Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why are you still using Virgin Mobile?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon/AT&T
    Feedback Score

Why are you still using Virgin Mobile?

The prepaid arena has changed significantly since the days of VM's $25 BT plan. Nowadays there are so many better options- better phones, better coverage, a functional customer service department, etc. What's your reasons for sticking around?

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I'm not seeing more than 2.5 GB of data for $35 and $30 a month anywhere else. I've seen much less data for less. But I don't want less data.

Also, the last time I used T-Mobile, it didn't provide coverage inside my house. Kind of a deal-breaker to not have coverage in the place I spend at least 12 of every 24 hours.

Feedback Score
    I greee with Churner. Nobody I know can offer a stable service for the same price.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Then again some of us have moved away from vm cause it is not stable. 2.5Gb data is pointless if it is impossible to spend 2.5gb because of slow network speeds.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone: Samsung Orbit J3, Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra, Moto e4, Padfone X, LG Rebel 3. Tello: ZTE Max XL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hirojoe View Post
    What's your reasons for sticking around?
    Virgin Mobile has improved (albeit slowly) over the past few years. That is the main reason I'm still using their services. I also think their selection of devices covers the spectrum quite nicely despite not having a BYOD program. With the S5 now available on VM, you can still have the "latest and greatest" without being locked into some oppressive contract.

While VM is far from perfect, it is certainly worth the $35 I pay every month. Until contract carriers price their services more economically, I'll continue to be a huge advocate for using prepaid wireless.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
    Virgin Mobile has improved (albeit slowly) over the past few years. That is the main reason I'm still using their services. I also think their selection of devices covers the spectrum quite nicely despite not having a BYOD program. With the S5 now available on VM, you can still have the "latest and greatest" without being locked into some oppressive contract.

While VM is far from perfect, it is certainly worth the $35 I pay every month. Until contract carriers price their services more economically, I'll continue to be a huge advocate for using prepaid wireless.
    Do they eventually unlock their phones? Sorry for the off topic!

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by futurephone View Post
    Do they eventually unlock their phones? Sorry for the off topic!
    No, Virgin Mobile does not unlock phones.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomMobile
    Feedback Score
    got excellent plan with
    virginmobile

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Samsung Charge
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've recently come to VM from Verizon. I was paying Verizon over $100 a month for an old phone with an unlimited data plan grandfathered in but I rarely use data- it was always just the backup in case home internet went down.

I couldn't afford to throw away $100 for something I almost never use. Virgin has a decent signal in my house so I came here- I have already saved enough money to pay for a Verizon MIFI I can activate on a pre-paid plan should home internet ever go down due to a storm or something like that. In the mean time any money saved is money in the bank.

I don't care about newest phones- I was on a Samsung Charge on Verzion for 4 years, the S3 even two generations behind the latest was still a giant upgrade for me.

Device(s)
    LG G6, Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon), Red Pocket (ATT)
    Feedback Score
    I have one VM phone left because it works for my daughter. She bought her iphone 4s in 11/13 and plans to use it until it doesn't work. The 300 minutes are a good amount for her and, with a credit card on the account, it is $30/month. I ported my other line to T-Mobile because that plan works well for my son (he rarely talks on the phone) and we'd gotten a free, unlocked gsm phone. He'd been on the $25 plan and it didn't make sense to pay $35/month just to get a better phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    Ah the old "I've got no contract, but my $500+ phone is locked to my carrier" line.

Feedback Score
    The only carrier which comes close to VM $35 plan is t-mobile for $30 (for those who don't talk much). All of the other plans I've seen are at least ($40-50). I was thinking of switching to t-mobile, but in my area Sprint has a tad better coverage than t-mobile.

Device(s)
    iPhone8, Galaxy_S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, Total_Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (NO Contract !!!: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.5.35199/35.2883; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Quote Originally Posted by ttuvm
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    Ah the old "I've got no contract, but my $500+ phone is locked to my carrier" line.
    Well that applies to gsm phones, since you are locked to their network, limited to 2G service outside most cities (many times within a majority of major cities too), within some carriers like T-Mobile you often have limited service as well, and you can not use those gsm phones (which tend to cost more per device than cdma versions: iPhone 5S 64GB {gsm}$750+ vs {VM}$525 ) on Sprint, Verizon or any of their mvno's. With demand at an all time high for preowned VM devices, the question is why anyone would opt to miss out on such an obvious bargain.
    PREPAID means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

Virgin Mobile: $50 / $10 | Total Wireless: $25

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ttuvm View Post
    Guess I am missing something. Why should I care if a phone is locked or not. I am using my phone on VM. What are the perks in having an unlocked phone? I certainly dont see any other carriers out there that can compare to VM plans so I will continue to use VM. I get good signal everywhere I need to use my phone. I can listen to slacker/milk radio without any loss of signal to my daily 85 mile commute to and from work. My thoughts are if I was to change carriers I would want to get a new phone anyway. Currently I have a Samsung galaxy S3 and it does a fine job for now.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Let me ask a question back at those who left, do you get the SAME service for the same $ with your new plan/provider? Chances are , some left because they need more minutes and/or more data and/or more reliable service.

I stayed, simply, because VM still offers the best value that meet my usage.

I keep hearing about other options, how about SHOW me one that has the same pricing and similar service. I need 300 minutes and 2.5 GB is just about right for me. Please find me a comparable plan. As for the phone, locked or unlocked to a service is not a big issue. First off, I got my S3 at a discount. From a quick glimpse, goredpocket.com has a comparable plan (same price, same service), yet they don't have a discounted S3. Also, if I have to get a new phone, I know I can ebay off VM S3. I've ebayed off my old Optimus V and HTC Evo V 4G. Yes, it is a bit hassle. To me, this locked/unlocked hasn't been a big issue. Perhaps, it's because every time I had to switch a provider, I always had to get a new phone anyway.

For me , in NYC, VM is great. Their data still suck compare to others. Though it meets my needs. I don't stare at my phone, text, or "socializing" on the net all day long. Data is only needed for checking traffic, transportation schedule, some music streaming service, email.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast