.
    Thread reopened. Please play nice, or expect to be banned for a while.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    No fun...for you maybe? Clearly millions of Americans love watching Live TV or Streaming Videos when they're not near their television sets.
    Do you always carry your flat screen TV and surround sound so you can watch a ball game on the go? I thought so.

Have you ever seen an SNL skit called "Debby Downer"?
    I try to be at home. You lose so much from the experience when watching it on a tiny screen. I don't think millions of people are actually streaming anything more than short YouTube clips on their phones, which can easily be done without consuming a large amount of data.

Feedback Score
    I try to be at home. You lose so much from the experience when watching it on a tiny screen. I don't think millions of people are actually streaming anything more than short YouTube clips on their phones, which can easily be done without consuming a large amount of data.
    I just bought a Verizon Global HotSpot and put in an AT&T GoPhone SIM into it on the $35 dumbphone plan. I've used up about 200GB so far this week watching Netflix and torrenting the latest seasons of my favorite shows. I'm not complaining about my HD Mobile viewing experience.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gameaddict8 View Post
    Wifi hotspot to tablet
    I guess this↑ post was too succinctly direct to register?

It's what I have done and it works super. It's not a tiny 4" or 5" (not so tiny, really) display. And since I'm contracted and paying for UL data there is no reason at all not to use it – freely.

Would it be even better on a full-sized LCD HD TV? Of course, but that TV doesn't have a battery and it won't fit in my pocket. So the Xoom beats the heck out of reading a book while I wait for the wife to finish shopping.

♪ Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 04-21-2014 at 06:56 AM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It's a logical conclusion given that there is no legitimate use case for even a fraction of that much data on a smartphone.
    Oh geez... here we go again.

Tethering and streaming video. Netflix and Hulu binges on the Roku. Video podcasts. Live streams. Windows and other OS updates. They don't say we can't, and $30 a month on top of the 29.99 unlimited data plan ($59.99 per month) makes all that tethering goodness legit--a legit bargain!

As I'm currently the sole user in my household, it's a bargain not having to pay $45 for DSL or $60 for cable. For a mere $30, I get something that works quite well at my house (seriously, I get great speeds and pings in this neighborhood), and I can bring it with me wherever I go. How cool is that?

I'm moving back into my house after renting it out for a few years, and this time, I'm cutting the cord. (I might eventually get a DSL line if I get into any serious home automation/security, but that won't be soon.)

Grandfathered unlimited data customers can still add the $30 unlimited WiFi tethering feature. If users of this feature were over-stressing the network as a group, Verizon wouldn't offer it.

Evidently, VZW's bean counters gladly take our money, while the network people do a pretty good job keeping it humming along for every paying customer, from 200 MB to 200 GB--except, as we all know, in Connecticut.

Device(s)
    Motorola V710 (Alltel Flash)
    Carrier(s)
    AllTel
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just to add some spice to the conversation.... If you have a government or non profit Verizon contract... You can get unlimited Jetpack still for $39.99...."now talk among yourselves ".....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Following up: Third-party and native tethering are also "legit" – or at least they work well on rooted devices and vzw doesn't ever complain – and that's without the extra $30 monthly. There is zero *unambiguous* language from vzw directly stating otherwise.

As for the OP, it's – more or less – "stupid" for anyone to move away from vzw $30 GF UL anytime – just a matter of degree, IMO.

♪ Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 04-21-2014 at 11:08 AM.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    I just bought a Verizon Global HotSpot and put in an AT&T GoPhone SIM into it on the $35 dumbphone plan. I've used up about 200GB so far this week watching Netflix and torrenting the latest seasons of my favorite shows. I'm not complaining about my HD Mobile viewing experience.
    I have to give you a few points for creativity, but that's just completely insane. Why on earth are you doing that on a mobile broadband connection? Apparently AT&T needs to put a lid on those plans and kick blatantly abusive users. They can easily throttle too.

Quote Originally Posted by thegonagle View Post
    Oh geez... here we go again.

Tethering and streaming video. Netflix and Hulu binges on the Roku. Video podcasts. Live streams. Windows and other OS updates. They don't say we can't, and $30 a month on top of the 29.99 unlimited data plan ($59.99 per month) makes all that tethering goodness legit--a legit bargain!

As I'm currently the sole user in my household, it's a bargain not having to pay $45 for DSL or $60 for cable. For a mere $30, I get something that works quite well at my house (seriously, I get great speeds and pings in this neighborhood), and I can bring it with me wherever I go. How cool is that?
    That is just bold-faced abuse, plain and simple. I would have some sympathy if you lived in the middle of nowhere and had no DSL or cable available. However, using 4G LTE to replace home internet is not only a poor experience, but it is blatant abuse. A wireless plan was never meant to compete with home internet connectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    As for the OP, it's – more or less – "stupid" for anyone to move away from vzw $30 GF UL anytime – just a matter of degree, IMO.
    Any Unlimited user who hasn't already switched away from Unlimited and uses a reasonable amount of data would be best off trying to get the 6GB plan, which for any reasonable user, is the same as Unlimited. The OP is obviously not a reasonable user.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Now I'm being libelled as 'unreasonable', "blatantly abusive" and "completely insane"!

Are the Mods gonna close this thread or not?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Are the Mods gonna close this thread or not?
    And that would be an affirmative "YES"
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    And that would be an affirmative "YES"
    I hate when people are banned, but it had to be done. Hopefully the lesson is learned, and it doesn't have to be done again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3