Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Sprint becoming "The Disruptor"

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirt View Post

This was a great post, right on the mark.

So lets push them to transparency in all things. Let's say, $20 if you want unlimited T/T, plus $20 if you want unlimited data, and plus $20 if you want roaming coverage. Hey, wait. That's $60.

Remarkable.
    I think the SIMPLEST thing they could do to come out and be compelling is to simply re-offer the SERO plans... The original one for basic phones at $30 and the Premium for everyone else at $50... And offer them to everyone. Problem solved.

It's as if at one point Sprint realized a price point where many people would jump on their service, even with hoops... Then they dropped it when it got too popular.

It's proven to work to bring in subs even when sprints network was at its worst - - so bring it back without any restrictions.

THAT would be disruptive... They could even market it as 'you used to only get this if you knew someone on the inside... Well we decided to just give it to everyone!' in a similar way that John Legere would do if he had anything like that to release... Or offer it the way Ford did their 'employee discounts for everyone' offer a few years back...

N

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    I think the SIMPLEST thing they could do to come out and be compelling is to simply re-offer the SERO plans... The original one for basic phones at $30 and the Premium for everyone else at $50... And offer them to everyone. Problem solved.

It's as if at one point Sprint realized a price point where many people would jump on their service, even with hoops... Then they dropped it when it got too popular.

It's proven to work to bring in subs even when sprints network was at its worst - - so bring it back without any restrictions.

THAT would be disruptive... They could even market it as 'you used to only get this if you knew someone on the inside... Well we decided to just give it to everyone!' in a similar way that John Legere would do if he had anything like that to release... Or offer it the way Ford did their 'employee discounts for everyone' offer a few years back...

N
    I like it! Call Marcelo and tell him to can all the faux marketing genius he is paying the big-bucks for - you can be the idea man on a ala carte basis .
    I don't feel like a thread-killer...

Feedback Score
    For the price I'm paying ($45), and the service I'm getting (unlimited T/T and LTE) - I can't come close to matching it anywhere else. I am lucky that Indy is pretty well covered with LTE and I have a tower 1/4 mile from my backyard. If I get out in the sticks, there's always Roam Control and Verizon coverage.

I get plenty fast data for everything, including streaming.
    Indy is well covered. They've got both 1900MHz and 800MHz LTE ready. For 25 I don't complain. But I truly understand other people's frustration.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Sprint: iPhone 45-32
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    I think the SIMPLEST thing they could do to come out and be compelling is to simply re-offer the SERO plans...
    OMG.. Wasn't there a time when you thought us SERO guys were just low-life scammers dragging Sprint down? :P

IMO, what Sprint (and others) need to get next to, is that there are a lot of us that barely need talk and text at all. Just data.

I have always felt that carriers were greedy for making us pay for so much useless talk and text for the "privilege" of having a good data plan. These days, with VOIP and PM, you can pretty much do all your talking and texting via data anyway...

Moreover, since about $20 of my SERO plan is related to the handset subsidy, why not offer a $30 SERO plan with BYOD. There are a lot of good used Sprint smartphones out there, for less than $100, that when paired with a $30 SERO plan, would help save the planet by not being landfilled...
    Last edited by johncase3; 08-23-2014 at 09:00 PM.
    iPhone 7 Plus - Sprint SERO
    iPhone 6 Plus - Altice (testing)

Feedback Score
    You mean like this, right? And Sprint has made money off of me every gaddam month for 7 years. I don't rape them on data as 98% of users wouldn't :

SERO Premium 500
    Monthly charge for service plan
    $40.00
    Plan Includes
    SERO Premium
    $40.00 Minimum Monthly Charge
    500 Anytime Minutes
    Nationwide Long Distance Included
    America - Roaming Included
    Unlimited Any Mobile, Anytime
    Unlimited SMS Text Messaging
    Unlimited Picture Mail
    Unltd Nationwide Direct Connect
    Unlimited Group Connect
    Unlimited Data Usage (See Terms)
    GPS Navigation
    Caller ID
    Call Waiting
    Three-Way Calling
    Voicemail
    Plan add-ons
    Unlimited Messaging
    $0.00
    Picture Mail
    $0.00
    Premium Data (required for this device)
    $10.00
    Unlimited Nights&Weekends-7pm
    $0.00
    Data Usage
    $0.00

Ooh and most importantly, a subbed handset every 2 years. Anything less is unacceptable.
    Last edited by ProzacBoy; 08-23-2014 at 09:24 PM. Reason: It's better

Feedback Score
    I have been thinking about some of the smaller, less 'sexy' issues that might be holding back the perception of Sprint as a 'disruptor'.

Billing issues, proration: Sprint really need to just make this work in a simple consistent way. A simple plan change, upgrade, addition of a line, etc should not lead to a doubled bill.

Activation/upgrade fees: IIRC Sprint is the only company that charges an activation/upgrade fee when financing a device. When we are talking about a plan that is only $100 + device subsidies it really looks absurd to charge $36 (1/3 of the entire monthly bill) for the privilege of committing to pay for a device for 2 years.

ASL Fee: $8 per month if Sprint decides your credit is insufficient and you choose not to enable automatic payment (which many people are afraid to do based on billing issues/proration etc)

These are things that consistently come up when you talk to current and former Sprint customers. New plans and playing to win are all well and good, but that isn't always the thing that customers care about and remember. People arnt stupid, those who have been burned before will look at these new prices and immediately think "well, it will be double that once the bill come, thats how they always are"

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johncase3 View Post
    OMG.. Wasn't there a time when you thought us SERO guys were just low-life scammers dragging Sprint down? :P
    I don't remember - - maybe a long time ago when there wasn't anything even remotely close and it seemed so out of touch with the market and the way they pulled it back so quickly that it seemed like someone made a huge mistake that was costing them money. Hell I have had SERO Premium for years.

That said, over the last few years a number of other plans have popped up that have made me think it was more of a case of Sprint not wanting to cheapen their brand, and nothing more. If Straight Talk can offer a $45 unlimited plan (and if you buy it on an annual basis it's $41) all while having to lease minutes and data from other providers and Cricket (fully owned by AT&T) can get you down to $45 with auto - - AND include the taxes and fees (around $14 per month) but with no phone subsidy it leaves no doubt in my mind that Sprint can afford our SERO Premium w/ data plans for $50, not including those taxes but including a phone subsidy.

Really at this point the phone subsidy, having more flexible post paid billing and access to postpaid roaming options are the ONLY benefits to SERO these days - - if Sprint yanked it from me tomorrow I'd walk right over to AT&T-based Straight Talk, buy it by the year for $499 and buy my own flagship AT&T or unlocked phone on Ebay after making a good chunk back from selling my Sprint phones. The benefits of no taxes and just making a $499 pop for my phone bill every year would easily make up for whatever I lose from SERO--and they do offer AT&Ts roaming partners...

Really the only things that would suck is the uncertainty of data throttling - - which supposedly only happens after you hit 2 gigs, which I usually comfortably stay under, and probably the biggest gripe - - having to do some sort of travel SIM thing for international roaming a few times a year wouldn't be the end of the world...

So at this point I say Sprint should just bring SERO out of retirement... Over the years their brand perception has slipped to the point that they aren't going to gain much unless they stoop to this level... They could come out with 'prepaid prices without the prepaid headaches' and it might actually help things!

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    3 lines on Sprint, 1 line on Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
    I have been thinking about some of the smaller, less 'sexy' issues that might be holding back the perception of Sprint as a 'disruptor'.

Billing issues, proration: Sprint really need to just make this work in a simple consistent way. A simple plan change, upgrade, addition of a line, etc should not lead to a doubled bill.

Activation/upgrade fees: IIRC Sprint is the only company that charges an activation/upgrade fee when financing a device. When we are talking about a plan that is only $100 + device subsidies it really looks absurd to charge $36 (1/3 of the entire monthly bill) for the privilege of committing to pay for a device for 2 years.

ASL Fee: $8 per month if Sprint decides your credit is insufficient and you choose not to enable automatic payment (which many people are afraid to do based on billing issues/proration etc)

These are things that consistently come up when you talk to current and former Sprint customers. New plans and playing to win are all well and good, but that isn't always the thing that customers care about and remember. People arnt stupid, those who have been burned before will look at these new prices and immediately think "well, it will be double that once the bill come, thats how they always are"
    You are right on point!

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Agreed on all of these points... What's worse is that as a long time Sprint customer, I've seen them jack these fees up over the years...

ASL is now 8 bucks - - it used to be something Sprint used to get subs and was free. I was 17 when I joined Sprint in 2001 (was an emancipated minor) - - I had Qwest for a few years via my parents account, and one of the issues aside from the main one that I was roaming on Sprint at a new job (and paying per minute) was that they refused to put me on my own plan off my parents til I was 18--Sprint gave me a $150 ASL for the first year with no deposit (but 3 bucks to talk to a real person when I needed CS) --AT&T wanted a grand, Verizon and Nextel 2 grand--my point is that Sprint got a reliable customer for over 13 years from being flexible (and they kept me when I threatened to walk when SERO came out 'for new customers only'--also being flexible) - - these days, if I was in the same spot there are TONS of options, and if I was told I'd have an $8 fee with no promise of an exact time it'd be gone, I wouldn't give it a second look (in 13 years it went from free to $4.99 to its current 8)

As for the upgrade fees, I remember it was $25 to activate in 2001... But then I never remember paying any sort of fees for a number of years until it was $18 somewhere around, 2009... Now it's 36? The only reason I don't gripe is because I do have my SERO plan which is the only thing in it's class which has subsidized phones... If I was paying full price? I'd be livid... But my point is they it's a fee that's slowly went up.

