Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beeps During Calls

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile; Verizon
    Feedback Score

Beeps During Calls

Has anyone noticed while on the phone random beeps that sounds like someone is hitting a number on the keypad? You hear it but the other person does not.

I finally got AT&T to say that their network people have been aware of the issue for months but haven't found a solution or cause yet.

I was curious about users here and if anyone here has experienced that. What are you thoughts?
    Join In

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    As a former CS rep for At&t, I had heard of similar issues. The expression we used was "cross-talk". It was a network issue that the engineers/tier II tehnicians had to research/resolve. I can't really explain what caused it but I assure you that I have heard of it.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Could it be the minute counter is on?
    Today a group of leading venture capitalists published an open letter to the FCC calling on them to prevent what they say would be the end of net neutrality and a crippling blow to young startups.
    No Google, say it ain't (or wouldn't of been ) so! ATT and Verizon would have killed their own cash cow.

Device(s)
    NOKIA Lumia 1520, NOKIA Lumia 920 (wife's phone, NOW)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quite possibly !
    informed/intelligent comments are welcome ... BS - not so much ...

peace,
    ROK

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Has anyone noticed while on the phone random beeps that sounds like someone is hitting a number on the keypad? You hear it but the other person does not.

I finally got AT&T to say that their network people have been aware of the issue for months but haven't found a solution or cause yet.

I was curious about users here and if anyone here has experienced that. What are you thoughts?
    Holy crap. This happens to me daily at least once. I thought it was just my phone or something. It literally sounds like someone taps and holds a button for half a second. No clue how to get rid of this.
    Your results may vary. Network performance differs per user location.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile; Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    Could it be the minute counter is on?
    No, its not that. I don't have a minute counter beep.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    The cellular network tries to hear DTMF (touch tone) tones and reproduces them on the other end because the digital compression used on digital cellular (and VoIP) calls distorts the tones. Sometimes the network guesses wrong and thinks it hears a tone when it doesn't.
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, Toggle Mobile (UK/FR/US), GiffGaff (UK)

GSM phones: Too many to list.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile; Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    The cellular network tries to hear DTMF (touch tone) tones and reproduces them on the other end because the digital compression used on digital cellular (and VoIP) calls distorts the tones. Sometimes the network guesses wrong and thinks it hears a tone when it doesn't.
    Interesting. I wonder why it started only within the last year or so, relatively recent. What has changed?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Interesting. I wonder why it started only within the last year or so, relatively recent. What has changed?
    I'm not sure, but I certainly run into it fairly often. I think all providers have the problem from time to time, but the noise on the connection, the tone of someone's voice, your signal strength into the cellsite, and the quality of the provider's DTMF detection hardware all must play a role.

Device(s)
    HP Veer
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    Sometimes when I use my Motorola Select 2000e I hear a deafening screeching noise that lasts for about 2 seconds, is that the same thing?
    More Bars in More Places.

Feedback Score
    I never hear any beeping sounds during my calls. They are usually always very clear.

Sent from my iPhone 5S.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Perhaps it's the NSA listening in on a live call, or initiating recording? The rumor has always been when they do that on a cell phone, there's this clicking noise on the "line", and sometimes a beeping sound.

Edit: No, I'm not saying that to get a political rise out of anyone, so please don't over react.. it's a viable thought, something that *could* happen.
    Call Me Bubbles Dahhhlin... Everyone Does! ||

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tbonecopper View Post
    Perhaps it's the NSA listening in on a live call, or initiating recording? The rumor has always been when they do that on a cell phone, there's this clicking noise on the "line", and sometimes a beeping sound.

Edit: No, I'm not saying that to get a political rise out of anyone, so please don't over react.. it's a viable thought, something that *could* happen.
    Maybe if you believe in ridiculous conspiracy theories... With tandem switching all digital, there is no reason why there would be any clicking or beeping to listen in or record conversations..

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    I always thought the beeps were my reputation catching up to me with one of the exes recording my calls

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile; Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    I'm not sure, but I certainly run into it fairly often. I think all providers have the problem from time to time, but the noise on the connection, the tone of someone's voice, your signal strength into the cellsite, and the quality of the provider's DTMF detection hardware all must play a role.
    This seems to be the most logical explanation. I have read online that its happening on various carriers with various handsets. I am just curious as to why it started recently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast