Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Switching from Verizon Seniors plan to Prepaid?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loaloa View Post
    Net 10 offers good prepaid plans that start with $15 and provide 200 minute, with roll over option for the unused minutes, you can check the best prepaid cell phone plans for seniors more details about these plans from Net 10 and other providers like value plus mobile and ultra mobile.
    Value plus mobile is one of the best prepaid plans providers I deal with.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daria_buffy View Post
    Can someone please help advice on what new plans (voice only) and phones we can consider, that are preferably contract free? Doesn't matter if they are pre or post paid. Don't mind a smart phone as long as I'm not required to buy data plan. Would be great if unused minutes carried over.
    Looks like you're getting lots of help. If your parents are using (and, apparently, have been using) Verizon for quite a while -- I would tend to stick with what you know to work. If your parents really only use 200 minutes (each) a month, then I would probably choose either BYO or Selectel. The $10 BYO monthly plan gives you 250 minutes (plus 250 texts and 20 MBs of data, which doesn't have to be used). The only "gotcha" I can see with BYO is that they don't offer Verizon extended voice roaming. This is only important if 1) You live on the edge of Verizon's service where your parents often use roaming, or 2) Your parents travel in the areas (mostly in the West) where Verizon roaming is needed.

The next option I would consider is Selectel. They have free voice roaming. So wherever Verizon currently works, Selectel will work. (This is only important if your parents live on the Verizon "fringe" or travel in areas frequently where Verizon needs roaming.) They have two plans that could work for you -- considering 200 minutes per month criteria. The $15 Plan (which gives you 300 minutes, 300 texts and 15 MBs of data) or the $17 Plan (which was designed for Home Connect but, apparently works on cell phones as well), which gives you 1,000 minutes of talk (no text or data).

You might also choose the Page Plus $12 Plan, which gives you 250 minutes (plus 250 texts and 10 MBs of data). I -- personally -- don't want to deal with Tracfone, but you may not have the same problem with them. The advantage they have over BYO is that they offer voice roaming (at 20 or 29 cents additional a minute).

To see if roaming is an issue for you, here's a link to Selectel's coverage map. It's big enough to show the roaming areas ("extended coverage" using Verizon's term ).

https://www.selectelwireless.com/wp-...d_Coverage.gif

The blue areas are covered for free (no additional cost) with all the above carriers. The gray areas are covered for free by Selectel, costs 20 or 29 cents (never sure which) additional per minute with Page Plus, or are not available at all with BYO. Any of these carriers will allow non prepaid, non 4G Verizon phones on their network. It doesn't matter if they are smartphones or flip phones.

Good luck.

EDIT: Should mention, none of the above plans provide "roll over" minutes.
    Blackberry Q10 on Twigby

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny43 View Post
    Value plus mobile is one of the best prepaid plans providers I deal with.
    Value Plus Mobile's plans are high cost for low value.

If somebody is going to pay Value Plus Mobile $5.99/mo ($71.88/yr) for only 30 min/mo, they might as well pay $6/mo ($72/yr) for a PagePlus $80/yr PIN ($80-10% discount=$72), which provides an average 154min/mo (INCLUDING deducting the $0.50/mo fee from the $80 value) AND if there are funds left at the end of the year, as long as more funds are added before the year is up, the remaining balance ROLLS OVER!!

Carrier(s)
    Twigby
    Feedback Score
    Deleted -- I was using the BYO $5 plan with the $10 allotments in my comparison. So the numbers were not valid.

Feedback Score
    pure talk now offers 80 minute per month for $5 a month, i think it is a good deal.

Feedback Score
    verizon senior plan is not affordable for smart phone users who need data plan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dastin11 View Post
    verizon senior plan is not affordable for smart phone users who need data plan
    for senior smartphone users it is recommended to switch to the latest verizon cell phone plans, they can get unlimited talk and text plus 2 GB for only $45 a month, this is more affordable tha the Verizon senior plan, which offers 200 anytime minutes for $30 a month and you'll pay another $30 to get 2 GB of data per month; as you see $60 for limited talk, no text, and 2 GB of data.

Feedback Score
    for senior smartphone users it is recommended to switch to the latest verizon cell phone plans, they can get unlimited talk and text plus 2 GB for only $45 a month, this is more affordable tha the Verizon senior plan, which offers 200 anytime minutes for $30 a month and you'll pay another $30 to get 2 GB of data per month; as you see $60 for limited talk, no text, and 2 GB of data.
    With Straight Talk for $45 a month you can get unlimited talk unlimited text and 5 GB of LTE data over the verizon's network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jecko View Post
    With Straight Talk for $45 a month you can get unlimited talk unlimited text and 5 GB of LTE data over the verizon's network.
    Yeah, but with Total Wireless, you get the same for $35/mo!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    You are right, most of the senior cell phone plans like the Verizon senior 65 plus plan, are not the best plans for seniors. Many MVNO providers offer better and affordable plans for seniors.

Feedback Score
    You are right, most of the senior cell phone plans like the Verizon senior 65 plus plan, are not the best plans for seniors. Many MVNO providers offer better and affordable plans for seniors.
    I consider the PureTalk senior addVantage plans, which start as litle as $5 per month for 80 anytime minutes are a good choice for a senior citizen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Another thing to consider for seniors or anybody that needs/wants unlimited T&T but uses relatively little cellular data is the TW $25 plan, which is $23.75/mo w/ auto-pay. Then add $10 once for a non-expiring 1GB of data in case they want to send/receive MMS or do a quick web site lookup.

The TW website now clearly states that the $10/1GB of data can be added to their $25/mo plan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2