Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Speedtest results for Consumer Cellular?

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score

Speedtest results for Consumer Cellular?

Can anyone on Consumer Cellular run Speedtest and post results? Let's find out for real if they throttle data or have high ping times and end the speculation.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Following up to my own question, I signed up anyway. Here are Speedtest results I ran on my Moto G LTE
    Name:  Screenshot_2014-08-12-09-10-11.png
Views: 6769
Size:  503.5 KB

Doesn't appear to be throttled. Those speeds are approaching my home Internet speeds (in fact, upload is better!)

Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gweeper View Post
    Following up to my own question, I signed up anyway. Here are Speedtest results I ran on my Moto G LTE.
    Doesn't appear to be throttled. Those speeds are approaching my home Internet speeds (in fact, upload is better!)
    That's pretty impressive!

I find it a little odd that they don't mention 4G or LTE anywhere on their website (that I could find) other than in the coverage map.
    Last edited by lmacmil; 08-12-2014 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Added sentence.

Device(s)
    Moto Maxx (XT1225, LG Nexus 5 (LG-D820)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Following up to my own question, I signed up anyway. Here are Speedtest results I ran on my Moto G LTE
    Name:  Screenshot_2014-08-12-09-10-11.png
Views: 6769
Size:  503.5 KB

This is the ONLY speed test I have seen for Consumer Cellular. Have you done any others?

Seems like Consumer Cellular customers don't want to admit the data speeds they are getting? I don't know. Very strange this is the only one on the entire Internet.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile, RingPlus, Tracfone BYOP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    This is the ONLY speed test I have seen for Consumer Cellular. Have you done any others?

Seems like Consumer Cellular customers don't want to admit the data speeds they are getting? I don't know. Very strange this is the only one on the entire Internet.

Given that it is marketed mostly to seniors, I don't think it's all that strange. I'm generalizing, but most likely don't give a hoot whether they're getting a 100 ping and 22 down or a 300 ping and 8 down -- so long as they can use the internet when they want... if they want.
    Self-professed gadget geek, serial phone-tryer-outer.
    iOS, Android, BB10, Windows...it's all good.

Currently?
    Main lines:
    Iphone SE x2, Samsung J7: TMO Select Market Family Match
    Iphone 5s Tracfone

How many active SIMs does one person need?

Feedback Score
    I'm looking for a nice dual sim phone. I played with a Blu and seemed a little laggy and does not have a XDA following to improve it. Many of dual sim phones don't have LTE and if the do not the right bands for ATT.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile, RingPlus, Tracfone BYOP
    Feedback Score
    ^^Think you posted in the wrong thread, but...

I just bought the Blu Studio 5.0 c HD that Howard reviewed. For a budget dual sim phone, it is great. Not laggy at all. Have had it about a week. It's a great bargain phone, but as you said, not really any info on xda. Maybe in time. And no LTE.

via the HoFo App
    Last edited by stessT; 08-17-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Trying not to run Speedtest too much. Each one uses about 48MB. Maybe near the end of my billing cycle if I have some data left.

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Trying not to run Speedtest too much. Each one uses about 48MB. Maybe near the end of my billing cycle if I have some data left.

via the HoFo App
    That's a lot. Most speed test apps don't use that much.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    I ran it the other day, though I can't yet draw too many conclusions, because my location gets a pretty weak signal. With only two dots (bars) on my phone the LTE got about 2.5 Mbps download and 1.2 upload on LTE, with ping time around 140. I turned off LTE, and my iPhone then read 3G, and I got about the same speeds. No idea what this means, but I'll try again when I'm in a higher signal strength area.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score

via the HoFo App
    Yeah, mine burns 80 - 100MB each test. But I had extra data left over, so I decided to use it. Almost at end of my cycle.

That's why on Straight Talk, if you run a bunch of speed tests they will throttle you. They assume you are streaming video.

Carrier(s)
    Ting - R+ - Lyca - BYO - Selectel
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, mine burns 80 - 100MB each test. But I had extra data left over, so I decided to use it. Almost at end of my cycle.

That's why on Straight Talk, if you run a bunch of speed tests they will throttle you. They assume you are streaming video.
    Darn what app are you using, I have never seen a speed test draw 80-100MB, unless you are getting 60/70Mbps down and 20/30 up? The amount of data used usually coincides with what the speeds posted. If I get 16Mbps up and 5Mbps down the data used would be ~21MB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pfoneguy View Post
    Darn what app are you using, I have never seen a speed test draw 80-100MB, unless you are getting 60/70Mbps down and 20/30 up? The amount of data used usually coincides with what the speeds posted. If I get 16Mbps up and 5Mbps down the data used would be ~21MB
    I am getting those speeds, yes.

I have AT&T GoPhone. 5 speed tests this morning. Went from 230MB used to 582MB used. OK, average of just over 70MB for each test.

The reason I was asking about Consumer Cellular speeds is from my understanding AT&T makes all ALL MVNOs route data through a proxy server -- even their own MVNO, Cricket. Yet Consumer Cellular claims to have "access" to all of AT&T's postpaid network. I THINK that's just their way of bragging about having roaming privileges, doesn't mean they have access to AT&T's postpaid data servers like GoPhone does. (GoPhone is not structured like an MVNO.)

So, I looked for speed tests on Consumer Cellular and this thread is the only one I could find through extensive Google searching.

Feedback Score
    I don't know how Ookla's Speedtest app selects servers for speed tests, but on 3G I usually end up on a server from New Jersey, and on LTE usually one in Los Angeles. I live in Indiana, and I suspect the latter is the reason for my poor ping times on LTE. No idea if this suggests a proxy server, as I'm not well versed in these things.

Carrier(s)
    Ting - R+ - Lyca - BYO - Selectel
    Feedback Score
    I am getting those speeds, yes.

I have AT&T GoPhone. 5 speed tests this morning. Went from 230MB used to 582MB used. OK, average of just over 70MB for each test.

The reason I was asking about Consumer Cellular speeds is from my understanding AT&T makes all ALL MVNOs route data through a proxy server -- even their own MVNO, Cricket. Yet Consumer Cellular claims to have "access" to all of AT&T's postpaid network. I THINK that's just their way of bragging about having roaming privileges, doesn't mean they have access to AT&T's postpaid data servers like GoPhone does. (GoPhone is not structured like an MVNO.)

So, I looked for speed tests on Consumer Cellular and this thread is the only one I could find through extensive Google searching.
    Okay, I get it now, you are simply shilling for GoPhone.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast