Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: AT&T threatens to boycott airwave auction

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Good for Wheeler. Wish he'd display the same kind of backbone and resolve in protecting the open internet,

♪ Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    LTE has a roadmap. Is the tech you're waiting for a scheduled stop? Or are we gonna drive right by it and leave that spectrum hanging for years [i[and[/I] "years after…"?
    The idea is that a company like AT&T could say, "we could migrate people off UMTS in, say, 3 years and we could wedge LTE onto that old spectrum or we could recycle it and get spectrum that better fits." AT&T can't just give up its cellular spectrum today. Customers are using it. However, it's reasonable to think that UMTS won't be around forever and AT&T could be incentivised to sunset it earlier. That 25MHz of cellular spectrum isn't really good for LTE. You can put a 10+10 deployment on it, but then there's 5MHz sitting there leftover. That's not good.

Forget auctions or anything. Let's say that a carrier had 25MHz of cellular spectrum and 35MHz of PCS spectrum (60MHz total). What can they deploy for LTE? Well, 10+10 on cellular and 15+15 on PCS. That's not ideal because 10MHz is being wasted (17%) and they can't deploy 20+20. An agreement between the FCC and that carrier to exchange that spectrum for contiguous spectrum would be in the best interests of all parties. The carrier gets contiguous spectrum to deploy better services for the public. The problem is that such a reconfiguration wouldn't be flicking a switch. It would take time. In the meantime, the carrier couldn't just shut down operations. In order to make such a reconfiguration scheme work, there would have to be a time period allowed for the carrier to launch mature service on the new spectrum before turning off service on the old spectrum and returning it to the FCC.

I just wonder if all of this new push by T-Mobile is too little too late. I love their new pricing, and you can tell by the numbers a ton of others do too, but have they put the cart before the horse? Maybe they should have gotten their network beefed and sped up (especially in rural areas) and THEN did all this, instead of doing the uncarrier thing and working on their network as they go along. I have a feeling a lot of new customers are going to examine their speeds and coverage, and realize maybe it was too good to be true. I wish them the best though. In major cities they are excellent, but America is much more than just those places.
    I think T-Mobile is showing that it isn't too late. I thought when the AT&T merger wasn't approved that T-Mobile would continue its slide. Sprint has been in a slide for years and T-Mobile was a comparatively weaker carrier with less 3G than Sprint and no LTE (not even a plan for it). But T-Mobile took some bold moves and showed its relevance. T-Mobile's network may not be the broadest, but its urban LTE is fast and if you're on HSPA+, you're getting decent speed out of that network. T-Mobile has bought enough 700MHz to cover half the US population and Legere has made no secret that T-Mobile is going to be aggressive. There are limiting factors like the availability of 700MHz spectrum someone is willing to sell. However, T-Mobile made the right move. They launched LTE aggressively in urban areas for the millions of people that spend their time in those urban areas. They made aggressive moves on their pricing and how they operate.

T-Mobile doesn't need to be the carrier for all Americans. It needs to be the carrier for enough Americans that they're strong, viable competition. Neither AT&T nor Verizon are the carrier for all Americans.

T-Mobile swung from a $7B loss in 2012 to breaking even in 2013. T-Mobile lost 2M customers in 2012 while gaining 2M in 2013. I'm not arguing that T-Mobile is the carrier for you. However, for many people it has a less-loaded LTE network, cheaper pricing, different terms, etc. which can make it an attractive choice.

Whether or not T-Mobile is a good choice as a wireless carrier, their steps aren't too little too late. They are providing competition and the most meaningful shake-up to the industry in a long while. Everyone followed T-Mobile's lead on JUMP, AT&T has introduced cheaper pricing when you bring your own phone or use NEXT, Sprint is now temporarily paying the ETF for people that want to switch, etc. And T-Mobile is doing this while breaking even. In the long run, T-Mobile wants to be profitable, but that can come with scale. As you said, even if we don't use T-Mobile we wish them the best because they can provide pressure for the carrier we would prefer to have better plans.

T-Mobile may never have our business, but they are successful. They're adding customers at a clip AT&T should be jealous of, everyone is following their moves, and they aren't losing substantial amounts of money in the process. Heck, they even have a plan for 20+20 LTE in most areas (more than can be said about AT&T) and they're planning to use low-frequency spectrum to improve coverage. T-Mobile will be a better carrier in the future, but the perfect is the enemy of the good enough. T-Mobile is good enough for many with the promise of getting better - and that promise can mean a lot to consumers. T-Mobile's quick iteration leaves consumers felling confident that they aren't going to let off the gas. They won't hit AT&T or Verizon style rural coverage anytime soon, but they will keep improving and so if T-Mobile is good enough for you today, there's a confidence that you'll like it even more in 6 months.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sashaP View Post

T-Mobile doesn't need to be the carrier for all Americans. It needs to be the carrier for enough Americans that they're strong, viable competition. Neither AT&T nor Verizon are the carrier for all Americans.

That's exactly what they are trying to be though. Up here in Mendocino County in Northwestern California (and across the rest of NW CA), they have started rolling out HSPA, though it's pretty slow at the moment, it maxes out at around 2.5 Mbps down, a definite lack of backhaul. They are also starting to integrate Metro PCS's LTE into their network here, but Metro's coverage is pretty small compared to the other guys. I think, at least I hope they will improve in areas like ours, but they always seem to be playing catch up with AT&T, VZ and USCC, and when those guys are onto the next generation, T-Mobile is just installing the last generation. That lower 700 they are getting from Verizon should help, but they need to start deploying it asap for it to make a difference.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Tmobile is doing a good job but they can't slack up now. They need to keep rolling with the upgrades and plan offerings etc.
    Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3