Page 48 of 91 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast

Thread: HARBOR MOBILE - New T-Mobile MVNO?

Device(s)
    SAMSUNG (Rooted of Course)
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by collegea View Post
    Actually, I am going all data. I have 3 mobile hotspot plans with Harbor.
    Hello collegea, I'm wondering why you went this route? Have other family using the hotspots too.
    Seems like for a dollar less you could of had unlimited everything and not be throttled after 15gbs.

You have any problems with your LTE signal jumping down to edge or hspa where you live?
    I've got 5 towers all less than two miles in different directions from me and although I'm not
    sure they are all t-mobile's they all have the MMC-310, MNC-260 in their cell ID info. as well
    as the signal they put out, two are LTE, two are EDGE and one being HSPA. The APN's of my
    phone list the mmc310 and mnc260 so they all could be T's towers.

Anyone else signal jumping from LTE?

Device(s)
    Moto G7, Moto G7 Play, Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart, AT&T unlimited Data
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titon View Post
    Hello collegea, I'm wondering why you went this route? Have other family using the hotspots too.
    Seems like for a dollar less you could of had unlimited everything and not be throttled after 15gbs.

You have any problems with your LTE signal jumping down to edge or hspa where you live?
    I've got 5 towers all less than two miles in different directions from me and although I'm not
    sure they are all t-mobile's they all have the MMC-310, MNC-260 in their cell ID info. as well
    as the signal they put out, two are LTE, two are EDGE and one being HSPA. The APN's of my

Anyone else signal jumping from LTE?
    I have not used more than 15 GB of data per month so far and my signal does not jump in my home. I get a consistent 3-5 bars of 4G LTE in my home. Travelling around the NYC area, the signal jumps, of course, but is usually a strong 4g LTE signal. About 6-9 months ago, my T-Mobile 4G LTE signal was jumping to HSPA quite a bit in my home. That was not good and the prime reason why I ported to Sprint Prepaid. But since I have come back, everything has been good so far. Clearly, T-Mobile upgraded my area since that debacle.

The Unlimited data you are speaking of is only for smartphones; it does not pertain to Mobile Hotspot, which I use in conjunction with my voice on my smartphones, Chromebooks, PCs and printers. My wife has her own harbor data plans since she runs her own business. My sons are all grown up and out of the house.

I don't need unlimited data so why should I pay for it?

I got rid of my Time Warner Cable Internet and have saved money there. The regular price for a standard internet plan there is about $70 a month.

In order to go all data, you need a a consistent 4g LTE signal in your home. I have that. Also, the price of the data must be reasonable. HM's data plan is very reasonable. So, I was a good candidate to go this route. There is a learning curve in terms of setting up Volte. That took a while and I am still learning.

Clearly, T-Mobile has work to do in your area. Hope it comes sooner rather than later for you.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    I have not used more than 15 GB of data per month so far and my signal does not jump in my home. I get a consistent 3-5 bars of 4G LTE in my home. Travelling around the NYC area, the signal jumps, of course, but is usually a strong 4g LTE signal. About 6-9 months ago, my T-Mobile 4G LTE signal was jumping to HSPA quite a bit in my home. That was not good and the prime reason why I ported to Sprint Prepaid. But since I have come back, everything has been good so far. Clearly, T-Mobile upgraded my area since that debacle.

The Unlimited data you are speaking of is only for smartphones; it does not pertain to Mobile Hotspot, which I use in conjunction with my voice on my smartphones, Chromebooks, PCs and printers. My wife has her own harbor data plans since she runs her own business. My sons are all grown up and out of the house.

I got rid of my Time Warner Cable Internet and have saved money there. The regular price for a standard internet plan there is about $70 a month.

In order to go all data, you need a a consistent 4g LTE signal in your home. I have that. Also, the price of the data must be reasonable. HM's data plan is very reasonable. So, I was a good candidate to go this route. There is a learning curve in terms of setting up Volte. That took a while and I am still learning.

Clearly, T-Mobile has work to do in your area. Hope it comes sooner rather than later for you.
    I understand somewhat of your reasoning.
    I just not sure of the the 3GB's that the unlimited $50. plan offers for the hotspots, I mean how could
    harbor or t-m tell when your phone or another device through your phone is drawing the data when it's
    all coming through the phone?
    Yes I clearly don't understand techy in depth, wouldn't there be work arounds or even not using the
    latest model phone. Rooted or not and the like. I'm learning a lot and the more I do the more there
    seems to be yet. Do you know how they tell the difference of just surfing the web on my phone or if
    I do it usb tethered to my PC?

As for my original question I was looking at money versa gigabytes - $54. =15 whereas $53. =
    unlimited. But if they definitely can tell the difference then I totally understand your method.
    Thanks for answering.

