Thread: iOS 7.1.2, TetherMe, and Airvoice

Feedback Score

iOS 7.1.2, TetherMe, and Airvoice

I can't get the 'Cellular Data Network' APN settings to stick in TetherMe after updating to iOS 7.1.2 and jailbreaking. After switching it to att.mvno, it keeps reverting back to 'phone'. Is this happening to anyone else? And is there a workaround?

Carrier(s)
    Solavei
    Feedback Score
    Have same problem on iOS 7.1.2 iPhone 4 using h20 wireless SIM card ... Change to att.mvno but when I exit and cone back it shows iPhone

Device(s)
    Applie iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    FYI... I have the same issue. However, I was able to work around this with the site WWW.UNLOCKIT.CO.NZ. In case you haven't seen it before, it works great even on non-JB phones. Combined with Tetherme, you should be back in business if you need tethering too.

EDIT: I contacted the authors of TetherMe and they acknowledged the issue with 7.1.2 and said they are working on it. I'm sure it will be updated soon enough.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Snatch77; 07-09-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Solavei
    Feedback Score
    WWW.UNLOCKIT.CO.NZ always works for data but the whole point of tetherme is the input correct MMS settings along with data so that we can send pictures through message app

Feedback Score
    Hi,
    The word is use APNEdit instead of Tetherme.

AK

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinus007 View Post
    Hi,
    The word is use APNEdit instead of Tetherme.

AK
    I installed APNEdit and it didn't make any difference. Did anyone else on iOS 7.1.2 find differently?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    I noticed APNedit on 7.1.2 didn't work either. It kept going back to "phone" from att.mvno no matter how fast we entered and exit the settings. If you must have mms go with cricket, gophone or straighttalk.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch77 View Post
    FYI... I have the same issue. However, I was able to work around this with the site WWW.UNLOCKIT.CO.NZ. In case you haven't seen it before, it works great even on non-JB phones. Combined with Tetherme, you should be back in business if you need tethering too.

EDIT: I contacted the authors of TetherMe and they acknowledged the issue with 7.1.2 and said they are working on it. I'm sure it will be updated soon enough.

Good luck!
    I hope the issue with not being able to set APN for MMS is something that can actually be fixed with a future version of TetherMe and not something that Apple controls after iOS 7.1

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh44 View Post
    I can't get the 'Cellular Data Network' APN settings to stick in TetherMe after updating to iOS 7.1.2 and jailbreaking. After switching it to att.mvno, it keeps reverting back to 'phone'. Is this happening to anyone else? And is there a workaround?
    I just jailbroke my iPhone 4 on 7.1.2 with Pangu. Yes, I experienced the same problem. I installed TetherMe and the problem persisted. I tried APNedit and still was not able to edit MMS APN. Curiously, with APNedit still installed, I installed UltraSnow (Repo already default with Cydia). My edits "stayed" and did not revert back to 'phone'!! I was able to get picture messages. Be sure to reboot after installing UltraSnow. Yes, I was surprised that old *** UltraSnow actually worked. Good Luck. BTW. I am using H2o carrier.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    when did you notice it changed? After turning it off and on again, or it just changed it to Phone no matter what?

Carrier(s)
    Solavei
    Feedback Score
    Really weird how I got it to work, I installed tetherme cracked and no go....settings would not stick to att.mvno, they would revert to phone, so installed apnedit also ....still no good on settings stuck on iphone and att.mvno would not stick, then uninstalled tetherme cracked and like magic now att.mvno is sticking in menu and I can send mms ...Im using atat iphone 5 (not unlocked) with h20 sim card

https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/mainC...taManualConfig

Here are the settings I used to input into my iphone 5 to get mms, Also Im on IOS 7.1.2 jailbroken

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Tetherme just recently released a new version 3.1-1 in the bigboss repo last week. The only thing even listed in the change log was "Fix APN Editing on iOS7+." I upgraded Tetherme and the APN changes started saving again.

When this whole not saving apn changes thing happened it was annoying to loose mms briefly after upgrading to iOS 7.1.2 and running the pangu jailbreak. But I didn't really sweat it because I could still send MMS through iMessage to my family and most friends and I know that with root access through the jailbreak Tetherme or someone else would release some kind of fix.

However, if you are not jailbroken and still wanted to use the T-mobile SIM swap trick, it is still a no go. I doubt that option will ever work again unless apple decides to revert back to allowing non root accounts to edit the APN settings. So if you want to edit the APNs without jailbreaking then installing a profile for changing data APN to att.mvno is your only option and your out of luck for the MMS APN.

Also there are some very competitive pre-paid options out there now that are registered with Apple and you no longer need to edit data and MMS APNs even on a locked AT&T iPhone. The new Cricket, Net10, and StrightTalk are the big ones that the iphone now automatically recognized and sets the APNs for you. I just moved my daughter's and wife's lines from H2O to the new Cricket with mine to follow very shortly once my net10 monthly plan is ready to expire. Cricket is giving some great family discounts we are also adding my parents to the account as well which will get us the 5 line $90 (that is $18 per line) discount a month on the plan. As more of the mvnos register with Apple this will become less and less of an issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mhowerton79 View Post
    Tetherme just recently released a new version 3.1-1 in the bigboss repo last week. The only thing even listed in the change log was "Fix APN Editing on iOS7+." I upgraded Tetherme and the APN changes started saving again.
    Yay! Thanks for the heads up! Now I have MMS back. I guess I could uninstall the unlockit.co.nz profile, but it seems to do no harm to leave it there.

In the past, my APN settings would reset to the default 'phone' every now and then with my iPhone4 and Airvoice. It hasn't seemed to do that since I've been on iOS 7 though.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    I've tried the new tetherme and although it sticks my mms on Blackwireless still doesn't work.