Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: $30 prepaid: How to switch my phone but keep my "new customer" $30 plan?

Device(s)
    Sony Z Ultra GPe
    Feedback Score

$30 prepaid: How to switch my phone but keep my "new customer" $30 plan?

I use T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan, which is available only to new customers. I use it with my unlocked T-Mobile (T879) Galaxy Note 1, which uses a full-size SIM card.

I want to switch my plan to my new phone, a Sony Z Ultra Google Play Edition (unlocked). The Sony uses a microSIM. I will no longer need cellular access on my Note 1; it will be retired to my car, to serve as a digital dashboard.

I've been on the HowardForums Wiki and I've been on T-Mobile's site, but I'm still confused. If both phones used the same-size SIM, I could just move the SIM, perhaps enter the new IMEI, and be done with it. But I need a microSIM, and I want to make sure that when I activate it, T-Mobile doesn't deny me the $30 plan because I'm not a new customer.

I've been to T-Mobile's SIM site, but I don't see my particular concern addressed: How can I avoid losing the right to have a $30 plan when I switch phones and cards?

It's not a catastrophe if I'm assigned a new phone number because I use Google Voice.

What do I need to buy? How do I just "roll over" my plan to the new microSIM and phone?

I bought my original SIM card straight from T Mobile in November 2012. Is it possible that it already has perforations for me to cut it down to a microSIM?

Device(s)
    Google Pixel XL, Huawei Pixel 6P, Moto Nexus 6, LG Nexus 5, Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just call T-Mo Prepaid CS and say you want to do a sim swap.

I am not sure if this works for prepaid, but if you have an online account, try this site to do a sim swap:

www.t-mobile.com/sim

Again, the site works for postpaid, not sure about prepaid. Calling Prepaid CS might be your only way.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon (prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    You could try just stopping in at a tmobile store and see if they will change your account over. I would just cut to fit, but if it's just the one time, probably not worth the trouble.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    You just buy a new SIM and then call them to add the SIM to your account. They won't touch your plan or your phone number.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    You just buy a new SIM and then call them to add the SIM to your account. They won't touch your plan or your phone number.
    This. Did the same with same plan from galaxy nexus to nexus 4. The $30./100 min prepaid is for new activations (new sim) not new customers. However, that doesn't matter in your case. If you're not in a hurry, T-Mobile runs deals (free or $.99) periodically on sims; but, things can change.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ (me), Galaxy S9+ (wife), Nexus 7 Tablet
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just trim your full size SIM to MicroSIM size with a scissor http://tinyurl.com/kwnepgw

Feedback Score
    just stop by any small mom&pop cell phone store. most will cut your SIM for you for free.

all these stores have a device that looks like a stapler that perfectly cuts the SIM down to the right size.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    rogers
    Feedback Score
    I took my sim card into a small shop and they cut the card down for $2 and checked to make sure it worked,

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie1491 View Post
    I took my sim card into a small shop and they cut the card down for $2 and checked to make sure it worked,

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You should be able to do a SIM swap yourself on the T-Mobile site, that is what I have done in the past. I haven't always had good luck at T-Mobile stores dealing with SIMs, they always want to charge me for that kind of stuff.

Feedback Score
    Beware that if you are a new customer you must pick the $30 plan as your first and only plan. If you pick anything else the $30 plan goes away forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    And tmobile will charge $10 for a new sim card if you purchase from a retail location. Better off getting it cut at a mom&pop cell phone store. Or buy the cutter on ebay and do it yourself. It's around 2 dollars.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Apple iPhone 5S - Cricket (AT&T)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Tracfone (Verizon)
    Samsung Galaxy Centura - Tracfone (Verizon)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 - Harbor Mobile (T-Mobile)
    LG 440G - Tracfone (AT&T)
    Apple iPad 2 - WiFi only

Device(s)
    iPhone 5 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

$30 prepaid: How to switch my phone but keep my "new customer" $30 plan?

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandUSA View Post
    I use T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan, which is available only to new customers. I use it with my unlocked T-Mobile (T879) Galaxy Note 1, which uses a full-size SIM card.

I want to switch my plan to my new phone, a Sony Z Ultra Google Play Edition (unlocked). The Sony uses a microSIM. I will no longer need cellular access on my Note 1; it will be retired to my car, to serve as a digital dashboard.

I've been on the HowardForums Wiki and I've been on T-Mobile's site, but I'm still confused. If both phones used the same-size SIM, I could just move the SIM, perhaps enter the new IMEI, and be done with it. But I need a microSIM, and I want to make sure that when I activate it, T-Mobile doesn't deny me the $30 plan because I'm not a new customer.

I've been to T-Mobile's SIM site, but I don't see my particular concern addressed: How can I avoid losing the right to have a $30 plan when I switch phones and cards?

It's not a catastrophe if I'm assigned a new phone number because I use Google Voice.

What do I need to buy? How do I just "roll over" my plan to the new microSIM and phone?

I bought my original SIM card straight from T Mobile in November 2012. Is it possible that it already has perforations for me to cut it down to a microSIM?
    Go to a TMO store. A new SIM is $9.99 ,per policy. They'll put it in, change the SIM on your existing account and help you set up your APN and everything if you need. Don't cut your SIM just buy a new one. You can get adapters for $2 on amazon that adapt nano to both Micro and Mini SIMs. Never need to buy one again.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleMac View Post
    Go to a TMO store. A new SIM is $9.99 ,per policy. They'll put it in, change the SIM on your existing account and help you set up your APN and everything if you need. Don't cut your SIM just buy a new one. You can get adapters for $2 on amazon that adapt nano to both Micro and Mini SIMs. Never need to buy one again.

via the HoFo App
    They want $20 for a sim at my TMO corp store, unless I buy $20 worth of accessories.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    They want $20 for a sim at my TMO corp store, unless I buy $20 worth of accessories.
    That's fraud. TMO policy is now $9.99. Asking you to buy accessories is a big problem. You should reach out to TMO corporate and report it.

via the HoFo App

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast