Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When will PagePlus get LTE

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score

When will PagePlus get LTE

There has been many rumors about this but nothing has turned out to be true. When do you think PagePlus will get LTE? I hope sometime before Verizon shuts down their CDMA network in 2021.

May it be possible PagePlus might be kicked off of Verizon and be forced to contract with another provider? Doubtful but possible it seems.

As far as I know LTE is far more spectral efficient for data than EVDO.

Why wont Verizon allow MVNOs on to there LTE network sooner due to this so they can recycle CDMA spectrum that is currently in use for EVDO for LTE? CDMA voice would still work in this case.

I'm reading other carriers are starting to shut down their CDMA network already which I believe Telus in Canada is doing by shutting down EVDO. MetroPCS owned by T-Mobile now plans to shutdown their CDMA network.

I know Verizon still uses CDMA for voice but I think they plan to do VoLTE this year? Read that they might even do VoLTE phones only.

What do you think is causing the stall? Verizon fearful of losing money?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't look look for PP or any other Verizon MVNO to get LTE until Verizon allows LTE on it's own Prepaid devices.

One thing I have noticed locally that is bad, we have a new Verizon tower that was recently installed less than a mile from me, but alas, it's 4G only.
    Mobile data is good. Life is too short to seek wifi just to check email.

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMountainMan View Post
    I wouldn't look look for PP or any other Verizon MVNO to get LTE until Verizon allows LTE on it's own Prepaid devices.
    Makes sense. Wonder when that will happen.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pclover View Post
    Makes sense. Wonder when that will happen.

When enough customers leave for other networks, they will be forced to provide LTE, but when is up to them.

Device(s)
    CDMA Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Verizon views their 3G network as essentially "free money" as most post-paid customers have been moved to LTE, and the 3G network is completely paid off. Any pre-paid customers on LTE are going to pay a lot more than 3G.

Personally, I don't know how much longer they can hold out; AT&T allows pre-paid on LTE and their pre-paid network isn't too bad. (The Sprint and TMo pre-paid networks are a joke.)

Feedback Score
    " Verizon shuts down their CDMA network in 2021"?

This means VZW will allow MVNO LTE access in 2019 for a smooth transition.
    LoL.
    Just my 2 cents!

Feedback Score
    Verizon has to have some incentive for people to go with their postpaid service vs. an MVNO at half the price. Right now that incentive is getting LTE data speeds and access via the latest handsets without flashing, plus slightly better coverage through roaming. It seems like this is working out pretty well right now from Verizon's perspective. They get the Class A customers all paying Class A prices and also get to serve all the Class B customers as well without seeing a complete migration of Class A customers to Class B pricing. If/when Verizon goes to all LTE, then I wouldn't be surprised if they throttle the speed of LTE for Class B customers in order to maintain the division.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I certainly wouldn't hold my breath or believe any rumors about it happening soon. We keep seeing rumors that it is coming next quarter, I have been hearing late next quarter for at least two years, that is a lot of quarters come and gone, and none of the rumors have been true yet.

It will happen one day, when is anybodies guess, and I am sure the same people who have been predicting it "next quarter" for the last two or three years will brag that they knew about it before anybody else.

Feedback Score
    After unexpectedly spending 4 days in Philadelphia (was supposed to be back the same day) and forgetting my phone at home and being forced to use my wife's (Atrix HD) and daughters (iPhone 5S) ATT phones I realize more than ever that LTE doesn't a make a bit of difference overall in real world use. Neither phone was consistently quicker than my Droid X2 on Page Plus for browsing the web. I used these LTE phones connected to LTE to browse the web for four straight days throughout Philly and the experience was no different than when I use my Page Plus 3G phone, sometimes it was fast, sometimes it was slow, most times it was so-so.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I look forward to LTE on Page Plus because it will eliminate the hassle of flashing LTE phones. When I use mobile-optimized apps such as forum apps on my phone, I don't see much of a difference whether I'm on 3G or on my home wifi which is fed by Verizon LTE at the moment. I think that LTE really shines when you are dealing with media intensive tasks such as watching HD video or downloading large media files, otherwise, 3G seems fine for my purposes.
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7, Verizon Unlimited

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Via Smartel
    Feedback Score
    for the 100 megs a month i use mobile data (im on wifi all the time) 3g is fine the only real advantage like others have mentioned is the ability to use 4g phones without flashing.

Feedback Score
    Don't really care about LTE, what I do care about is getting more GB for less money. If I do decide to ditch the home internet and go phone only I'll go with AIO wireless just to get the 5GB for 55 bucks or 2.5GB for 45 bucks. They beat page plus in total bandwidth.. that's what matters to me.... it's also LTE so win win I suppose.

I may go to selectel just to get the 1500 texts along with the 2000 minutes for 12 months... haven't decided yet. Phones are expensive, my high end home internet equipment is already purchased... a moto G only costs 65 bucks.... versus a nexus 5 $375

Feedback Score
    My guess is 2 or 3 years before PP catches up to Metro and others for faster speeds.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Via Smartel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
    Don't really care about LTE, what I do care about is getting more GB for less money. If I do decide to ditch the home internet and go phone only I'll go with AIO wireless just to get the 5GB for 55 bucks or 2.5GB for 45 bucks. They beat page plus in total bandwidth.. that's what matters to me.... it's also LTE so win win I suppose.

I may go to selectel just to get the 1500 texts along with the 2000 minutes for 12 months... haven't decided yet. Phones are expensive, my high end home internet equipment is already purchased... a moto G only costs 65 bucks.... versus a nexus 5 $375
    How could u survive on 5 gigs a month without home internet i checked my home lines usage last night im at 250 GB with about 5 days left in the cycle.

Device(s)
    Sony Xperia X Compact
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone(AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    If you are streaming movies or full-length episodes of TV shows, there is no way you are going to be able to fit that within 5 GB, unless maybe you use your phone to watch it (so you don't get the higher quality streams) and don't watch often, and even then you still might go over. Software updates on your phone and computer(s) (if you have any) are also likely to bleed out a chunk of your data when you don't have that other internet connection. Also, if you use a prepaid provider offering unlimited data, the terms likely prohibit sharing the data connection with other devices (unless you get a non-phone device meant to share the data).

I'm not saying it can't be done, but depending on what you do, you might need to give up some things to make it work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast