Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the new Verizon single line plan vs Cricket

Feedback Score

What do you think of the new Verizon single line plan vs Cricket

First off, I only need a single line so family plans do not apply to me. I was heading off to my friendly Cricket store to get a Moto G and I saw this new Verizon postpaid single line plan. $60 for unl talk and text and 2GB of data. Its a contract so i can get a high end phone subsidized. I know postpaid is different but that price brings it to a point where they can be compared. Am I crazy for thinking of it? How would you evaluate the benefits of a new high end phone for that price albeit with a 2 year deal. Or am I better taking say the Moto g with Cricket?

Im a heavy texter and use 1.5GB-2GB on average. Thanks for any thoughts.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

What do you think of the new Verizon single line plan vs Cricket

I still think Cricket is a better deal, even if you get a high end phone off contract. Remember the $60 Verizon plan doesn't include taxes and fees, so say ~$67 a month and a $299 subsidized phone. With Cricket you can get 2.5 GB of data for $45, and even if you get a $750 phone you still pay less over 2 years.

Feedback Score
    When I do the math Im not coming up that way....if Im doing it right
    So Verizon Galaxy S4 is free so no phone cost then say $67/mo with tax over 2 years is $1608
    Cricket $100 for Moto G then $45/mo over 2 years is $1180 So $428 saved albeit with a Moto G instead of an S4. Maybe I am making your case for you....... hmmm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barbaro View Post
    So Verizon Galaxy S4 is free so no phone cost then say $67/mo with tax over 2 years is $1608
    Cricket $100 for Moto G then $45/mo over 2 years is $1180 So $428 saved albeit with a Moto G instead of an S4. Maybe I am making your case for you....... hmmm
    You should also look at coverage. AT&T /Cricket vs Verizon.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Let's compare apples to apples. I just found a new unlocked S4 on ebay for $422. So $45 x 24 + $422 = $1502.

Feedback Score
    Coverage is great on any carrier for me as I live in a large city. For some reason I have been trying yo find a better deal than Cricket. I just can't find one, prepaid or postpaid for the data I use. Maybe I just need to stop trying to beat them, and join them Their selection of LTE phones is weak but I believe I can buy another GSM phone and use it there.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Coverage is great on any carrier for me as I live in a large city. For some reason I have been trying yo find a better deal than Cricket. I just can't find one, prepaid or postpaid for the data I use. Maybe I just need to stop trying to beat them, and join them Their selection of LTE phones is weak but I believe I can buy another GSM phone and use it there.
    Yep you can definitely bring your own phone. Also let me know if you need a referral, or check the referral sticky.

Feedback Score
    I dont know what referrals are as they pertain to Cricket. How does it work?

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I dont know what referrals are as they pertain to Cricket. How does it work?
    An existing Cricket customer can send you a referral code BEFORE you order a sim that you redeem after you activate service. Then after 60 days both parties get a $25 credit.

Feedback Score
    Haha, the phone is never free. You pay for that over the course of the two years, they add on the cost to your plan. You'd end up paying more for it than if you bought it outright.

Feedback Score
    Also, given the congestion Verizon's network is coming to be known for, unless you're in a "XLTE" market (in other words, a market where Verizon has greatly increased bandwidth) then your speeds probably won't even be much better than Cricket's capped speeds, with Cricket having the advantage of more 'full-speed' data.

Device(s)
    Dash 3G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    One more thing to consider is the Moto G that Cricket sells is not the LTE version. So your data speeds will be capped at 4Mbps instead of 8. Not sure if this is a big deal to you or not.

I just referred my sister and bro-in-law but had them buy their Moto G's on Amazon. The LTE version (which also comes with an SD card slot btw) is $220 right now.
    Last edited by aaronb532; 08-17-2014 at 06:47 AM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    First off, I only need a single line so family plans do not apply to me. I was heading off to my friendly Cricket store to get a Moto G and I saw this new Verizon postpaid single line plan. $60 for unl talk and text and 2GB of data. Its a contract so i can get a high end phone subsidized. I know postpaid is different but that price brings it to a point where they can be compared. Am I crazy for thinking of it? How would you evaluate the benefits of a new high end phone for that price albeit with a 2 year deal. Or am I better taking say the Moto g with Cricket?

Im a heavy texter and use 1.5GB-2GB on average. Thanks for any thoughts.
    First off I'd say wait to buy that Moto G, next one due out in about 3 weeks. So imo don't get last years model at this years price.

I've been looking at this Verizon plan and the Cricket plan and I'm a bit torn as well. My contract with T-Mo up next month and I'm looking for somewhere to go but that $60 Verizon plan seems a bit hard to beat right now.

Math wise I'd say they are very close...Est $66 for Verizon would be $1584 compared to $1080 for the Cricket plan. Leaving a $504 difference for the phone.

Now you say your average is up to 2GB but does that probably means you sometimes go over 2GB? That could be a deciding factor since the Verizon is fairly expensive for more data, unless you want to cut back on data until next billing cycle. I like the idea of being slowed down rather than just losing it altogether, idk if that matters to you or not.

The Cricket can be a better deal but they are very close. To me I think just being out of contract, giving me freedom, and letting me use Nexus devices are enough to choose Cricket over Verizon.

I am a bit shocked that out of all the prepaid/carrier options that a postpaid Verizon plan is the one that has me torn. Everyone says how expensive Verizon is but they rly just stepped up with this plan in my eyes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny_Duck View Post
    First off I'd say wait to buy that Moto G, next one due out in about 3 weeks. So imo don't get last years model at this years price.

I've been looking at this Verizon plan and the Cricket plan and I'm a bit torn as well. My contract with T-Mo up next month and I'm looking for somewhere to go but that $60 Verizon plan seems a bit hard to beat right now.

Math wise I'd say they are very close...Est $66 for Verizon would be $1584 compared to $1080 for the Cricket plan. Leaving a $504 difference for the phone.

Now you say your average is up to 2GB but does that probably means you sometimes go over 2GB? That could be a deciding factor since the Verizon is fairly expensive for more data, unless you want to cut back on data until next billing cycle. I like the idea of being slowed down rather than just losing it altogether, idk if that matters to you or not.

The Cricket can be a better deal but they are very close. To me I think just being out of contract, giving me freedom, and letting me use Nexus devices are enough to choose Cricket over Verizon.

I am a bit shocked that out of all the prepaid/carrier options that a postpaid Verizon plan is the one that has me torn. Everyone says how expensive Verizon is but they rly just stepped up with this plan in my eyes.
    Why?

@$60/month I'd get the 2.5gb GoPhone plan. No contract+nexus usability= kbye, verizon.

I still prefer Cricket, but there's nothing about Verizon that should have any appeal to the vast majority of people who live in cities or nearish suburbs, especially on a two year contract. Their network is so heavily congested and their speeds are no longer a draw, their prices (this new 'deal' excluded') are hardly competitive, and their phone selection, imo, ranks second to byod GSM carriers.

AT&T is hardly my friend, but I really, really don't like Verizon or find them a good choice for most people

/endrant

Feedback Score
    Well Duck, Im glad Im not the only one who at least thought is was a close comparison. I know 2 year contract is separate, but just in money spent over 2 years I thought it was interesting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast