Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: tethering on New cricket

Feedback Score
    The other new thing was that people who got updates on Cricket branded phones saw some new option to tether in their settings or something. But I haven't seen anything more about that in the past few pages here.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by futurephone View Post
    The other new thing was that people who got updates on Cricket branded phones saw some new option to tether in their settings or something. But I haven't seen anything more about that in the past few pages here.
    yes, there is a tethering option but it is going to be a "pay to tether" kind of thing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    yes, there is a tethering option but it is going to be a "pay to tether" kind of thing.
    Oh, OK. Well, at least they're going to offer it. I can tether with my Nexus 5 and OnePlus One but I have no other devices to tether to right now lol!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glowblue View Post
    The model of buying a fixed amount of data to use works for me, carriers probably bet the average user will only use some smaller allotment of data and leave unused data "on the table". Just like a buffet, restaurants bet the average patron will only eat 1-2 plates. If everyone came in and ate 20 plates, 1 of 2 things would happen: prices would go up or they'd limit the number of plates this eliminating the "all you can eat" advertisement and customers have a choice to find a different buffet (or eat less).

Good discussion!
    Dennis seems to agree with us:
    Ultimately I think switching from traditional "use it or lose it" data buckets to pay per use data like Republic and Project Fi are doing is a good thing. With use it or lose it, light users were subsidizing heavy users, charging based on actual use is fairer.
    http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2015...lans-give.html

Device(s)
    ZTE Source N9511
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Well I just switched from the CDMA service to GSM. Got the Moto E, which on THEIR site lists 1 of the "features" as "Mobile Hotspot". But the phone doesn't show the option. So even if I had to pay extra for it, I wouldn't be able to.

Feedback Score
    I had a verizon iPhone 6+. I had it jail broken when they released the iOS 8 jail break utility. I added the tether me app. I think it was $5. I didn't have the tether option on the verizon plan I had and tethered with them for a couple months and then made the switch to cricket and have been tethering for the past month on cricket just fine. Haven't head anything from either company about it yet.

Feedback Score
    The so-called open access rules state that licensees offering service on C Block of 700 MHz spectrum "shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network."
    700 MHz would be the LTE spectrum.

I cannot believe in 2015 we are still arguing this question of tethering.

Verizon got fined $1.25 million because they tried restricting tethering.

Carriers ARE free to charge for tethering if they so desire but what they cannot do is prevent you from tethering at all.
    So in the absence of any charge for tethering the DEFAULT is that you are allowed to tether no matter what anything in the TOS may say.

And Cricket and/or AT&T is going to find itself in the FCC's crosshairs very quickly if it doesn't stop removing the Android tethering options or preventing third party tethering apps from installing or properly working.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by g-reno View Post
    The so-called open access rules state that licensees offering service on C Block of 700 MHz spectrum "shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network."

Carriers ARE free to charge for tethering if they so desire but what they cannot do is prevent you from tethering at all.
    So in the absence of any charge for tethering the DEFAULT is that you are allowed to tether no matter what anything in the TOS may say.

And Cricket and/or AT&T is going to find itself in the FCC's crosshairs very quickly if it doesn't stop removing the Android tethering options or preventing third party tethering apps from installing or properly working.
    If they just got fined for it they are still doing it at least as of 3 weeks ago. I had my tethering blocked by them until I got my phone jail broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Just a side note so far I've used about 8gb in my month and id say 6gb of it has been from tethering that I use for work. We will see what happens since I would consider that to be fairly heavy tethering use.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    I use mywi since I paid for it but tetherme works great and free if you know where to look

Feedback Score
    Tethering is used by only a very small percentage of users.
    Less than 1 in 200 Android users has ever used tethering.
    And at any one point in time there is probably less than 1 in 10,000 Android users using tethering.
    The carriers have made a mountain out of a mole hill with the tethering issue.
    If they averaged out the cost of tethering over the entire user base it would probably come to about 10 CENTS/mo./user.
    They need to either absorb this small cost or just raise the plan cost by 10 cents and go find other dragons to slay.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    I use mywi since I paid for it but tetherme works great and free if you know where to look
    I use tether me. I paid for it in the Cydia store. It's only $5.

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Another antidote:

Cricket sim cards work fine in tablets, mobile broadband modems, and mobile hotspots. Some are devices 'known' to AT&T, some are unknown. No blocking, upsell portals, or other foolishness. Works fine on voice/data gateways like the Option Globesurfer II or Huawei B890 as well.

If they are making a stink out of this, they haven't lifted a finger to stop it. Data is data on cricket APNs. I think they've come to the conclusion implementing a functional tethering block and incurred additional customer support incurred from blocked users costs more than simply eating the 'loss' whatever that might be... especially considering the data is metered, bought, and paid for in advance.

Furthermore, mobile web browsers and applications are behaving more and more like full fledged computers. It's getting harder to tell the difference between their traffic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    Another antidote:

Cricket sim cards work fine in tablets, mobile broadband modems, and mobile hotspots. Some are devices 'known' to AT&T, some are unknown.
    Having used Cricket sims in various tablets, I agree with your conclusion with regard to tablets. However my experience using it in a mobile hotspot leads me to disagree with regard to those devices. I'd love to hear other's antidotes about this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by g-reno View Post

No Vzw entered into a consent agreement with the FCC for blocking tethering apps which Vzw had not approved from the Google Play store on Vzw phones. Vzw was not fined for restricting tethering, nice piece of misinformation and rewrite of history you're trying to slide by. There is also nothing that forces carriers to allow you to tether, the agreement you reference applies only to Vzw in exchange for their having purchased the license for the C block 700 Mhz spectrum. So Cricket is most definitely free to restrict tethering on its devices, just as Sprint blocks tethering and T-Mobile limited the amount a subscriber could tether.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast