Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Why are you still using Virgin Mobile?

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    rock, sooo.. why not just get a sd card for it?

Device(s)
    Galsxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I'd actually like to switch, and have been researching it, but it is a hard point to make. I want to stay on prepaid. I want to get a phablet and VM does not offer anything bigger than the 5S. 3G speeds are fine with me. I rarely call anyone, used 3 minutes last month for example. It is a matter of coverage in my area, and in areas where I travel. Sprint does have coverage in both, although poor, but Tmobile has nothing so that is out. Verison and AT&T might be OK. So VM is hard to beat. I've been researching ordering a Galaxy Note 3 unlocked GSM phone, but it is expensive and hard to figure out which model to get for a person like me that is not fully up on the latest phones and what carrier has what bands. I'd like to get on Straight Talk, or Cricket, or some other AT&T NVMO. I may end up buying a cheap phone and trying those services out in my area. So in short, I mostly have not switched because I can't figure out how to do it heh.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brachiopoid View Post
    I'd actually like to switch, and have been researching it, but it is a hard point to make. I want to stay on prepaid. I want to get a phablet and VM does not offer anything bigger than the 5S. 3G speeds are fine with me. I rarely call anyone, used 3 minutes last month for example. It is a matter of coverage in my area, and in areas where I travel. Sprint does have coverage in both, although poor, but Tmobile has nothing so that is out. Verison and AT&T might be OK. So VM is hard to beat. I've been researching ordering a Galaxy Note 3 unlocked GSM phone, but it is expensive and hard to figure out which model to get for a person like me that is not fully up on the latest phones and what carrier has what bands. I'd like to get on Straight Talk, or Cricket, or some other AT&T NVMO. I may end up buying a cheap phone and trying those services out in my area. So in short, I mostly have not switched because I can't figure out how to do it heh.
    I would have recommended the Sony Z Ultra from the Google Play store, which is huge (6.4" 1080p screen) and decently priced at $449. Unfortunately, they are out of stock and I'm not sure they will get more in.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone: Samsung Orbit J3, Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra, Moto e4, Padfone X, LG Rebel 3. Tello: ZTE Max XL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brachiopoid View Post
    I'd actually like to switch, and have been researching it, but it is a hard point to make. I want to stay on prepaid. I want to get a phablet and VM does not offer anything bigger than the 5S.
    As a former Note 2 owner who now has the S5 on Virgin Mobile, I can say 5.1" of screen is definitely phablet-esque. I loved the Note 2, but I can't say I'm missing the extra 0.4" of screen or the stylus.

Device(s)
    Nokia TA-1045 6.1 AndroidOne | Google Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid | Verizon PrePay
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPR3K View Post
    I fear change!!!

Actually, tell me more about what the other prepaid options are...

I see T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T all have them, but I don't know how well they work.

Sent from my Android device using HowardForums. Glad to be contract-free since 2010...
    Glad to be off contract since 2010...

Device Reverse Chronology: HTC "10" (VZW) | Samsung G920VZKAVZW Galaxy S6 | Motorola XT1060 MOTO X DE | Samsung N920T Galaxy Note5 | Microsoft RM-1073 Lumia 640 LTE | LG E960 Nexus4 | HTC ADR6300 Incredible | Nokia Asha 303 | Palm Pixi Plus | Motorola W233 Renew | Motorola VU204 | LG VS740 Ally | Motorola V325xi | LG VX8560 Chocolate3 | Motorola V265 | LG VX5400 | Nokia 6015i | Samsung VGA1000

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flphoneguy View Post
    I am one of those dinosaurs that still has the VM $25 a month 300 minute plan with an LG Optimus V. Over the years the phone service has been great, the internet experience not so good. I think I read somewhere that older phones like mine are not able to use the newest Sprint towers and bandwidth so that may be why my phone sometimes feels like websites load slower than an old 56 kbs modem!

Having said that, I suppose the main reason I never switched from VM is because paying $25 a month when everyone else I know is paying $50, $60 and $70 just made me feel too good.

But lately I decided I'd like to get better mobile web service so I've been considering my options, such as a Moto G with Republic Wireless and even a contract phone with AT&T. I saw a blue HTC One (M7) at Best Buy and fell in love... it was just $1 with a 2 year $60 a month plan. The total cost of ownership would be about $300 more than a new pre-paid smartphone and plan. Not too bad when you consider what you get.

Assuming I don't do an impulse buy for that blue HTC One, I am probably going to stick with VM but will upgrade my phone (to an LG Volt) and service plan ($45 unlimited text/data and 1200 minutes talk).

Why stay with VM? The main reason that is grabbing my attention is the new Sprint Spark service. I happen to be in an area where it is available and the specs say it might offer up to 60mps download speeds! There are some YouTube videos that show this. Not even AT&T or Verizon can match that... only T-Mobile comes close. And there are only a few Spark ready phones available right now with the Volt being the only pre-paid one (I think), so that narrows my choices to VM and Boost.

So mainly because of Spark, the features of the Volt (love the IR remote and FM radio!) and ease of switching plans and number, I am very likely to remain with VM for the next year or two.

My next VM payment is at the beginning of July so I have a week to decide.
    I would suggest that you try a VM Awe on your $25 plan. The data will probably be about the same, but the processor is faster which should allow the phone to use that data a bit better. The screen is a lot more usable too (4").

I imagine that there are more than a few apps which can't even be installed on your phone since it's Android 2.2.

Republic Wireless will give you essentially the same service since it is a sprint MVNO, though your calls will use voip when connected to wifi.

I got a Volt since VM was essentially giving it away last week. It's nice but I wouldn't give up my $25 plan for it. The IR blaster app only has about 8 manufacturers in its list (my largest TV wasn't in it). I didn't know it had a FM radio...thanks for the tip.

Device(s)
    Galsxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
    As a former Note 2 owner who now has the S5 on Virgin Mobile, I can say 5.1" of screen is definitely phablet-esque. I loved the Note 2, but I can't say I'm missing the extra 0.4" of screen or the stylus.
    Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion. The S5 is on my short list, and if anyone actually carried it around here I probably would have broken down and gotten one. I just have a problem buying a phone for $600 that will never be unlocked; of course it is CDMA anyway, so there aren't as many third party choices. I've been pretty happy with my VM service, and it happens to cover the areas that I travel, so I'll probably go that route. I'll look into the Z ultra too.

Device(s)
    iPhone8, Galaxy_S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, Total_Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (NO Contract !!!: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.5.35613/35.3088; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Quote Originally Posted by hirojoe
    The prepaid arena has changed significantly since the days of VM's $25 BT plan. Nowadays there are so many better options- better phones, better coverage, a functional customer service department, etc. What's your reasons for sticking around?
    PREPAID means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

Virgin Mobile: $50 / $10 | Total Wireless: $25

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I've read most of the thread but I'm sorry if I've missed this...

...but when did Target sneak this in: $35 for 300 min + 3GB before throttle + UnTx on TMo

Paying with a target card and using the $25 bonus every six months brings the price closer to $31.

Nice alternative if you are in a decent TMo coverage area and don't need LTE.

Feedback Score
    I heard on 07/17/14 Verizon prepaid will offer 4G LTE. If that happen I will have to consider switching to them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4