Thread: "Phone Box" Rogers MVNO... wow!

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

"Phone Box" Rogers MVNO... wow!

"Phone Box" is a Rogers-affiliated MVNO that offers both monthly plans (on 3 month contracts?) and weekly plans: https://gophonebox.com/Plans/#short-term-plans They're focused on students and other visitors, but they do also sell service to Canadian residents.

They have plans by the week starting at $12.50, and could be good for someone who was visiting Canada for a short period of time. However...

...this is the only MVNO in Canada that offers monthly options with all sorts of data. Most of the MVNOs max out at 500MB. Cityfone (and its resellers like Primus) max out at 1GB, and you have to sign a 2 year contract to get that. But Phone Box offers you 1GB, 2GB, and 6GB. And the plans w/data seem better than the big 3: https://gophonebox.com/Plans/#long-term-plans

$49 for unlimited voice, unlimited SMS, and 1GB
    $59 for unlimited voice, unlimited SMS, and 2GB
    $79 for unlimited voice, unlimited SMS, and 6GB

And that includes voicemail, call display, and call forwarding too. The $79 plan offers virtually everything my $91 plan (which is a retention plan, plus grandfathered data option, plus value pack) has. The only thing I can see that I'd be losing here is probably Premium Voice-to-Text, and possibly Name Display (though possibly not on that latter point, it's not clear).

"Phone Box" is phone rental, and BYOD, only. I'm good with that, I already buy my handsets outright. They only list three cities that they focus on (Vancouver, Calgary, and Toronto) so I'm not sure if they offer service elsewhere on Rogers' network.

Anyone have any experience about them? They sound awesome. I have relatives coming up in late July, but not to those three cities, so I intend to investigate whether they can sell service elsewhere.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    A bit more info. PhoneBox does sell phones, both outright and subsidised. They say that their plans start at 3 month contracts, so not sure if they even have a month-to-month option. Odd given they have a by-the-week option.

It also says that they require a security deposit. Not sure how much that is, or if it applies only to getting a phone on contract or also applies to BYOD. Looking forward to hopefully finding out tomorrow. They do support porting in, so maybe even if they can't offer you a local phone number in a given area, they may be able to port you in from another provider in that area.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Spoke to someone at PhoneBox yesterday. They do sell service all across Rogers' network (and offer local phone numbers all around). They only require security deposits when there isn't a valid credit card on account and credit, etc. Same as everyone else, in other words.

I was also told that they had a $66/6GB/unlimited calling/unlimited SMS plan (usually $75). Pretty kick ***. No other MVNO offers anything close (other MVNOs seem to max out at 1GB).

Feedback Score
    I'm in Vancouver at the moment, so I can share my experience with then.

I actually had to do a double take at first since Canadian mobile phone prices are usually very high, but these guys are the real deal. They use Rogers for their contract and Telus for their prepaid. I got the $17.50/week plan and along with $10 for the SIM card, I paid about $30 total. It came with 700 MB of data with 25 cents/MB if you go over.

Interestingly enough, the clerk asked how I heard about them and ai mentioned this particular topic and even showed it her. I'm glad I saw this right before I left for Vancouver since I was dreading paying the higher priced prepaid plans from the big 3 or their subsidies.

For short term visitors, this is currently the best prepaid plan in Canada that uses one of the big 3 's network. Hopefully these guys will stick around.
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 07-09-2014 at 08:46 AM. Reason: User request: correct typo

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    Do they offer LTE Data?
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've been corresponding with them since I'll be in CA for about 10 days this summer. We won't enter or exit via one of their cities, but they've been instructing me via email how I can use their service. Seems I get the SIM card from either Rogers or Telus (not sure if it matters?) and then contact them for all the details of how to proceed. The most problematic thing is that they need a copy of my travel documents (passport, etc) and credit card -- not sure how I'll get that to them securely...

I'm eager to hear any other reports from anyone actually using their service!

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, my iPhone wasn't compatible with Canada's LTE bands, so I don't know if they do or not.

One other thing I should mention is that both iMessage and Facetime work with them as

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fruvous View Post
    Do they offer LTE Data?
    I called today, and the CSR I talked with confirmed that they have LTE data.
    As for networks, they work with both Rogers and Telus, although it sounds like if you BYOD, it will be on Telus and contracts are through Rogers, but I could be mistaken. In any case, the CSR said Telus was their main partner and that's who most of their customers were on.

I do find it interesting that they have rental phones, some of which are free and that they also offer plans to US customers.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by momefarley View Post
    I've been corresponding with them since I'll be in CA for about 10 days this summer. We won't enter or exit via one of their cities, but they've been instructing me via email how I can use their service. Seems I get the SIM card from either Rogers or Telus (not sure if it matters?) and then contact them for all the details of how to proceed. The most problematic thing is that they need a copy of my travel documents (passport, etc) and credit card -- not sure how I'll get that to them securely...

I'm eager to hear any other reports from anyone actually using their service!
    The idea that you actually get the *SIM* from Rogers or Telus is... how do I say... freakin' weird to me. I thought MVNOs always had to have their own SIMs. Very strange.

I'm eager to hear about your experience as it develops.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    8com uses the same model. Maybe Howard should check them out

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Who owns this company? And when did it start offering service?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I recently send them an inquiry about using their service for an upcoming business trip to Vancouver, I already own an unused Rogers Sim card that I purchased on Ebay. This is the email reply I received:

Dear, cutomer
    thank you for interesting in our service
    we have a weekly data plan $ 27+$ 10 (sim card) + tax
    It is only way to come our office to make a activation (bring your ID and credit card. )
    At that time , when you purchased the sim card please check the sim card is empty or not. if it is empty you have to paid only $ 27+tax .

$ 27 calling only include Local airtime (in vancouver) if you call the out of vancouver you have to paid over service fee $ 0.40 per 1 min.
    Also, data is 700 MB if client used more date $0.25 per 1 MB.

please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected] or call us at 1-855-886-0505.

I am shocked at the cost of wireless plans in Canada, as far as I understand, the $27/week only includes local calls in the
    Vancouver area, making calls outside of this area still costs $0.40 and I am not sure if incoming calls are free or not. Monthly prepaid plans
    with unlimited minutes and texts and 500MB of data can be had for $30 or less in the US, and I have been to many countries in Europe where you can buy a SIM card at the local grocery store that comes with a month of service and a decent amount of minutes and data for under 15 Euros. And you still have to go to their retail location in Vancouver with an ID and credit card to purchase the service, which is a major inconvenience. I might just have to do without cell service while attending this conference, hope there is good wifi at the hotel.