Thread: Easiest way for a teen to have a phone for France, Spain, & Italy for two weeks

Feedback Score

Easiest way for a teen to have a phone for France, Spain, & Italy for two weeks

My 16 year old daughter is going on a school trip to France, Spain and Italy and I'd like to figure out how to have a phone for her to use while over there. One of my coworkers said the easiest thing he ever did was buy a burner and put an international sim into it. Does that still work? Any other ideas? She's not that tech savy so it's got to be something I can do before she leaves the US.

p.s. our regular carrier is Verizon (for now)

Device(s)
    Nokia 2720
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by archimeech View Post
    My 16 year old daughter is going on a school trip to France, Spain and Italy and I'd like to figure out how to have a phone for her to use while over there. One of my coworkers said the easiest thing he ever did was buy a burner and put an international sim into it. Does that still work? Any other ideas? She's not that tech savy so it's got to be something I can do before she leaves the US.

p.s. our regular carrier is Verizon (for now)
    The easiest answer is rent a phone for her from Verizon ; the charges will run onto your regular bill. An international SIM and a European phone will be almost the same money and some nuisance. For a few dollars more you could get a prepaid and phone for each country.

Folks on HowardForums are into "inexpensive" and will go to some length to save a few bucks.

My suggestion is to strike a deal with a chaprone ...

Regards, FJ

Feedback Score
    Thanks, FJ. Always happy to hear a voice of reason.

Feedback Score
    I (and several other parents) did what Frontierjustice suggested when my daughter and her high school group went to Europe 3 years ago. We each pitched in a few bucks to a teacher/chaperone that we "voted" to do this. It worked out very well!

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Technically, you wouldn't need to get a different prepaid SIM/phone for each country as you could just get one SIM for use in all three. Not to mention, the same country code + number can be used without having to change or remember a new one.

When I was a Marine deployed with the US Navy, we use to get prepaid phones sent from the Naval Support Facility Naples, Italy that we used for the UK, Belgium, France, Spain, Italy, Greece, Croatia, and Albania. I had my own personal phone with AT&T with international calling and had no problems calling back to the US and the costs wasn't much.

Best option to setup before going on the trip is to get international dialing and calling put on your Verizon accounts now and talk to a Rep about the costs and instructions on how to use/dial outside the US for your daughter. Also if needed, an international phone if your daughters current phone isn't international compatible. Vodafone partially owns Verizon so they should have good rates in Spain and Italy and roaming on a partner provider for France.

Feedback Score
    Vodafone Italy prepaid roams whole of Europe for €3 a day when used, 25mins in and 25 mins out local 50 text and 500mb data, that's the best deal for Europe however most of the places that sell it online are out of stock, try n find a roaming plan from the US there seems to be a lot of options there