Thread: Just got hired as a phone repair tech

Feedback Score

Just got hired as a phone repair tech

I got hired by an authorized retailer to be a phone repair technician. I'm kind of excited. This is just the job I've been looking for. I have experience doing some light flashing, rooting, and some minor refurbishing (taking broken phone boards and swapping them out for the good parts of blacklisted phones and then reselling them). Anyone have any words of wisdom for me? I start on Monday.

Feedback Score
    interesting. i have never heard of any major carriers doing in store repairs.

i am curious, will your repair void warranties or is there an agreement with the manufactures in which the repairs are 'authorized'

i known that bringing a phone or computer to 99%+ of the mom/pop repair shops voids any warranties. i would be very surprised if sprint would be okay with that.

Feedback Score
    on the words of wisdom, i would be very cautious about flashing, rooting, ROMs, etc. in a commercial environment. if anything is broken(or perceived to be or the customer is just unhappy, you will be held responsible.

i am a huge fan of unlocking, rooting, custom ROMs, etc. as long as it is kept on a casual geek/techie to geek/techie basis. i do not see it having much validity in a commercial retail environment. business that flash phone to cricket, pageplus, etc. do have a lot of happy customers. most if not all also have some pretty pissed off ones. mostly because they did not quite understand what they were getting, and its not always easy to explain the details or the risk that an update may irreversibly break MMS on a flash, etc.

strictly hardware repair such as cracked screens on the other hand is a pretty good business with mostly happy results. just please if you will be voiding warranties make sure the customer is well aware before hand. most places do not explain this and i think that's pretty messed up. a big sign behind the counter stating 'we void warranties' would be good. the people on the forums know what does and does not void a warranty the average public has no idea, many assume if they go into a public facing business is all authorized by the manufactures.

Feedback Score
    I mean I'll be a tech for an authorized retailer. We have the sprint branding and everything. This is only legit repairs covered under TEP
    Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    I mean I'll be a tech for an authorized retailer. We have the sprint branding and everything. This is only legit repairs covered under TEP
    Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 via the HowardForums WP7 App
    so will you actually repair stuff? or will you take a look and see if its covered and than replace it?

personally i would not consider a person issuing a replacement a tech but maybe sprint does.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    so will you actually repair stuff? or will you take a look and see if its covered and than replace it?

personally i would not consider a person issuing a replacement a tech but maybe sprint does.
    I haven't started the job yet, but from what I know is that we'll do in-store repairs if we have the parts necessary and the issue is fixable as such. We order a replacement if the phone isn't fixable in-store and the phone is covered under warranty or TEP.