Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: can I get the 5gb data only plan on non-tablet device?

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by canadave View Post
    Hi Moxy

My wife did try phoning them to do just that, and they said they weren't able to. Which really surprised me.
    Try twitter. I'm suprised they can't do it.
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That is very weird indeed. I had the SMS block applied a couple of weeks ago when I was constantly receiving spam text messages. http://puu.sh/lu08N.png

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousAnon View Post
    That is very weird indeed. I had the SMS block applied a couple of weeks ago when I was constantly receiving spam text messages. http://puu.sh/lu08N.png
    That's Bell though, not Virgin Mobile.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Ah sorry! I thought this was the Bell forum. Sorry for the misinformation.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by fruvous View Post
    Try twitter. I'm suprised they can't do it.
    Just tried tweeting them about it. VMC's answer was an unequivocal No.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Those of you writing and getting up to 5GB for $35/mo, was the $35/mo a special offer? I've been watching the data only plan and currently the tiers are $5 for 10 MB, $20/1GB then jump to $40/5GB. I'm also entirely on voip.ms for the house phone and SMS. Works great. Looking for a cell plan for my teenager and 5GB data should be sufficient with a voip.ms number for $0.85/month.

I'll keep on the lookout for a holiday special on the data plan.

thanks,

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7, Galaxy S4, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (Data-Only)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I've been on the Fido data-only plan for the last year now, but mine is still grandfathered at $35 for 5 GB. like you, I use VoIP.ms for my telephone and SMS needs, but in addition, I also use it for my home phones using an ATA. That means my home and cell phone have the same phone number, and receive all incoming calls simultaneously. I've been mentioning this approach to just about everyone, but I do realize that you have to be a little bit of a geek to make it work for you.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hi Steve, hey I'm using your voip.ms console, it is great program. Nicely laid out, great features. It's super handy, things like being able to change forwards on the fly. Like you I give out just one phone number and that number rings house, home office, cell phone, tablet, and anything else that is on, all at the same time, even temporary cell numbers when in the USA. I have ATAs, SIP clients, IP desk phones, and ATA's on wifi bridges. Even in places with no cell service I either get calls or voicemail by email and still do SMS. For SMS I can switch between phone, tablet, and PC to carry on the same SMS conversation. Anyways I digress, I'll keep an eye out for any Virgin tablet plan special for the son that is lower than the $40 for 5 GB current pricing.

I'm on Virgin for my own phone.The thing I noticed is my daily data consumption with Virgin is showing at 1/10 the consumption as when I had a Telus sim card in the same phone, with the same apps. The son might be able to survive on 1 GB and not need 5 GB.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Looks like perhaps a flexible solution to investigate now that ring to is going to be charging

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7, Galaxy S4, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (Data-Only)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    A tenfold difference in data usage without any reason sounds pretty close to a conspiracy theory. Did you look to see which particular apps were consuming your data while you were on Telus, as this might have pointed to where your data usage was going? Throughout the many years that I have been using data on a smartphone, I have never used more than expected. I've always checked to see which of my apps have been the ones consuming the data each month. You'd be surprised how much doing simple speed tests drains your data. If you were prone to doing a lot of speed testing while on Telus, that might have been the reason for your large data consumption. A single speed test can use between 25 and 35 MB. so do just 10 of those tests and you would've consumed between 250 and 350 MB.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3