Device(s)
    Moto G7, Moto G7 Play, Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart, AT&T unlimited Data
    Feedback Score

titon, I'm not sure how they can tell when you've reached your 3gb hotspot limit. All I know is they can. Yes, there are workarounds to hide the tethering. One workaround is PDANet+, but I wasn't happy with the speeds I was getting. Bottom line: it was to slow for me. Yes, there are other workarounds if you can root your phone. How good these other alternatives are is another story.

I prefer surfing the web at home on my chromebook and PCs rather than on my smartphones or phablet. When I am outside my house or lying in bed, surfing the web on a smartphone is fine; but I would never make a smartphone or phablet my prime internet connection. That is where I differ from the younger generation.

I am very happy with the speeds I am getting on my Chromebook and PCs. And by that I don't mean the speed tests that everyone uses on HoFo. I am talking about having little to no lags whatsoever when I surf the web and play a YouTube video or stream highlights from the NHL playoffs. Web surfing and the little streaming I do is very fluid. That is a lot more important to me than a speed test. Plus, my voice over data calls are clear.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    titon, I'm not sure how they can tell when you've reached your 3gb hotspot limit. All I know is they can. Yes, there are workarounds to hide the tethering. One workaround is PDANet+, but I wasn't happy with the speeds I was getting. Bottom line: it was to slow for me. Yes, there are other workarounds if you can root your phone. How good these other alternatives are is another story.

I prefer surfing the web at home on my chromebook and PCs rather than on my smartphones or phablet. When I am outside my house or lying in bed, surfing the web on a smartphone is fine; but I would never make a smartphone or phablet my prime internet connection. That is where I differ from the younger generation.

I am very happy with the speeds I am getting on my Chromebook and PCs. And by that I don't mean the speed tests that everyone uses on HoFo. I am talking about having little to no lags whatsoever when I surf the web and play a YouTube video or stream highlights from the NHL playoffs. Web surfing and the little streaming I do is very fluid. That is a lot more important to me than a speed test. Plus, my voice over data calls are clear.
    collegea it's good to hear you found a niche that works for you and as well save you money also.
    I've just been reading about how the cell companies can tell this-one way is by your user agent string which tells things like your phone make, build and os version browser, etc. I do remember that under setting and data usage I did see tethering listed when I was on the $30. 100min unlimited text and 5GB plan. I just don't know
    say when you short code #932# for your data usage that it separates out unlimited from hotspot used.

Yes just outside KC.MO metro area T-Mobile needs to do some work on towers and signals.

Hey thanks for your help.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Have you actually seen these five towers?
    It seems to me there are just two.
    One with LTE, Edge and HSPA.
    The other with just LTE and Edge-----it might also have HSPA, you just haven't seen the evidence of it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score

Answer

Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    Have you actually seen these five towers?
    Hello rfranzq,

If you mean have I driven over to them and had eye's on, to visually see them in person - answer is no.

NOTE::: png images were to large to upload so I put them all in a pdf, so screenshot A = page 1, B = page 2,
    and so on for the rest of the screenshots. This was my quickest way to cover this well and see if you can
    understand. Who knew the phone screenshots would be in excess of 5mb's each.

I used an app I downloaded from GP called Network Signal Info. Pro, it uses your location GPS to show
    the towers in relationship to your physical location. See screenshot (A) for how it looks when it loads.
    (Notice Header band at the top - see the middle - a box with a area view - this is the GPS tower locations
    map).

There are 7 (seven) towers shown in my area all less than 5 miles away and like I had said 5 towers are
    less than 2 miles away. (see screenshot A)
    It shows me a group of three towers in very close proximity which I think could be one tower with different
    RF hardware installed sending out different RF signals. (see screenshots C, D, and E)-notice the different
    Cell ID numbers in screenshots C , D, and E.

Then using [*#2263# service mode baseband selection] from my Note 3 phones dial pad to select through
    the menu to actually connect to different towers. I was able to connect to towers in the screenshots D, F,
    and H, "I erased the lit man symbol representing my location for some security but, you can see a lit blue
    line that was connecting tower to lit man symbol, still being shown from the connection."

I was curious about UMTS as I had noticed I had speeds of 42 Mbit/s, 384 kbit/s being shown to me within the
    Network Signal Info. Pro app, this is from the Wikipedia page.
    UMTS = is a third generation mobile cellular system for networks based on the GSM standard. UMTS uses
    wideband code division multiple access (W-CDMA) radio access technology to offer greater spectral efficiency
    and bandwidth to mobile network operators.

I hope I was able to answer your question.

