Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: First day using H2o wireless was not too good

Feedback Score

First day using H2o wireless was not too good

My phone service started yesterday on H2o wireless with $10.00 in their minute plan.

I made a few calls and one person called me and everything seemed fine. Later my wife said she called but got voicemail. As of this morning, I used 10 minutes at .05 per minutes for a total of 50 cents. After each call a popup windows shows the amount charged and balance in the account. Data was not set up so any data was over Wi-Fi for free.

This morning I switched Wi-Fi off, data on and configured the data settings. As soon as I saved the settings, a few apps connected and used data and the data indicator lit. It took a few seconds to switch Wi-Fi on and data off. Then I got a popup window that did not state the charge but showed a balance of $8.65 and I wrote it down.

The phone showed 894KB mobile data used which is less than one MB. The rate is 10 cents per MB but 85 cents was deducted. I went to H2o’s website, checked the balance and it was $8.61, so another 4 cents disappeared.

I called customer service about the discrepancies and got a clueless person that could barely speak English mumbling that my phone is using data without my knowledge. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she said they won’t talk to you. So I said I’ll call back during the week when the morning shift is in.

I will conduct further tests and keep track of everything but I have a bad feeling about this.

BTW, I tried to get their usage app called MyH2o but I get a 404 error. 404 error means files not found.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon (prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    I think you can check usage by dialing *777*3# and pressing send.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't use data on paygo. There's always data leaking and charges billed. If you must the Airvoice $10 monthly plan is better.

Device(s)
    too many iPhones
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    you do not want to be on h2o paygo if you want to use data - particularly if you have an iphone. if you are on android, then you can look for an app to suppress those balance notifications. otherwise switch to a monthly plan on h2o. it's in h2o's interest to have those balance notifications on paygo in order to encourage you to switch to monthly.

the customer service people cannot help you on suppressing those balance notifications. nothing they can do. this is not like gophone where you can go online to click a setting to suppress those annoying alerts.

if your phone is unlocked and want paygo (not monthly), then consider a tmo mvno like ptel.

been there where you are in being annoyed by the h2o balance notifications. lol

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't know if OP is as much bothered by the USSD notifications as the data accounting. (Though i don't discount the idea that OP finds these to be annoying -- because they are if you are even a moderate user.) My mom uses a Lumia 520 on H2O PAYGO and keeps mobile data off unless she needs it, then only temporarily turns it on.

In her case she doesn't mind the occasional data leakages when she has data turned off because she uses so little data, it would be more expensive to switch to a monthly plan.

Sent from my XT1053 using the HoFo app

Feedback Score
    I am on the H2O monthly plan so I never saw the balance notifications on the phone but 2 days before the expiration date, when I made a call, I heard a voice reminder telling me to recharge the account and my account is on auto recharge. It's a bit annoying but it's OK.

Device(s)
    Nexus⁴, Idol 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    The stock phone data usage monitor isn't always 100% accurate. At least what I have seen on android. What the carrier shows never matches what my phones read, especially if your measuring down to the MB on paygo.
    LG Nexus⁴ -- OmniRom lollipop 5.1.1 -- LTE enabled
    Alcatel Idol 3 ------- Stock lollipop -- 5.0.2
    Acer A100 -- GodDroid CM10 4.1.2 @1.5ghz
    Old: Moto G, F3, Blaze 4g, SIII, OV, MT, Rise, Elite

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal- View Post
    BTW, I tried to get their usage app called MyH2o but I get a 404 error. 404 error means files not found.
    Regarding the MyH2O app, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2o.myh2o&hl=en gave you a 404 error?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Regarding the MyH2O app, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2o.myh2o&hl=en gave you a 404 error?
    Hmm. I just tried this and was able to download it. Maybe OP should try again?

Sent from my XT1053 using the HoFo app

Device(s)
    Ascend Y, Proclaim, Ascend Plus
    Carrier(s)
    America Movil, Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'll concur with OP's comment about supervisors. I asked for one yesterday and the rep refused. I asked for someone who could speak better English. She refused.

Feedback Score
    If you have a windows phone and you update to windows 8.1 there is an app called DATA Sense built in which will protect from data leaks.
    iOS and Android are notorious for data leaks because most people dont even know which apps are actually using data.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone. I use very little voice, text and data because I am around landlines and Wi-Fi most of the time. I also have a bunch of computers so I have little use for a cell phone except for when I’m away from the home and office. I keep data turned off only turning it on when needed which is not often and then I turn it right back off. The h2o popup window does not bother me but maybe over time it will. In the meantime, it was helpful because it alerted me that something was wrong.

I did some more tests today by installing a speed test app and billing seemed to be more accurate for data charges today. However, while doing the tests I was on the h20 website looking at my balance. After each test, I reloaded the page and the balance was always a few cents less than the balance it just gave on the phone. Calls seem to be charged correctly but data is anyone’s guess.

I’m in the country and while voice seems to be fine and data over Wi-Fi is good, but, data from the cell tower is so bad that two speed tests failed and two others came in with download speeds of around .56Mbps which is only 71.68 kilobytes. H2o charged me for 8.5MB (thats megabytes not bits) for the few seconds that I had data turned on and that would be impossible given the pathetic bandwidth speed that I have.

I had already looked at the other suggested service providers and I think any of the low usage plans would be fine. I just do not want to be ripped for data that I did not use. I will continue to monitor the service. Hopefully it was just some sort of glitch but CS was very rude.

One good thing is that I own an unlocked Moto G GSM LTE version so if there are any problems I can swipe out the SIM card for another service provider quick. LOL

Feedback Score
    On Android there are a number of apps and widgets to keep your cellular data off.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
    On Android there are a number of apps and widgets to keep your cellular data off.

via the HoFo App
    Yep, I'm using the free Data Enabler Widget on all my Android phones and I love it!

Feedback Score
    Sal-, if you do get around to trying another paygo service, please let us know if the cellular data is charged more in line with the usage your phone and app are reporting.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast