Thread: How long will koodo sim card last?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

How long will koodo sim card last?

I drive up to Canada (Quebec) 1- 2 times per year for 3 - 6 days. I'd like to buy Koodo's 20$ prepaid sim

Would i be able to use the same card on subsequent trips, and just refill, or does the card expire somehow? if not would that require a new activation each time?

The reason i wouldn't buy a new one each time is because I want to be able to just pop it in my phone as soon as i cross the border. Also, would that require a new activation each time?

is there a better option?
    I'm just looking to stay connected, emails a and a few calls and texts. I figure that the $20 prepaid sim would be enough.

Thanks
    Jake

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I didn't know, so I "Bing"ed it, and I found this page: http://help.koodomobile.com/prepaid/...top-ups-expire

"Do keep in mind though that if you’ve are without a base plan for 90 days, your account will be deactivated and you’ll lose your phone number and any funds remaining on your account balance, including your boosters."

The least expensive base plan is $15 (which offers unlimited SMS). So you'd need to activate one of those before 120 days since your last activation (30 day base plan, plus 90 days without) was up, whether you have a trip planned or not. On the other hand, that works out to only about $4/month which is pretty reasonable, but you'd need to make sure you did it by the magic date each time. Not sure how much leeway, if any, Koodo offers. If it's an automated process, there may be no leeway at all. They may or may not text you, you may or may not get this if you're in the U.S., and there may or may not be a charge for receiving SMSs outside of Canada (there certainly is for sending).

You may be able to get a longer expiry period with some of the MVNOs if you hunt around, if it doesn't have to be Koodo. Here's a list of current (as of April 2014) Canadian MVNOs if you feel like really digging into this: http://www.mvnodynamics.com/mvno-com...vno-companies/

I hope that helps.

Device(s)
    Lots
    Carrier(s)
    PM, Wind, Koodo, Koodo, Bell
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    You may be able to get a longer expiry period with some of the MVNOs if you hunt around, if it doesn't have to be Koodo. Here's a list of current (as of April 2014) Canadian MVNOs if you feel like really digging into this: http://www.mvnodynamics.com/mvno-com...vno-companies/

I hope that helps.
    This list needs to be revised; Wind, MTS and SaskTel are not owned by Rogers, and Videotron now has their own network. Eastlink has agreements with Rogers and Bell, Wind with Rogers and Telus. PC Mobile uses Bell or Telus depending if the account is prepaid or postpaid (monthly).

There is also this list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...hone_companies

but you may have to look up each MNVO independently.
    Last edited by gmd; 01-05-2015 at 09:03 AM. Reason: added link to wikipedia