Thread: There's a Primus sub-forum, but not a Cityfone sub-forum?! That makes no sense.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

There's a Primus sub-forum, but not a Cityfone sub-forum?! That makes no sense.

I find it odd that there's a Primus MVNO sub-forum, but not one for Cityfone. Because, all Primus is doing is acting as an agent for Cityfone. That's why they have the same plans (right down to double the minutes/SMS/data on 2 year contracts), the same phones, and even use some of the same art assets. There are a bunch of other companies reselling Cityfone, too, like Sears Connect. I counted about half a dozen the last time I looked.

Cityfone is one of Canada's oldest MVNOs, if not the oldest. They were reselling Microcell's network back in the day (man, that takes me back). Interestingly, I see that they're now reselling Wireless Home Phone too (at the same base price as Rogers, $30 reg., $20 for Cityfone customers).

I have a friend who's been with them for 14 years, so they're hardly fly by night. They're older than HoFo. I don't get why they don't get any love here, when a sub-seller of Cityfone does.

Carrier(s)
    Chat-r; PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Interesting, I remember cityfone, but don't know they are still around.

via the HoFo App
    No longer on a leash by Fido

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
    Interesting, I remember cityfone, but don't know they are still around.

via the HoFo App
    I found an up-to-date (as of April 2014) site on MVNOs: http://www.mvnodynamics.com/mvno-com...vno-companies/

It asserts that Cityfone was acquired by Rogers somewhere along the line. Sure enough, they're technically a fourth brand (after Rogers, Fido, and ChatR). But they're owned by a different division of Rogers, it seems. It looks like Rogers uses them as a team to offer a build-your-own-MVNO kit, essentially. Sears Connect, Primus, Simply Connect, BMO Talk & Earn, and RBC Talk & Save all have the same plans, same/similar art assets, handsets, etc., as Cityfone. And, surprisingly, Cityfone's plans aren't bad if you only need talk&text, or if you can content yourself with 1GB of data (and willing to sign a 2 year contract).

I was about to hit send, when I found a Globe & Mail article on Rogers buying Cityfone: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle4258900/ Looks like it happened circa 2011 (12 years after Cityfone started in 1999!)