Thread: it's 2014, and there's new firmware for the N97!

Device(s)
    LG G6, Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, Samsung Galaxy S3, S2 (BRICKED), HTC Desire
    Carrier(s)
    10GB Unlimited
    Feedback Score

it's 2014, and there's new firmware for the N97!

man, haven't posted in this forum in ages! anyone still here?

always had a soft spot for this phone. loved the keyboard! but the crappy innards and terrible screen, scratchy camera and slow-*** inconsistent UI, etc. ... oh memories!

anyhow, maybe it's time to dig your N97 out from the bottom of your "dead electronics to be recycled" box and fire up this new firmware. it might never be your daily driver again, but one more time for memory's sake?

from the cybercom site, this looks promising:

"Even if you find a bug free CFW working on 100% (there are only few in the Internet) they are so badly wasted with stupid splash screens, startup pictures, shutdown greetings, branded menus, stuffed with apps, nasty icons, unwanted keyboards that cause you facepalm. And almost all of them are not based on the latest software version for nokia C6-00 firmware v42.0.004 of C6-00, hence you get older browser, music player etc. Thereby this nokia N97 custom firmware is unique of its kind, based on last firmware v42.0.004 with all bug fixes, full and mini qwerty virtual keyboard, but no pollution with fluffy things and stuffing inside, clear and good to go. Original style without built in stupid splash screens, startup pictures, shutdown greetings, branded menus, unwanted apps, nasty icons, unwanted keyboards etc. After flashing you are free to install anytime your themes with icons, apps, patches, settings you like and configure is up to you. No need to bear someone else bad taste design just because is hardcoded inside! Clear nokia C6-00 custom firmware with all necessary bugfixes but no pollution inside."

http://www.cybercom.com.au/Nokia-N97...atest-firmware

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AM Radio View Post
    man, haven't posted in this forum in ages! anyone still here?

always had a soft spot for this phone. loved the keyboard! but the crappy innards and terrible screen, scratchy camera and slow-*** inconsistent UI, etc. ... oh memories!

anyhow, maybe it's time to dig your N97 out from the bottom of your "dead electronics to be recycled" box and fire up this new firmware. it might never be your daily driver again, but one more time for memory's sake?

http://www.cybercom.com.au/Nokia-N97...atest-firmware
    I actually just picked up a New old stock N97. I can confirm this patch works great. I updated the firmware with the one you mentioned and I applied a few patches. Phone works great and does everything I want it to do.

Pros:
    -bluetooth to my car
    -nice keyboard
    -touch screen
    -has gps
    -has offline maps (I love this)
    -customizable, can set my apps and links how I want

Cons:
    -a bit unresponsive until patches are made
    -have to personalize quite a few things on it to get it right. But then, I did the same thing on my Android so maybe this isn't really a con.

Overall I like the phone a lot. My only real gripe is that I wish the screen was bigger.

Right now I'm looking for a better app or widget or something that can give me better control over WiFi