Thanks...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Being Old is hard enough in a world geared to the Young

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for this business or any posts I make to be CONSTRUDED as such.
    Then, any other posts I make anywhere on the HF, am I associated with a business by any other means than JUST a CUSTOMER,
    if - even in that capacity. I'm NOT ADVERTISING for myself, a business, anyone... THANK YOU !

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score

Ever looked or been to T-M account since starting with HM ?

Anyone with HM gone to my T-mobile and sign in/up, right after I put the sims in phone
    (I think it was) I got welcomed to T-mobile through a text and ask/told to sign in/up.
    So I did - this was days ago, I think I did basics except make (or mark) my phone line as primary.
    (not knowing what this meant) which limited my account in some ways. viewing info.?

I had the same number on an account with the 100min. unlimited text, 5gb data before.
    I ported that number out to ringto and same day it was to be done, ported it in to HM.
    That went smooth as glass.

This new TM account with the same old number used before, I used a different email and
    first name but same last name, different PW.
    Today I went back and did the I forgot PW and tried to get verified through security
    questions that I don't remember setting up, there was only two but only one from the first
    account was the same question. (not that the answer would be the same).
    So I did text to phone verification, had to enter my number and HM zip code for it to work.

I got in to my T account and made my number as primary this time.
    Changed my security questions and answers, got a text telling me of the change once I saved them.
    The answers of the three questions there were all just 3 characters long.

This is general information viewable there.

Welcome, xxxxxx Your phone number: (xxx) xxx-xxxx Lines on your account: 1

Your profile:

Customer information-
    Name: your name
    E-mail address: your email
    911 address: your home

Change your password
    Change your security questions and answers

Billing address-
    Name: HARBOR MOBILE INC
    Street address 1: 1017 WALNUT ST
    City: ROSELLE
    State: NJ
    Zip code: 07203

Manage payment options-
    Saved accounts:
    You have no saved payment methods on this account.

Marketing communication
    preferences-

Line: your number

Opted IN: ext Messaging ; Voicemail ; Phone ; E-Mail ; Mail

Language Preference: ENG

My T-Mobile preferences-

Line: your number

Name: First

Viewable: checked

[I haven't changed most of what I found there, except here for privacy]

Account usage-

Bill Cycle Runs:
    04/09/15 - 05/08/15 (this is not when I started up service)

Your Name - plan:
    BIZ SC UNL TT+D 6 lines incl

Services:
    Visual Voice Mail
    Block Content SUB
    Block Intl VoiceTxtWeb Acc SUB
    ILD Bar Sub Level
    BIZ Unl & 3GB SMHS
    AAL NAC Value UNL TT+D SmBiz
    [ anybody care to guess or know what these
    6 are or how to go about using some ]

This is where I find things interesting - since there is only 1 line on my acc.

(Shared) overview

Shared Whenever Minutes: 1205 / Unlimited
    Week Night Minutes: 315 / Unlimited
    Weekend Minutes: 284 / Unlimited
    Text Messages: 6183 / Unlimited
    Picture Messages: 172 / Unlimited

I don't know where they got this information above on usage cause it's not me.

I have made less than 6 calls at anytime - less than 10 min's time total,
    I've sent 2 texts, an NO picture messages.

For billing, data is rounded to the nearest MB.
    On-network and domestic data allotments differ; see rate plan for details.

Date-------Time-------Megabytes ---------------- Unlimited on our network

Man they break it down by the day, time, and amount of data. On mine it looks like
    every TWO hours they took a reading, like this for a near two hour span 72.7958 to
    78.0517, then bout an hour later it reads this 9.7255 then two hours bout 41.6914
    then two more bout 62.3134.
    This is all on the same day about two hours apart as the day rolled on, like 2,1,2,2.
    Got me scratching my head 72.7958-78.0517, I can see here it was building but an hour
    later it shows 9.7255 like maybe the counter started over, then two hours later 41.6914
    and looks like the counter is still running with the same data draw two hours later at

I don't see to where they call out or separate cell phone data usage compared to hotspot/
    tethering data usage.
    Anyone know about how the unlimited data on the $50.00 Platinum plan with the 3gb hotspot
    is shown separated anywhere to where you can view your gb's left of the 3gb's.
    Last edited by titon; 05-08-2015 at 05:22 PM. Reason: seperated some text apart

Carrier(s)
    VZW Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    What you're seeing on the data thing, according to what Harbor sent to me when I questioned the supposed use on my 5GB data line, is individual data sessions on the device. So 9.7255 = 9.7255 MB used in that session. Or at least that's what I would guess it would be, since all Harbor sent me was an Excel file that definitely had a "we just copied and pasted this off the web" feel to it.

I'm guessing the other usage you listed is for the entire account; the 6 lines included line above is probably how many lines Harbor has active on that account, and if you're the primary you get to see all the lumped together usage.

That would actually be a huge privacy concern of mine (and the privacy concern is part of why Harbor doesn't want people to have myT-Mobile access): can others whose lines are lumped under the same account see another person's private information?

Feedback Score
    @titon: I'm not familiar with the app you are using, but it sounds like ones that have been around for one's computer for years. You enter your zip code, a list of the towers is provided.

The problem is that it lists every single transmitting tower of every band and of every purpose on file with the FCC and the FAA. It lists a lot more than cellular: police, businesses, school districts, etc. Just about anything other than wifi or amateur radio! In other words, useless. And, of course the fact that we lay people think of a cluster of antennas on a building as a tower, the cellular business actually doesn't!

Every tower with cellular antennas on it is not necessarily your carrier, of course. It's a very complicated behind the scenes business, towers are. Most are not owned by cellular companies, but the latter lease space on them. And a celllular owned tower will usually carrier other brands; heck, they ain't stupid, it's income.

I can assure you that at any given location where you can get a signal, your phone will usually have no more than three towers to select from, more likely two in urban and suburban areas, and one in rural. The carriers don't want to spend money they don't have to to provide what they think is adequate coverage.

Drive around to the alleged tower locations. I'll bet a dollar that most of them are non-cellular.

I've long found it odd how cellular carriers refuse to tell the public where their towers are. What, the terrrorists are gonna win? It would be useful to know once in awhile so that if you have weak coverage you could drive in a specific direction to get better coverage.

Feedback Score
    I used an app I downloaded from GP called Network Signal Info. Pro, it uses your location GPS to show
    the towers in relationship to your physical location. See screenshot (A) for how it looks when it loads.
    (Notice Header band at the top - see the middle - a box with a area view - this is the GPS tower locations
    map).

There are 7 (seven) towers shown in my area all less than 5 miles away and like I had said 5 towers are
    less than 2 miles away. (see screenshot A)
    It shows me a group of three towers in very close proximity which I think could be one tower with different
    RF hardware installed sending out different RF signals. (see screenshots C, D, and E)-notice the different
    Cell ID numbers in screenshots C , D, and E.
    Pre-populated "tower maps" are notoriously inaccurate, don't rely on them for anything important.

Network Signal Info is good for its real-time signal strength display widgets, for mapping or bands analysis, not so much.

Cellmapper for the former, LTE Discovery and SignalCheck for the latter.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone had any luck with getting a signal booster from them without putting up a $350 deposit? T-Mobile offered me one for free but without account authorization they can't do it, which is understandable. When I call Harbor they are EXTREMELY shady about it and want me to fork over a deposit. Even threatning to cancel they don't seem to care. I live in a very well populated area and I don't feel I should have to do this when T-Mobile offers them for free. I thought about contacting John Legere but not sure how that would go, I am deathly afraid of loosing my number that I have had since the 90s. Any advice would be great?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanders2k7 View Post
    Has anyone had any luck with getting a signal booster from them without putting up a $350 deposit? T-Mobile offered me one for free but without account authorization they can't do it, which is understandable. When I call Harbor they are EXTREMELY shady about it and want me to fork over a deposit. Even threatning to cancel they don't seem to care. I live in a very well populated area and I don't feel I should have to do this when T-Mobile offers them for free. I thought about contacting John Legere but not sure how that would go, I am deathly afraid of loosing my number that I have had since the 90s. Any advice would be great?
    I did pay $350 plus shipping but I needed it as the coverage is not very good in my house. Once you cancel your service, it is refundable

Feedback Score
    The official TM boosters are not all they are cracked up to be, regardless of cost. While typically, well, boosting my signal from worthless to mostly pretty good, they are still times of one bar and even no bars. Nothing has moved, just the wanderings of microwave signals, I guess.

I got mine when I was with TM. I switched to HM a couple of months later, that was in December. Haven't heard from them for a return.

I started two threads on the boosters and had some phone coversations and emails with the marketing engineer at the manufacturer. Once I painted him into a corner with questions he couldn't answer, he stopped repsonding. For instance, why doesn't my LTE booster do a darned thing for my Nokia 810, either on voice or 4G (not LTE) data. They keep more in the dark than they are willing to discuss.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...el-Fi-Boosters

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...e-than-useless!

When I was looking on eBay 8 months ago, they were selling for $100-120.

Good luck. You'll need it. Also time and patience.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanders2k7 View Post
    If your worried about losing your number just port it over to Google Voice for 20 bucks and you will never have to worry about it anymore.

Page 48 of 91 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast