Page 53 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast

Thread: HARBOR MOBILE - New T-Mobile MVNO?

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by collegea View Post
    Just call them up. I think 1 is the activation line. They'll make you a priority.
    Looks like my sim has left Brooklyn this morning according to USPS tracking, charge to cc has also posted. Doesn't look like the card was activated though. I guess I will have to wait until it arrives and then call HM?

Odd that I 'm not getting any email notices.

Feedback Score
    Hi,
    I'll be traveling to Canada for a few days, so have the following questions.
    Did anyone use HM in Canada? I'm wondering how does it work? Is it actually blocked so I have to call HM to enable calling, texting and data? Also, according to HM I have to pay $25 deposit which is refunded if I have 0 minutes talk. What if I talk - do they use that $25 or the cost of talk is additional?
    Thanks in advance.

AK

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinus007 View Post
    Hi,
    I'll be traveling to Canada for a few days, so have the following questions.
    Did anyone use HM in Canada? I'm wondering how does it work? Is it actually blocked so I have to call HM to enable calling, texting and data? Also, according to HM I have to pay $25 deposit which is refunded if I have 0 minutes talk. What if I talk - do they use that $25 or the cost of talk is additional?
    Thanks in advance.

AK
    If you use the voice call over network while roaming, they will forfeit the 25 dollar deposit PLUS the per minute rate you use while roaming over network. But it's free to use if connected over Wifi Calling to call and receive USA number ONLY.

Feedback Score
    Can someone help me what the steps to signup. We just need to apply for a EIN which I understand is free. I don't plan to have a business to make any money do you just select Sole Proprietor. When it comes to Taxes is anything different or extra forms need to be done if no income came in. Then I just email them the paperwork.

2nd I'm on Tmobile already and would like to keep that number since I had it over 10years do I just port to Google I just don't get the Google Voice thing then do I keep it with Google or port out is that possible.

I plan to get the $50 unlimited and might get the $15 Tablet. I would do the 2 for $100 deal through Tmobile I heard it's going away but Tmobile keeps telling me they have no end date for that promo but I can't make use of the 2nd phone line the only way I could use it would be sign up for that promo and use that Sim in a Tablet but would be a waste bill would be $120 compared to $71 but only 5GB on the Tablet through Harbor but would have another 5GB on my phone line to use as a spot on the tablet so 10GB total which is plenty the 5GB would be.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bdestroyer8418 View Post
    Can someone help me what the steps to signup. We just need to apply for a EIN which I understand is free. I don't plan to have a business to make any money do you just select Sole Proprietor. When it comes to Taxes is anything different or extra forms need to be done if no income came in. Then I just email them the paperwork.

2nd I'm on Tmobile already and would like to keep that number since I had it over 10years do I just port to Google I just don't get the Google Voice thing then do I keep it with Google or port out is that possible.

I plan to get the $50 unlimited and might get the $15 Tablet. I would do the 2 for $100 deal through Tmobile I heard it's going away but Tmobile keeps telling me they have no end date for that promo but I can't make use of the 2nd phone line the only way I could use it would be sign up for that promo and use that Sim in a Tablet but would be a waste bill would be $120 compared to $71 but only 5GB on the Tablet through Harbor but would have another 5GB on my phone line to use as a spot on the tablet so 10GB total which is plenty the 5GB would be.
    I just signed up with them a couple days ago. I got an EIN (took exactly 10 minutes) which I think has no specific tax implication (sole proprietor, you report your income if any as part of your normal taxes). I went to the HM web site, did the steps for registration, and emailed them the pdf I got from the IRS ([email protected] with "business verification" in the subject), and got my invitation back in 20 minutes. So it's really easy.
    As far as Google Voice, yes, you'd port your number to it (note: the port isn't free), then you leave it there forever (you can also port out if you change your mind). Here's a word of caution: I have it, and that's the number I use and give to my friends but I'm not 100% satisfied with it.
    It works well for calls, no problem there.
    But for messages it's not very good:
    - You have to use either the Google Voice app (deprecated) or Hangouts so people see your texts as coming from your GV number and not your carrier number. I don't know of other messaging apps that have GV integrated in.
    - The issue is that: The google voice app does not do MMS (can't send them, can't receive them), and Hangouts currently does not do group messaging (if you use your GV number), which for me is a major bummer (example: organizing a carpool with several people, you can't send messages to different people, and respond to several). It's a known limitation of Hangouts that Google hasn't addressed yet (in typical Google manner, I've come to really dislike them). So either use the Google Voice app, and forget about MMS, or use Hangouts and forget about group-messaging. Great choice right here!

There's another option, ring.to (search the forum), which unlike Google is free. It's not integrated directly into Android, so I think you have to use their app to make calls, and to text (if I'm not mistaken).
    J.

Feedback Score
    @jeanl ... Thanks my main concern was the taxes. I didn't want to run to issues when doing them next season.

MMS and Group texting is not a issue since one I can't stand when I get group text and everyone decides to just reply back to that text and I don't send or receive many MMS if it's a picture they can always email me.

I see the fee is $20 so that's not that bad I guess to keep it. I can always just start handing out my new number to people I talk to most and keep the old phone # for GV or people I don't talk that often. I would have to check the app out or videos to see how it kinda works. Honestly I doubt anyone knows anyone's number off memory if you had to dial without click on the name in contacts.

Do I need a Harbor Mobile Sim or can any Tmobile Sim be used (Would have to be brand new right) same with the Tablet Sim.

I just bought the LG G4 Tmobile brand so this should work shouldn't have to be unlocked ? I know I will have to pay the phone off in full on Tmobile when I close but that's ok.