Sprint has ALWAYS had advanced billing... The only carriers that I know of who don't are T-Mobile and USCC (USCC may have changed with their billing system upgrade... That seemed to tick a LOT of people off)... It's a simple pain point they could fix. I know why they did it--so you can't internationally roam a ton and stick them with the bill. But roaming is reported so quickly (the last time I roamed on a cruise I got all sorts of txts keeping me updated of my use within a couple hours) that it shouldn't be an issue... I think once you hit 150 you have to call in to let them know you want to keep going...

Only other pain point I'd love to see then address (surprised T-Mobile hasn't done this one yet) - - insurance... Include it in the plan, especially if you buy it unsubsidized... Softbank owns Brightstar now... They could handle this themselves... Doesn't Brightstar own Asurion?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Looks like T-Mobile is really having a price war with Sprint.

http://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-qu...print-pricing/

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scubby11 View Post

I think this might be geared more toward Verizon, who is offering Unltd T/T and 2GB for $50 unsubsidized, or $60 with subsidy. The Verizon deal is tough to beat for a single line that needs a phone, but getting a phone for the unsubsidzed would cost more than the $240 you would save.

Sure Sprint has $60 unlimited everything now, but it doesn't include a phone so more like $80 total before tax/fees, which is about where they were before.

Look for Verizon to have a bunch of net adds next quarter, and most of the others will struggle to add any.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10, LG G2, Nokia N9, LG Optimus V
    Feedback Score
    I think this might be geared more toward Verizon, who is offering Unltd T/T and 2GB for $50 unsubsidized, or $60 with subsidy. The Verizon deal is tough to beat for a single line that needs a phone, but getting a phone for the unsubsidzed would cost more than the $240 you would save.

Sure Sprint has $60 unlimited everything now, but it doesn't include a phone so more like $80 total before tax/fees, which is about where they were before.

Look for Verizon to have a bunch of net adds next quarter, and most of the others will struggle to add any.
    I agree. When I first read about this, I couldn't figure out how it was competing against Sprint. However, it competes directly against Verizon's single line plan.

T-Mobile will continue to have solid net adds, remaining in contention with Verizon and AT&T (although they may have another blow-out quarter and surprise everybody). T-Mobile's strongest gains will remain phone subs, while Verizon and AT&T will continue to depend on tablets to lift poor phone net adds/loss. Sprint will remain fairly flat, maybe a little loss, maybe a little gain.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Yeah, I really couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that Verizon deal. For those trying to get a iPhone 6 or Galaxy S5 type of phone, that's an incredible deal. T-Mobile's plan, which normally would be pretty enticing, isn't much of a deal when you consider how much you save cuz Verizon is subsidizing that expensive phone. What's funny is that it even kills Verizon's own Family plan

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johncase3 View Post

IMO, what Sprint (and others) need to get next to, is that there are a lot of us that barely need talk and text at all. Just data.

I have always felt that carriers were greedy for making us pay for so much useless talk and text for the "privilege" of having a good data plan. These days, with VOIP and PM, you can pretty much do all your talking and texting via data anyway...

Moreover, since about $20 of my SERO plan is related to the handset subsidy, why not offer a $30 SERO plan with BYOD. There are a lot of good used Sprint smartphones out there, for less than $100, that when paired with a $30 SERO plan, would help save the planet by not being landfilled...
    Carriers are MEGA greedy - I know hofo was vehement against the Sprint destroyers. 'People cheated to get SERO'. 'People call in and always get and expect a $20 recurring credit for a dropped call'. First off, Sprint allowed this. Secondly, as a consumer looking to get the most... why wouldn't I take advantage of things? People act as if there some larger, moral issue at stake here. Do you think ATT, Tmo, VZW, or Sprint wouldn't run with more of your money if you let them? Honestly?

The people who also got mad at 'absusers' of unlimited. How do you do that anyway? If these companies wanted to give you peace of mind, yet offer it with SOME cap, give something like 100GB to the plan. Effectively unlimited to most, but it's got an eventual cap.

Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scubby11 View Post

Competition is good.

It would be nice to see Sprint offer:

40.00 for 2GB
    50.00 for 5GB
    60.00 for unlimited

They don't have to give away the store this way and would have a plan selection suitable for most consumers.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast