Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread: Zact shutting down, It's On opening new Zact type service.

Carrier(s)
    Ting - R+ - Lyca - BYO - Selectel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    i have used that app 100's of times on sprint samsung s3, s4, note 2, note 3 without root.
    Looks like you have to flash that apk file? If not, it sure was nice of them to provide instructions on its interface with the device, especially since Wallarooh2 has admitted to being a little less tech savvy.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    I'm sure Sprint required an exclusive license.

If you are a large corporation licensing something from a novel small entity, you can normally get that.

In all likelihood it also required ItsOn to discontinue selling directly.
    I would not be so sure about that since it most certainly would not be in the interests of Its On and its high flying backers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pfoneguy View Post
    Looks like you have to flash that apk file? If not, it sure was nice of them to provide instructions on its interface with the device, especially since Wallarooh2 has admitted to being a little less tech savvy.
    you just download and install the .apk file

really not hard at all, when you tap the file it prompts if you want to install.

its not something that i would call 'flashing'

Carrier(s)
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sensij View Post
    I'm encountering the same difficulty with Ting regarding activation of the Zact Victory - PLS300KIT. However, R+ shows it as a phone that can be activated. Did you have any luck with this?

For what its worth, I've started a thread on the Ting forums to address the Zact transitions more directly:
    https://help.ting.com/entries/949367...ility-for-Ting
    Ting has updated their device list to accept Zact devices. They have stated that the LG Zact phones will not work because they have a custom ROM. The Samsung Zact phones should be fine, it now accepts my Victory's ESN in the online activation system.

The ZTE Zact phone (Awe) has not been tested yet. If you have one of those and would like to try Ting, respond to the Ting thread above and it sounds like they will try it out.

Feedback Score
    Ting has updated their device list to accept Zact devices. They have stated that the LG Zact phones will not work because they have a custom ROM. The Samsung Zact phones should be fine, it now accepts my Victory's ESN in the online activation system.

The ZTE Zact phone (Awe) has not been tested yet. If you have one of those and would like to try Ting, respond to the Ting thread above and it sounds like they will try it out.
    That's good news, thanks for letting us know.
    So far my impression is that for my low usage the VM plan may even be cheaper than what I was paying on Zact (the fees might be lower if I am not mistaken.) But it's good to know that Ting is an option if things change with my situation.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Most likely all that would need to be done is to root the Elite and/or Viper and just flash, for simplicity's sake, a stock based custom ROM.

Feedback Score
    The significant changes I see that VM Custom has made to Zact service are:
    1) Roaming is no longer free
    2) Less granular tiers at the low end of service
    3) Eliminate the automatic credit down to the tier needed for actual usage
    4) 1st level customer service without a mastery of English.

All of those look designed to improve profitability. If Zact hadn't shut down, and instead made those changes, I'm pretty sure people would have been just as upset. That doesn't even account for the brand and marketing infrastructure that VM already has, and would be very expensive for Zact to create.

Partnerships with data content providers for preferred access seems like the long term value of this software, as they explored with the Disney at the end of 2013. It will be interesting to see how VM runs with this aspect of the technology.

I'd add the loss of visual voicemail to the list. That really sucks! It's taking the phone back 10 years. Zact used
    Youmail as part of the standard load. No similar service will work with VMC because they don't support conditional
    call forwarding, or AFAIK, any call forwarding.

Another factor is that at the lower end tier, you won't get any money back period, either automatically
    or by adjusting the plan yourself. With Zact if you bought 250 but used only 90, they would credit
    you for the difference between the 250 plan and the 100 plan. With VMC, if you buy 250 and use 90,
    they won't credit anything because the next plan down is no plan, eg just the 20 mins that you get
    as part of the $7 charge. Over 20, under 250, you pay for the 250.

And I disagree about people still being miffed if they had just raised the rates. If they had just done
    that, raised my rate by $5 or $10 not created all the unneccesary drama, uncertainty, loss of Youmail,
    loss of roaming, all the time we've all wasted, I'd still be on Zact and be satisfied.

And I'm really, really miffed at the loss of visual voicemail. I have a new Smartphone and I can't use
    one of the most basic, nifty, productive features.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowHF View Post
    So far my impression is that for my low usage the VM plan may even be cheaper than what I was paying on Zact (the fees might be lower if I am not mistaken.) But it's good to know that Ting is an option if things change with my situation.
    I'd be curious to know what your low usage profile is that will be cheaper. And from what I see, the fees are higher on VMC or
    about the same. Zact was $5 line charge, with no mins. VMC is $7, with 20 mins V, 20 mins text included. That's $2 higher,
    minus whatever the 20/20 is worth.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Minutes are ~40% cheaper than Zact, text is higher across the board and data is higher up to 1GB and then Zact went off the reservation. This was a complaint I always had with Zact because they never adjusted their Data rates to Match Ting's after Ting adjusted theirs. Most likely because they did not care since they knew this VMC change was coming. VMC has pretty much matched Ting's data rates and after 2GB is also a better value. Ting is also ~40% higher on their minutes than VMC.
    I had asked Zact to e-mail me a cost sheet that listed all the tiers so I could make a direct comparison and they refused, said they had nothing that listed what they charged, Bull!
    Zact Wayback (takes a minute to load)
    Text
    0500 = 04.43 Z
    0500 = 05.50 VM
    0750 = NA Z
    0800 = 05.02 Z
    0750 = 06.50 VM
    1000 = 05.28 Z
    1000 = 08.00 VM
    1250 = 06.27 Z
    1250 = 09.00 VM
    1500 = 07.07 Z
    1500 = 10.00 VM
    1750 = NA Z
    1750 = 11.00 VM
    2000 = 08.70 Z
    2000 = 12.00 VM
    Text with VM is a rip off and it is less costly than Min/MB. A sure way to alienate the younger folks!