I was thinking of doing the 4 line plan as well since my Grandmother and Mother are one a 2line Grandfather plan but they don't pay much maybe $50 after taxes they would get more Mins and get Data but they don't need any then my father is on a tracphone which would have to be the 4th but that would cost him more and he only uses to pickup my mom and the train or to get my niece from school. Also looked into Metro PCS since the same plan is $60 but this is cheaper plus I heard on Metro you are 2nd on the line where Tmobile users get priority over you i that's true or not.

Does the Wifi calling feature on the Tmobile phone still work then as well on Harbor Mobile. THanks
    Last edited by bdestroyer8418; 06-24-2015 at 12:07 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto G7, Moto G7 Play, Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart, AT&T unlimited Data
    Feedback Score
    You can use RingTo to promptly forward your calls to GV. It is nicely integrated in that way. And it works well with HangOuts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by collegea View Post
    You can use RingTo to promptly forward your calls to GV.
    That's how I do it. Note the RingTo app will send texts using that number from any device or their website.

GrooVeIP is the voice calling app, good for free calling using the RT # when you have strong WiFi or carrier data. GrooVeIP will also integrate with your gV # if you prefer.

RingTo is 100% free including porting in or out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    That's how I do it. Note the RingTo app will send texts using that number from any device or their website.

GrooVeIP is the voice calling app, good for free calling using the RT # when you have strong WiFi or carrier data. GrooVeIP will also integrate with your gV # if you prefer.

RingTo is 100% free including porting in or out.
    Man, I didn't think of that! Is the advantage that you can get a google voice number for free (if you don't port your old one) so you benefit from the free ringto port, and the google voice integration?

Feedback Score
    I'm not following 100% how that all works. So it's better to Port my Main number to RingTo since it's free. Then what are you suppose to do with GV do I signup for a GV number as well.

If I go with this deal. I will want to keep my phone number even if it's just for older contacts I barley talk to. I don't mind handing out the new harbor mobile phone I will get with the line to my main contacts if it makes things easier. Or just not worry about the new number.

Sorry for the questions just not up to date on how all this works.

Feedback Score

Everything has been covered here and on the other HM thread. How to do it, what options there are, etc. Discussed for almost a year.

I think, and confirmation from someone else would be good, there have been two changes regarding signup since HM started.

1) You used to be able to port TM post-paid accounts in, but not prepaid. I believe that now no TM account can be ported directly in. Makes sense. Back in December I changed my prepaid to postpaid and when that was due to roll over into a new billing cycle, ported out to HM.

2) They never asked, back then, for confirmation about being in business. Since I have a hobby business, I could check off the box or whatever it was about being in business with a straight face. I don't know, and someone more experienced than me can say, but it seems that having an EIN would obligate you to file quarterly or at least annual reports to the IRS. Of course, you can cancel it, too.

I decided that the downsides of Google Voice, outside of the $20, were way too major to even contemplate. Special apps to make and receive calls? Limited SMS and MMS? Better to port to anything ultra cheap like Cricket and as soon as that port goes through, move to HM. Sure, more expensive, and you may be w/o service for a day or even two, but it would be an option for some TM current customers.

Feedback Score
    Thanks it's just kinda hard to dig through 53 pages of talk and finding the answers. I talked to my friend about this and he has a small gaming Business told me he could just use his info. I asked HM about it they said they just need the info and I'll get a code and I need to put down the Business name in the Company field or something when signing up.

Thinking about trying it. Just wondering now how long it takes to port to say RingTo then over to HM. What kind of downtime to on the Ported number.

Also since I currently will bring a phone over but I'm on Tmobile EIP will I have to pay it off before signing up with HM just don't want Tmobile to blacklist this phone on me if I try signing up with it and not paid off. I don't mind paying it off in full but not til I decide if I'm switching. Since its 0% on Tmobile for the EIP I just pay monthly. I just started a new month with Tmobile on the 19th so will stick with it til then but like to get things ready to go.

Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks it's just kinda hard to dig through 53 pages of talk and finding the answers. I talked to my friend about this and he has a small gaming Business told me he could just use his info. I asked HM about it they said they just need the info and I'll get a code and I need to put down the Business name in the Company field or something when signing up.

Thinking about trying it. Just wondering now how long it takes to port to say RingTo then over to HM. What kind of downtime to on the Ported number.
    It's easy, I own an S-Corp so I faxed them over my Federal ID and had an invite code in 20 minutes. They will require documentation to validate the business.

Why would you port to Ring To and then to HM? As great as they are with plans, features and pricing I don't like the fact that they own your number not T-Mobile. You keep control of your number with Ring To.

Sent from an iPad via the HoFo App

Feedback Score

Also since I currently will bring a phone over but I'm on Tmobile EIP will I have to pay it off before signing up with HM just don't want Tmobile to blacklist this phone on me if I try signing up with it and not paid off. I don't mind paying it off in full but not til I decide if I'm switching. Since its 0% on Tmobile for the EIP I just pay monthly. I just started a new month with Tmobile on the 19th so will stick with it til then but like to get things ready to go.
    When i found this forum, it was a 49 pages. It always pays in educating yourself by reading the entire thread. I have learned sooo much from this thread. Yes, i have Harbor Mobile for about 3 months now with the $50 plans, with my numbers on Google Voice.

Feedback Score
    Leave it on RT, at least until you've really settled on HM, just forward in the meantime.

Porting in, they let you know in advance exactly when the port will take place, so you can really minimize any downtime.

Page 53 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast