Thread: using a straight talk phone without service

Feedback Score

using a straight talk phone without service

I have my old samsung T528G lying around, after switching to using an iphone with my straight talk plan.
    was wondering if I could still use it via wifi without straight talk cellular service.
    it currently says activation required when i try to start the browser, but it does it me setup the wifi to my router.

any ideas if i can use it without cellular service?

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    If it's an android, you should be able to use it via wifi without a problem.
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by talktomepls View Post
    I have my old samsung T528G lying around, after switching to using an iphone with my straight talk plan.
    was wondering if I could still use it via wifi without straight talk cellular service.
    it currently says activation required when i try to start the browser, but it does it me setup the wifi to my router.

any ideas if i can use it without cellular service?
    The telephone has a proprietary operating system. The telephone might require a SIM card to get past the start screen. The SIM card does not have to be active but it has to be the one which came with the telephone. It is unclear whether you are able to set up your Wi-Fi connection.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Hi
    Thanks for the response. It does have the Sim card, and I do get past the start screen. I can then configure the wifi settings, and it shows the icon at the top, but when i click the internet browser it says I need to activate.

Any ideas?

Feedback Score
    remove the sim card and see if you can do a factory restore.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by talktomepls View Post
    Hi
    Thanks for the response. It does have the Sim card, and I do get past the start screen. I can then configure the wifi settings, and it shows the icon at the top, but when i click the internet browser it says I need to activate.

Any ideas?
    The home page might be one reachable only through the carrier's internal data network. Try a URL such as http://www.google.com instead. Every Wi-Fi connection is not automatically a connection to the Internet. The access point to which you are joined has to be connected to the Internet.
    Last edited by efparri; 07-05-2014 at 09:28 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto Maxx (XT1225, LG Nexus 5 (LG-D820)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    If it's an android, you should be able to use it via wifi without a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    The telephone has a proprietary operating system. The telephone might require a SIM card to get past the start screen. The SIM card does not have to be active but it has to be the one which came with the telephone. It is unclear whether you are able to set up your Wi-Fi connection.
    Right. It's not an Android, not a smartphone. It's just a cheap feature phone locked to Straight Talk.

Has a 3" display with 176p resolution. Yes, 176p. FYI: iPhones have 640p, HD starts at 720p, 1080p is full HD which all top tier Androids have; many new top tier Androids this year will even have QHD 1440p like the LG G3.

Not worth messing with, in my opinion. By the way, horrible reviews on Amazon. Twice as many 1 star reviews as 5 star reviews.