0020 = NA Z
    0020 = 1.40 VM
    0050 = 1.88 Z
    0050 = NA VM
    0250 = 7.24 Z
    0250 = 8.00 VM
    0500 = 13.23 Z
    0500 = 13.50 VM
    0750 = 18.47 Z
    0750 = 16.00 VM
    1024 = 19.98 Z
    1000 = 18.50 VM
    1536 = 29.38 Z
    1500 = 24.00 VM
    2000 = 38.39 Z
    2000 = 28.00 VM

With VMC it is kind of a mixed bag as far as costs if you factor in some of the missing features, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowHF View Post
    Yeah, my VM plan will be $1 more than my Zact plan:
    VM: 750 mins, 750 texts, 500mb = $43.11
    Zact: 800 mins, 800 texts, 500mb = $41.96

A difference of $1.15 per month.

I realize that the Zact plan has 50 more mins and text, but that was the closest I could get the Zact plan to mirror the VM plan.

Regardless the only 2 big downsides I see with VM is the tiers and roaming -- there isn't as many tiers for VM, which means if you fall over your monthly plan by only a little it might end up being costly to do so. I don't like the roaming costs, but we don't use roaming very often, if at all. In the end $1 a month wont break the bank haha.
    Last edited by ncro82; 08-15-2014 at 08:12 AM.

Feedback Score
    Two additional (major) complaint against VM's service so far. (1) No 4G since moving over to VM using LG Viper 4G LTE. (2) Each time I call to address this issue, they don't know that I've called before about the same issue, and offer to do the same thing again & again - reprogram my phone, which sometimes leads to a 2-hour phone call (due to rebooting phone multiple times).

Been working with VM CS for the past 9 days or so, with multiple calls, and each time, they just walk me through the re-program. I used to get 4G in the areas I commute (zip 64106 to zip 66061 which, at some points, is about 2 miles from Sprint world HQ) using Zact service. VM apparently cannot provide the 3G service in the same area. Or at least, they haven't figured out how. Still waiting on a resolution, according to my latest call to VM CS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trader555 View Post
    I'd be curious to know what your low usage profile is that will be cheaper. And from what I see, the fees are higher on VMC or
    about the same. Zact was $5 line charge, with no mins. VMC is $7, with 20 mins V, 20 mins text included. That's $2 higher,
    minus whatever the 20/20 is worth.
    That impression is based on checking my recent Zact bills, which were between $8 and $9, compared to the $7.47 the basic VM Custom plan cost for a month. The 20 minutes of included talk time would almost always fill my requirements. I was surprised also and wondering if the difference is due to fees.

Feedback Score
    OK, it was unscientific. I checked the breakdown, and see that on Zact I was paying for what I assume was the lowest tier of data also:

Monthly Plan $4.37
    Monthly Text 25 $0.71
    Monthly Data 50 $1.88
    Monthly Talk 60 $1.78
    Savings ($1.78)
    Monthly Line Fees $4.99
    Federal/State/City Surcharges, Taxes and Fees Total $1.03
    Total Charges $8.61

Carrier(s)
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ncro82 View Post
    Yeah, my VM plan will be $1 more than my Zact plan:
    VM: 750 mins, 750 texts, 500mb = $43.11
    Zact: 800 mins, 800 texts, 500mb = $41.96

A difference of $1.15 per month.

I realize that the Zact plan has 50 more mins and text, but that was the closest I could get the Zact plan to mirror the VM plan.

Regardless the only 2 big downsides I see with VM is the tiers and roaming -- there isn't as many tiers for VM, which means if you fall over your monthly plan by only a little it might end up being costly to do so. I don't like the roaming costs, but we don't use roaming very often, if at all. In the end $1 a month wont break the bank haha.
    FWIW, here is the Ting pricing:
    800 min = $18 (next tier at 1001 min = $35)
    800 text = $5 (next tier at 1001 text = $8)
    500 MB = $12 (next tier at 501 MB = $19)

If this is for one phone ($6 line fee), Ting price comes also comes out to $41, but gives you a little more breathing room on minutes and texts, and also gives you free voice roaming. VMC's international packages might be better, and you can buy data roaming, or app specific data packages.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pfoneguy View Post
    I would not be so sure about that since it most certainly would not be in the interests of Its On and its high flying backers.
    I agree. From what I can see, ItsOn has numerous patents on what amounts to being able to change your plan from the phone. If you're a carrier and you want to do it, I think they are the only game in town, unless you want to challenge the patents. ItsOn keeps calling what they have "technology". Reminds me of 2000 era, when a friend of mine who was playing stocks kept using the term "technology" for what Gemstar, one of the high flying stocks had. In their case, they had what amounted to a patent for putting up a TV guide on a TV screen and were getting a royalty from every cable company. How folks get some of these patents, IDK. If I can order a pizza online and buy stuff at Amazon, I don't see what's so revolutionary that makes fiddling with your cell plan on your phone patentable. Imagine if someone had patentend ordering the pizza.

So, IDK what VM did or didn't do, but I would bet that they didn't get an exclusive deal.

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast