Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New network restrictions start 6-1-14

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

New network restrictions start 6-1-14

Received from VM via TXT;

"Beginning 6/1/14, to provide more customers with a high quality data experience during heavy usage times, Virgin Mobile USA may manage prioritization of access to network resources in congested areas for customers within the top 5% of data users. For more info visit virginmobileusa.com/networkmanagement."

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Didn't realize their compressed image and reduced/throttled video qualities could get even worse. Or are LTE customers currently exempt?

The good thing is that since a lot of sites have switched to HTTPS, those images can't be compressed anymore. I remember when tumblr and facebook didn't use HTTPS, their images were compressed heavily on Virgin.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    iPhone8, Galaxy_S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, Total_Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    Received from VM via TXT;

"Beginning 6/1/14, to provide more customers with a high quality data experience during heavy usage times, Virgin Mobile USA may manage prioritization of access to network resources in congested areas for customers within the top 5% of data users. For more info visit virginmobileusa.com/networkmanagement."

via the HoFo App
    Brilliant, just Brilliant!
    PREPAID means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

Virgin Mobile: $50 / $10 | Total Wireless: $25

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Sprint seems to be trying to kill of prepaid by having them compete against each other. Why get a $40 PayLo plan when you can get the same plan on Boost with 10 times the data? Why get the $55 plan on Virgin when you can have the same plan on Boost for $5 less per month? Or for $5 more you can get twice the "high speed data." It's sad that it looks like they are trying to push people over to Boost Mobile, when you can spend the same amount of money on a phone and get put on a Framily plan for $45 and have unlimited everything and roaming on Verizon. It seemed for a while that there would be a three horse race for the top prepaid spot, but now it looks like Sprint may be letting T-Mobile and AT&T duke it out for prepaid customers.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It's all quite sad really. The new plans announced by Boost are fairly pathetic, and this announcement is also pathetic.

Sprint appears absolutely directionless at this point. It's sad but also kind of laughable.

Sprint requires a new CEO and the pre-paid options (boost & virgin) need to be merged. Also, they need to offer MORE to attract new customers. And please stop attaching the word freedom to horrible plans and coming up with dumb names like Framily.

Everything they do is wrong :/

via the HoFo App
    Last edited by cellphone-guy; 05-06-2014 at 11:16 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone: Samsung Orbit J3, Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra, Moto e4, Padfone X, LG Rebel 3. Tello: ZTE Max XL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    Sprint appears absolutely directionless at this point. It's sad but also kind of laughable.
    I'm glad I still have kept my GoPhone functional despite hopping back on VM in March. At least their 4G LTE is actually fast, and they won't monkey around with your speed. Sprint is to wireless what K-Mart is to retail; utterly pointless.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    128 kbps throttle and this makes me happy I dumped VM/sprint recently.

Device(s)
    Samsung Charge
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It said 5GB or so usage would put you in the top 5% of data users, but if they throttle after 3GB it's going to be painful to be difficult to hit the 5GB mark at all considering how slow that last 2GB will be. Certainly not the place for high data users.

Device(s)
    Nexus⁴, Idol 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Or is high data users on VM. If so, everybody will be throttled the same and it may not take much over the cap to be the top 5%, or it won't even need to be over 2.5gb of data. I would think the majority of average users are under 1gb, if using WiFi a lot.
    LG Nexus⁴ -- OmniRom lollipop 5.1.1 -- LTE enabled
    Alcatel Idol 3 ------- Stock lollipop -- 5.0.2
    Acer A100 -- GodDroid CM10 4.1.2 @1.5ghz
    Old: Moto G, F3, Blaze 4g, SIII, OV, MT, Rise, Elite

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Is it saying that in "congested areas" they are going to prioritize the network by throttling those in the top 5% at that moment. I'm not sure that has anything to do with the 2.5gb monthly cap. You might find yourself in the top 5% at any given time during a congested period even if you're well below the monthly cap.

Carrier(s)
    Ting - R+ - Lyca - BYO - Selectel
    Feedback Score
    I would venture to say that Sprint is going to throttle all pre-paid services wherever so-called "congestion" affects their Post-Paid customers, so their Post-Paid customers will always have the fast lane, if you can call it that. In my case that would be where ever I regularly use my phone, as Sprint 3G and 4G LTE is pathetic in Monterey, San Benito and Most of Santa Clara Counties.
    I have to laugh, I could not even get 4g LTE in Campbell, CA. when visiting my Aunt on Easter, worse, I could not even get Google maps to download over Sprint 3G service in the same vicinity, too congested? At home 4G LTE finally showed up at the Mall and it gave me a whopping 385Kbps download speed, so much for Network Vision!

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    I feel your pain. I did a speed test this morning on my Boost phone with a strong 3G connection and got .1 Mbps down with .2 up and a ping of 219. That's with me going through less than 10% of my data limit. I'd hate to see what it would say if I were actually "throttled" to 2G.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Will this really even matter? VM gave me a free month on my $25 plan and data was unbearably SLOW. I may be used to LTE but I still use 3G on Verizon and that loads *much* quicker than Sprint 3G. My speedtest was something like 0.26Mb down and 0.23Mb up in the middle of the night. "Prioritizing" or throttling to above the speeds I already get won't affect me.

It's sad. I remember when Sprint/VM unveiled their $25 plan. That rocked the wireless industry and the Optimus V was hard to find (I tried the Intercept and returned it which I'm sure many others did as well). Unfortunately they didn't invest the time and money into their network and are now suffering the consequences, not to mention lack of any innovation.

I'm crossing my fingers that Sprint "Spark" turns things around, though I read somewhere that they were supposed to launch 5+5 LTE nationwide by 2017. Seriously?! T-Mobile launched with 10+10, upgraded us to 15+15, and is going to 20+20 soon. If true, it's just going to be another antiquated and overloaded network
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone XR
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 6 [AT&T] & iPhone 8 [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10) + iPad Mini 4 w/ T-Mobile LTE

Device(s)
    LG G6, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If they are giving postpaid customers "the fast lane" (as pfoneguy mentioned) it's understandable but it may only be specific areas at random times. The network however is far from completed and to already be making statements like this tells me that backhaul continues to be a big issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    Will this really even matter? VM gave me a free month on my $25 plan and data was unbearably SLOW. I may be used to LTE but I still use 3G on Verizon and that loads *much* quicker than Sprint 3G. My speedtest was something like 0.26Mb down and 0.23Mb up in the middle of the night. "Prioritizing" or throttling to above the speeds I already get won't affect me.

It's sad. I remember when Sprint/VM unveiled their $25 plan. That rocked the wireless industry and the Optimus V was hard to find (I tried the Intercept and returned it which I'm sure many others did as well). Unfortunately they didn't invest the time and money into their network and are now suffering the consequences, not to mention lack of any innovation.

I'm crossing my fingers that Sprint "Spark" turns things around, though I read somewhere that they were supposed to launch 5+5 LTE nationwide by 2017. Seriously?! T-Mobile launched with 10+10, upgraded us to 15+15, and is going to 20+20 soon. If true, it's just going to be another antiquated and overloaded network
    I agree, their $25 plan with the Intercept and Optimus was a great bargain. Although many people hated the Triumph I was lucky enough to get a fully working unit and LOVED my Triumph on a $25 plan. Me and 5 of my friends got the Triumph. Today... I am the only one of those 5 still on Virgin. The other four are on T-Mobile.

I really don't care what "Son" was able to do elsewhere, he's going to find that the American market is a different beast altogether. Apparently Sprint likes to add the word "Freedom" to all their plans and create tv commercials with hamsters in bubbles and zombies. What people are looking for is a good bargain and good service. At the moment... that's T-Mobile.

In my area T-Mobile is about 50 times better than Sprint in the signal reception/speed test department. Also, I have never met nicer customer service people in my life!

Another problem that Sprint faces (from my perspective) is that their phones are CDMA based. In fact, IMHO all of American is worse off for having to get stuck for so long with CDMA. It is so much more convenient to be able to simply pop a sim card between phones when changing providers or travelling abroad. CDMA has held the entire phone industry back in the U.S. T-Mobile is phasing out all of their CDMA phones at Metro.

I wish Sprint could actually do something right, like the $25 plan era. But those days are long gone. And, it is a certainty that T-Mobile will pass Sprint as the number 3 provider... which will be a HUGE turning point for the industry. Many of you may not want to hear it, but I really don't see Sprint coming back after that. Softbank will eventually sell off the company.

via the HoFo App

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast