Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Telus' Policy on NON-Telus Phones

Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score

Telus' Policy on NON-Telus Phones (Foreign Handsets)

So, you have obtained an unlocked CDMA digital phone that is not from Telus Mobility? You want to somehow activate that phone with Telus Mobility?

IT IS NOT POSSIBLE!

Telus Mobility will NOT allow for the addition of any foreign (non-Telus) ESN regardless if the phone is unlocked or not! Foreign phones cannot accept the Telus PRL, as they will not be accepted into the system. Even if it was possible, theoretically they will only be able to do so in an analog mode since the Telus PRL would not be loaded into the phone and features such as the Browser/Text Messaging/Downloads are not configured to the correct Telus settings. Meaning that your phone would not work properly...hence the reasoning behind the no-foreign handset policy.

Not to mention there would be virtually NO support for your handset from Telus if any problems were to occur.

So in short, you CANNOT use non-Telus phones on Telus Mobility's network. Please do NOT ask how it can be done because it cannot.

...and if you hear HC no "I" tell you that it CAN be done that's because he comes from another dimentional time-rift that uses far superior technology.
    Last edited by Jason; 08-11-2003 at 11:22 PM.

Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    ...I took the advice of a few people (especially HC no "I") asking for this to be added to the sticky's because of how much it gets asked on the forums.

Hopefully this deters some of the n00bs posting about it every week...

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility Since July 03
    Feedback Score
    Hey guys,

I just got this sweet-*** unlocked Verizon CDMA phone off e-bay for $3! It's CDMA too like Telus, so it should be fine, right? What do I tell the reps when I phone up to have it activated? Oh and can I get out of the $25 equipment swap fee while I'm at it?

Thanks!
    Scott.

(HINT: yes, that was a joke. it's okay to laugh. don't hate the playa....hate the game)

Device(s)
    Unlocked Shadow
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So what yer saying is that If I buy a phone from another source and I unlock it, I won't be able to hook it up with Telus?

Geesh.. How about if it was GSM..... AMPS only?? FRS on the Mike network?

If I go out of the service area will the phone portion of the Mike still work?

But if I'm in Toronto and someone from BC direct connects with me how much does it cost??

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Links to the non-Telus Phones / Foreign ESN FAQs

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ht=foreign+ESN

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...AQ#post1214608

It is NOT about compatability of technology... technincally, it is possible. BUT IT IS ALL ABOUT POLICY! So give it up!
    Last edited by HC - NO "i"; 08-12-2003 at 12:56 PM.
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Mutnat
    Hey guys,

I just got this sweet-*** unlocked Verizon CDMA phone off e-bay for $3! It's CDMA too like Telus, so it should be fine, right? What do I tell the reps when I phone up to have it activated? Oh and can I get out of the $25 equipment swap fee while I'm at it?
    Funny guy, huh?! Hehehe! Glad to see someone with a sense of humour! Thats always a good thing around here!

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility Since July 03
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by SwatZeR
    Funny guy, huh?! Hehehe! Glad to see someone with a sense of humour! Thats always a good thing around here!
    Thanks, I try!

And Howard, take a pill and have a little lie-down my friend.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Shadow
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So what yer saying is that If I buy a phone from another source and I unlock it, I won't be able to hook it up with Telus?
    It is NOT about compatability of technology... technincally, it is possible. BUT IT IS ALL ABOUT POLICY! So give it up!
    umm... I wuz kidding there Howard..

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    folks,

Now, the big red letters get your attention Do not worry, I have not lost my sense of humour! I am getting not mad but rather to facilitate those who choose NOT to accept the reality that TELUS East has set or to those who do not have the time, patience and efforts to study or research this topic.

Carrier(s)
    Fido, Telus/Bell
    Feedback Score

Re: Telus' Policy on NON-Telus Phones (Foreign Handsets)

Originally posted by SwatZeR
    Foreign phones cannot accept the Telus PRL, as they will not be accepted into the system. Even if it was possible, theoretically they will only be able to do so in an analog mode since the Telus PRL would not be loaded into the phone and features such as the Browser/Text Messaging/Downloads are not configured to the correct Telus settings.
    Since this is now a sticky, thought I might nitpick a little bit. Sorry!

Technically, any handset will accept a standard PRL (IS-683?) including Telus' 5121 PRL. Loading a PRL and adding an ESN to the switch are two independant issues.

Device(s)
    Moto X SkyNET edition
    Carrier(s)
    To be determined
    Feedback Score
    Wow, when I got my Verizon T720c I programmed in the 5121 PRL and called up Telus via *811, it was activated less then 5 minutes later. When the T720c died I called them up and switched back to my Verizon v60c, again with no problems at all. This was all in the last few months.
    So to say its impossible is pushing it a little - its certainly possible in the west...

But yes it is important to have the correct PRL and you do have to realize that some features may not work(but they usually do...)

Device(s)
    Motorola I880
    Carrier(s)
    City Telus.
    Feedback Score
    URBAN MYTH. Adding a digital phone into the inventory will only allow the phone to work in analogue mode.
    Photos available on request.

There are only 3 people that can add a foreign ESN to the inventory, none of them post on this newsgroup.
    John. H.

I do not fear the white van!

[email protected]

Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Helmsley
    URBAN MYTH. Adding a digital phone into the inventory will only allow the phone to work in analogue mode.
    Photos available on request.
    Adding the phone into inventory will:

1) Allow the phone to operate in digital mode, but

2) The network will only recognize it as an analog phone so certain digital features may not work or may not be offered by TELUS.
    TELUS Mobility
    the future is friendly

Device(s)
    HTC TOUCH
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Hahahaha. I love the conflicting information here.
    And we wonder why people keep asking the same question over and over!!!

Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    It's conflicting because people like Helmsley and HC no "I" have the ability to use non-Telus phones. They are the exception to the rule. They are the only 2 people I know of that claim they can use their non-Telus phones & all the digital capabilites with no problems.

For the average customer, they will not have the contacts that Helmsley and HC no "I" have.

So can it be done? According to those two, yes. For everyone else - no.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast