Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good value large phone or phablet-esque?

Feedback Score

Good value large phone or phablet-esque?

So, I have to get my husband a new phone. His Captivate Glide is aging badly. I've updated it recently to 4.0, but the charging port is giving him fits & the battery life is horrendous. I've bought several new batteries, both OEM & generic, & the phone still drains excessively fast. I guess it's just nearing the end of its useful life.

Here's what he needs.

*Hardware keyboard (impossible)
    **OR**
    *Large screen in lieu of hardware keyboard 4.7 inches or larger
    *Dual core or better
    *1gb RAM or better
    *8gb ROM or better
    *Android 4.2 or better
    *AT&T compatible or unlocked
    *Decent battery life
    *Discontinued model is fine.
    *Decent price

He doesn't really care about the camera. I want to look for something no pricier than say the Moto X. Blu is fine if you can suggest a model that's pretty good. They seem to be hit or miss?

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    TMobile, RingPlus, Tracfone BYOP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
    So, I have to get my husband a new phone. His Captivate Glide is aging badly. I've updated it recently to 4.0, but the charging port is giving him fits & the battery life is horrendous. I've bought several new batteries, both OEM & generic, & the phone still drains excessively fast. I guess it's just nearing the end of its useful life.

Here's what he needs.

*Hardware keyboard (impossible)
    **OR**
    *Large screen in lieu of hardware keyboard 4.7 inches or larger
    *Dual core or better
    *1gb RAM or better
    *8gb ROM or better
    *Android 4.2 or better
    *AT&T compatible or unlocked
    *Decent battery life
    *Discontinued model is fine.
    *Decent price

He doesn't really care about the camera. I want to look for something no pricier than say the Moto X. Blu is fine if you can suggest a model that's pretty good. They seem to be hit or miss?

via the HoFo App

Depending on how MUCH he wants that hardware keyboard, he may love a Blackberry Q10. I had one. It was a FANTASTIC phone, and it runs Android apps. With the upcoming 10.3 update, running Android apps will be even easier. Battery was amazing, and the experience was very smooth.

Eta: just now going back and seeing the thread title! The Q10's screen is anything BUT large, but the keyboard is phenomenal. Lol
    Last edited by stessT; 07-22-2014 at 06:59 AM.
    Self-professed gadget geek, serial phone-tryer-outer.
    iOS, Android, BB10, Windows...it's all good.

Currently?
    Main lines:
    Iphone SE x2, Samsung J7: TMO Select Market Family Match
    Iphone 5s Tracfone

How many active SIMs does one person need?

Feedback Score
    How about a Nexus 5? 4.9" screen, runs like a dream. A lot of people who use apps like Facebook have had battery issues but I never have (I don't use the Facebook app).

And actually I'd also recommend the Moto X, the only reason I'd hesitate would be the new Moto X comes out in just a few short weeks. But depending on how he'll use the phone, he might really like the touchless controls.

Feedback Score
    I have used the Blu Studio 5.0SII for a month so far, and really like it.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (iphone 4: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.5.35613/35.3527; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

the nexus 5 is the way to go
    Last edited by prepaidmasterz; 07-24-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Feedback Score
    Well, I ordered a oneplus One. I'll see if he likes it.

via the HoFo App

Have lived in many different cities throughout the US, mostly West Coast, East Coast, and South
    Device(s)
    Huawei Nexus 6P, Nexus 4, Honor 5X; ZTE ZMax Pro; Moto X, E; Galaxy S6; iPhone 6 Plus, 4; Lumia 520
    Carrier(s)
    Haha! Tried them all, you name it, most likely I've tried it
    Feedback Score
    Congratulations on getting your Oneplus One! I wish I had an invite so I could order one too. The specs for the price is amazing. Another great phablet with a large screen and the latest specs for an amazing low price is the Huawei Ascend Mate 2. You get 6.1 inch screen, 3900 mAh battery, LTE, 13mp camera, and microSD slot for expandable storage for $299! Just like with the Oneplus One, I couldn't believe the price when I saw it so here's the link. http://www.gethuawei.com/detail/huaw...-2/HUA-MT2-L03
    Best Value Flagship Phones - OnePlus 3T, Huawei Nexus 6P, ZTE Axon 7
    Best Value Low Cost Phones - ZTE ZMax Pro; Moto E4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flyguyset View Post
    Congratulations on getting your Oneplus One! I wish I had an invite so I could order one too. The specs for the price is amazing. Another great phablet with a large screen and the latest specs for an amazing low price is the Huawei Ascend Mate 2. You get 6.1 inch screen, 3900 mAh battery, LTE, 13mp camera, and microSD slot for expandable storage for $299! Just like with the Oneplus One, I couldn't believe the price when I saw it so here's the link. http://www.gethuawei.com/detail/huaw...-2/HUA-MT2-L03
    If he doesn't like the Oneplus, I'll keep it. If he wants, bigger I'll get him the HAM2. If he wants smaller, maybe something from Google.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    The Oneplus did come in, but my husband is out of town. I'm using it right now. It's my limit for bigness. I can't one hand it for texting or browsing.

via the HoFo App
    Last edited by dansamy; 08-01-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Device(s)
    Honor Play 6GB 128GB version, Xiaomi mi A1, testing Meiigoo S8.
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin, HOT mobile Israel.
    Feedback Score
    Seen as you are in the us how much did it end up being after taxes and customs if any, and the 16GB or 64Gb?
    Phones using: Honor Play 6GB 128GB,wife using LG G7 One, son using iPhone XR,daughter using iPhone XR, Youngest son using Xiaomi Redmi 5.

Feedback Score
    64gb. $363.34(?) All in. Their packaging leaves a lot to be desired. It comes in a nice retail packaging. That they just throw into a big bubble envelope. Seriously, no shipping carton for a $400 product. Are they forking serious?!? And the first USA shipments were shipped without signature delivery confirmation. If your package got lost, stolen or misdirected, customer (dis)service is telling people to take it up with the shipper! Um, no. YOU hired them, not me. Your job as a retailer is to make sure I get my order. Insurance is for the seller, not the buyer. They're only insuring them for $100 though... They've smartened up a little bit since then though. They do ship with signature delivery now. Still only $100 insurance though.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    I should say that I really like the phone. It's very nice. I have a faint hint of the yellow band that stresses everyone out, and it's easily covered by the on-screen nav buttons.

via the HoFo App

Have lived in many different cities throughout the US, mostly West Coast, East Coast, and South
    Device(s)
    Huawei Nexus 6P, Nexus 4, Honor 5X; ZTE ZMax Pro; Moto X, E; Galaxy S6; iPhone 6 Plus, 4; Lumia 520
    Carrier(s)
    Haha! Tried them all, you name it, most likely I've tried it
    Feedback Score
    How did you get the invite to buy the OnePlus One?

Sent from my Maaaarvelous Moto X, but I'm lusting for the amazing big screen value wonders of the OnePlus One and Huawei Ascend Mate 2! ;-)

Feedback Score
    I hounded the Oneplus forums until someone decided I'd made a pest enough of myself to take pity & offer me one.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    I've been forgetting to stare at their twitter feed to try jumping on an invite, lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast