Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is your vote for the best VOIP phone service and why? Must include reliable 911

Feedback Score

What is your vote for the best VOIP phone service and why? Must include reliable 911

Out of all the VOIP phone services out there... what would be your vote for the best and most reliable INCLUDING RELIABLE 911 SERVICE.. and why?

Preferrably under $25 per month all taxes and fees included.

Feedback Score
    Are you familiar with the technology such as how to configure an ATA? If so, Anveo is an extremely affordable service provider and has automatic geographic redundancy. This means that if any of their equipment should go down or become unavailable, backup equipment in another city will automatically take over within one minute. The caveat is that because their prices are so low, they charge for support - so they're best if you already know what you're doing.

Would you prefer that the service provider send your equipment to you pre-configured so that you can simply plug it in, and include technical support at no extra charge? AcroVoice is an excellent service provider which also has geographic redundancy, and they have two plans within your budget. Since you mentioned 911, their commercial division actually sells VoIP 911 service to other VoIP providers.

Would you like to pay a high upfront cost and a lower monthly cost? Consider Ooma.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I recently switched from Verizon Home Phone Connect to Straight Talk. So far the quality has been excellent, I also have 50 mbps internet plan so that may help. I decided on Straight Talk because the initial price and the fact that it is basically Vonage. Ooma is a great, but I payed 9.99 for the device and only 10 bucks a month and can leave anytime.

Device(s)
    Too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by landscapeman View Post
    I recently switched from Verizon Home Phone Connect to Straight Talk. So far the quality has been excellent, I also have 50 mbps internet plan so that may help. I decided on Straight Talk because the initial price and the fact that it is basically Vonage. Ooma is a great, but I payed 9.99 for the device and only 10 bucks a month and can leave anytime.
    Straight Talk is not Vonage or anything like it. Neither Verizon Home Phone Connect or Straight Talk are VoIP. They are both cell services. Your internet speed has nothing whatsoever to do with the service on these plans. You could disconnect your internet with no consequences to these services.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ617 View Post
    Straight Talk is not Vonage or anything like it. Neither Verizon Home Phone Connect or Straight Talk are VoIP. They are both cell services. Your internet speed has nothing whatsoever to do with the service on these plans. You could disconnect your internet with no consequences to these services.
    You are absolutely correct. By the way, Straight Talk Home Phone uses Verizon towers.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I am using Basic Talk not Straight Talk, Thats my mistake.

Feedback Score
    I've tried just about all the "low cost" choices and almost all of them have a glitch or catch. The only options that seem to actually work well are those that are just as costly as the options people are trying to get away from because of their cost. MagicJack has catches now even charging extra for 911 service... some of their competitors don't even work or work poorly. Tried Basic Talk mentioned above for four months and went back and forth with their tech people on the constant clicking in the line which they offered several "solutions" for but none worked so gave that up too. We are now cell only and will remain that way. None of these voip options are worth it... either don't work well or at all or cost is a factor either for service or equipment and then you end up having to have two or three "services" to make everything work. If people want to go through all of that... fine but not me. Cell only if enough for us these days and when we are old we'll add a medical alert system to cover emergencies. Keep it simple. That's my two cents anyway and what it will be for us.

Feedback Score
    My $0.02 on the reasons I use VoIP:

1) Audio quality. I recently called a friend with a cell phone and found it extremely difficult to hear her, until she walked to the other side of her house which has better cell service. My VoIP phone sounds just as good as a landline - no one can tell I'm not using a "normal phone".

2) Cell airtime cost.

3) Features. My local landline provider offers voicemail for $5/month, but with VoIP it's free. They offer a telemarketer blocking feature, but it can only block a maximum of 12 numbers. I have nearly 75 telemarketers in my VoIP block list. I also still own all my phone numbers for all the cities we've lived in over the past few years.

4) Convenience. Since I pay per minute, there is no concept of phone lines. This means I can be on a call in my office while my wife is on a call in her office.

Feedback Score
    Whats the cheapest voip service? Im looking into doing voip.

Feedback Score
    Fongo or free phone line or vbuzzer

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Simply Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adorkably View Post
    Localphone charges one half of a cent per minute for calls to the US.

Feedback Score
    Same dialnow, and for landline to USA free

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adorkably View Post
    That's a broad question, it depends on your needs. UppTalk is free for US calls. But I wouldn't use them for anything more than casual use.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I have been a PhonePower customer for almost 4 years. The same service is also sold under the "Broadvoice" name. Overall, I have been happy with them, although they were having some widespread service problems earlier this summer that had me considering leaving. They seem to have gotten the problem sorted out since then. I pay less than $20/mo including taxes. That is about half of what my cable provider charged with their "bundles" phone service. New customers can get it for less if you are willing to pay up front for a year. Overall call quality is usually good. Includes e911 service. I can't say how reliable e911 is because I have never had to use it. Your e911 location is based on the address you provide to Phonepower. If you move or take your adapter somewhere else, you should remember to update that info in your online account management.

Another provider I have heard good things about but have not tried is Voipo. Their features seem on par with Phonepower's.

The one thing you have to remember with any VoIP service is, if your Internet connection is out, so is your phone. You probably want to put your cable/dsl modem, router and the phone adapter on a UPS so that you can potentially maintain service during short power outages (assuming your internet provider doesn't go down too).

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gweeper View Post
    I have been a PhonePower customer for almost 4 years. The same service is also sold under the "Broadvoice" name. Overall, I have been happy with them, although they were having some widespread service problems earlier this summer that had me considering leaving. They seem to have gotten the problem sorted out since then. I pay less than $20/mo including taxes. That is about half of what my cable provider charged with their "bundles" phone service. New customers can get it for less if you are willing to pay up front for a year. Overall call quality is usually good. Includes e911 service. I can't say how reliable e911 is because I have never had to use it. Your e911 location is based on the address you provide to Phonepower. If you move or take your adapter somewhere else, you should remember to update that info in your online account management.
    If you have an Obihai ATA you can get PhonePower for a lot cheaper if you're willing to pay for a year at a time. This is on the Aquarius network.
    For 1 year unlimited it's $60. (Includes E911 and 60 minutes international calling per month)
    For 1 year unlimited incoming and 300/monthly outgoing it's $35. (Includes E911)

It would actually be cheaper for you to buy an Obihai ATA off Amazon and switch to a PhonePower "Obi" plan available on Obihai's website (must have a free account to view). The only potential "gotcha" is porting your existing number. Not sure if PP would allow you port directly over to the cheaper "Obi" plan. You might have to port to something like a Trac phone and then port your number back into your new "Obi" plan.

Not counting any potential porting fees, you could pay for you Obihai ATA in less than 4 months. And the Obihai ATA would give you a whole lot more features and capabilities than that locked down Grandstream ATA you're using now. Food for thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast