Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Is sprint heading the wrong direction?

Device(s)
    pixel xl
    Carrier(s)
    google fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gambit57 View Post
    I'm a proud iPhone user. So yes, first and foremost, I choose the iPhone. Now, all 4 major players carry it so I then look at the network second.

Now, I understand your point tho. It's just that we get so used to one network that we forget to compare. If you pop over on the Verizon section, they're whining and moaning about Verizon but forget how good they have compared to Sprint until directly reminded. I forgot to compare Sprint against the others for years too so I didn't realize just how bad Sprint was. Once I did, even if they offered me service for $1, I wouldn't take it. Not on my main line anyways. I do have a barely used line that I could live with Sprint for a $1.

I can TOTALLY understand your point with the iphone, (even moreso, since it's basically on all carriers now)..

back in the 90's when I went searching for my very 1st mobile phone service, I was a total noob, but just weeks before actually searching I saw a elongated stock card flyer on a downtown sidewalk advertising the QUALCOMM thin phone, **it looked a lot like this**

I picked it up, & thought "man I'm getting one of these"..

but I knew nothing of mobile phone service.

the week I actively went searching, I went 1st to ATT on M street off Connecticut ave to look around at the phone selection, then left, they didn't have the targeted thin phone I was looking for..

on that same block further on the west end, was a bell atlantic / Verizon store, who did have the thin phone 860 (800mhz amps & digital cdma) but they wanted me to pay for the phone & pay upfront for a signed contract to walk out the door with the phone, much more than I was willing to part with that moment..

when I left, the next business beside bell atl was a ritz camera on M street & 18th, & guess what they had on display amongst other gadgets - the sprint QUALCOMM 2760 thin phone, which I was able purchase for $127. w/o activating on the spot, the next pay period I was able to activate it with a plan..

**this IS one account where I chose the phone over the mobile phone service**

because I sought the phone 1st, then the service 2nd..

sprint was the only service provider that I was able to acquire the phone in hand 1st (great for someone on a limited budget who couldn't afford both committing to the contract & phone purchase at once) then activating it on the following pay period when most bills cleared..

sprint has been my sole provider since just because of THAT particular thing, it was easy, the network was nice in the dc metro area, & when I traveled out of the region, & I got an introduction to pros of cdma, (& it's cons) ..

what I mainly liked using that phone was the data tethering I did with it, when sprint charged by the minutes, not MBs, I used sprint as my main ISP then tethered to a debian Linux laptop.

the shortcoming with that phone is that the data port was also it's charging port, & it couldn't do both, it was ither data OR charge, tethering lasted two hours a session max, 5 with the extended battery..

ooh, that giant ear piece, calls sounded nice..
    >:-,

“There's no benchmark for how life's "supposed" to happen. There is no ideal world for you to wait around for. The world is always just what it is now, it's up to you how you respond to it.”
    ― Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

Feedback Score
    $60 unlimited would be cheap if they subbed the handset. Like I said in an earlier post Sprint was making money off of me every month with my two SERO $30 plans. They are making money off of me every month now that they are at $50. Verizon's $60 single line is better in every way than these plans. If Sprint didn't want to try they really shouldn't have announced they were going to 'disrupt'. Mods who is the idiot who keeps threadcrapping "I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code"?

Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    They can't give away the farm like everyone would like them to.

60.00 unlimited is cheap, the new family plans are not a bad deal. We do have other choices/offerings that depending on what you need are pretty good as well from other carriers. I'd like to see them tweak Boost and VM a bit.

If I can still hop on a friends 7 member framily plan I might come back but otherwise I'll stay where I am.
    Last edited by ProzacBoy; 09-04-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Better

Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ProzacBoy View Post
    $60 unlimited would be cheap if they subbed the handset.
    Right, you want a 60.00 plan that includes a rougly 18.00 a month phone subsidy. OK.

Verizon's $60 single line is better in every way than these plans.
    How so? How is it better for someone that uses over 3GB of data month to use Verizon?

Sprint just came out with some nice looking plans on Boost Mobile ( 45.00 a month for 5GB, 55.00 a month for 10GB) so I don't think the price wars are over. They've actually just begun.

It should get interesting.
    Last edited by billm261; 09-05-2014 at 01:49 PM.

Feedback Score
    some great points here, honestly, we are so conditioned to just "drop our cash and move along" that we forget and it almost is more of a burden to check, test, and switch carriers... so we just deal... I couldn't believe how night/day it was when I moved one of my lines out of sprint to prepaid how much faster it was...and it's not even "top tier" but it is 450x faster for what I was pulling ..

I think TMO is on the right path (and i hope other carriers start offering it too) with this test drive and they even give you a phone.. that's screams confidence (kind of like progressive) we'll let you check and if you no like..cya..but we're pretty sure you will type of marketing. Sprint would lose their $&^ if every carrier did this (or a majority of it, since there are some that pull great signal)

hell charge 50$ for a loaner and service for 30 days to "test drive" and I think carriers will start having to wise up and make the network perform and no just give lip service.. I for one, would love to see that.. carriers could no longer rest on thier gimmicks and smoke and mirrors.

Device(s)
    pixel xl
    Carrier(s)
    google fi
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ekz13 View Post
    some great points here, honestly, we are so conditioned to just "drop our cash and move along" that we forget and it almost is more of a burden to check, test, and switch carriers... so we just deal... I couldn't believe how night/day it was when I moved one of my lines out of sprint to prepaid how much faster it was...and it's not even "top tier" but it is 450x faster for what I was pulling ..

I think TMO is on the right path (and i hope other carriers start offering it too) with this test drive and they even give you a phone.. that's screams confidence (kind of like progressive) we'll let you check and if you no like..cya..but we're pretty sure you will type of marketing. Sprint would lose their $&^ if every carrier did this (or a majority of it, since there are some that pull great signal)

hell charge 50$ for a loaner and service for 30 days to "test drive" and I think carriers will start having to wise up and make the network perform and no just give lip service.. I for one, would love to see that.. carriers could no longer rest on thier gimmicks and smoke and mirrors.

.....on point ...

Feedback Score
    The Verizon $60 plan includes a subbed handset. Sprint needs to better that. Add $25 (not $18, unless you are talking about the Nexus 5) to the Sprint plan for a flagship phone and it's an $85 plan. Since the average data use on smartphones, according to reuters.com is currently under 2gig per month (1.4gb) the Verizon plan is better in almost every way than the Sprint plan. Sprint had better get their crap together, because with a better plan and much better network Verizon is going to add a ton of subs this quarter and Sprint will continue to flail. If I lost my SERO plans, I'd be on Verizon in a minute. Or maybe Tmo $30 monthly 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    Right, you want a 60.00 plan that includes a rougly 18.00 a month phone subsidy. OK.

How so? How is it better for someone that uses over 3GB of data month to use Verizon?

Sprint just came out with some nice looking plans on Boost Mobile ( 45.00 a month for 5GB, 55.00 a month for 10GB) so I don't think the price wars are over. They've actually just begun.

It should get interesting.

Device(s)
    htc/samsung
    Carrier(s)
    tmobile/sprint
    Feedback Score
    The Verizon $60 plan includes a subbed handset. Sprint needs to better that. Add $25 (not $18, unless you are talking about the Nexus 5) to the Sprint plan for a flagship phone and it's an $85 plan. Since the average data use on smartphones, according to reuters.com is currently under 2gig per month (1.4gb) the Verizon plan is better in almost every way than the Sprint plan. Sprint had better get their crap together, because with a better plan and much better network Verizon is going to add a ton of subs this quarter and Sprint will continue to flail. If I lost my SERO plans, I'd be on Verizon in a minute. Or maybe Tmo $30 monthly 4G.

What other plans do Verizon offer that's comparable???

I do agree sprint needs to do more.
    But do you guys even know their pricing???

A $60 unlimited plan vs 2gb plan are not apples to apples
    Neither is vzw network vs sprint.. Or Tmo for that matter.
    Sprint offers a 2gb plan for $50 w/easypay or outright purchase/byod
    They offer a 2gb plan WITH a phone for $65 these plans include the hotspot use, does Verizon give u that option for $5 more?? The pricing isn't as insane as some people think.

They offer a 4gb for $80 with a phone.. At that price why not go unlimited unless you want to use the included hotspot??

I do agree from a customers view really would like to see cheaper prices, however to say these prices aren't good in comparison to what's out there is false.
    To say their network isnt as good yet is definitely true.
    Batman
    Hit me up

Feedback Score
    What other plans do Verizon offer that's comparable???--They need more?

A $60 unlimited plan vs 2gb plan are not apples to apples.---Neither is a subbed handset plan to non subbed plan for most folks. Add $25.
    The pricing isn't as insane as some people think.-- Yes it is.

They offer a 2gb plan WITH a phone for $65-- So $5 more than verizon, on a much worse network?

You're not doing yourself any favors. V's network is 10 times what Sprint's is. If they want to gain subs, they are really going to have to disrupt. On price. Not just claim it. Bring back SERO, bring back SERO, bring back SERO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dnicekid View Post
    What other plans do Verizon offer that's comparable???

I do agree sprint needs to do more.
    But do you guys even know their pricing???

A $60 unlimited plan vs 2gb plan are not apples to apples
    Neither is vzw network vs sprint.. Or Tmo for that matter.
    Sprint offers a 2gb plan for $50 w/easypay or outright purchase/byod
    They offer a 2gb plan WITH a phone for $65 these plans include the hotspot use, does Verizon give u that option for $5 more?? The pricing isn't as insane as some people think.

They offer a 4gb for $80 with a phone.. At that price why not go unlimited unless you want to use the included hotspot??

I do agree from a customers view really would like to see cheaper prices, however to say these prices aren't good in comparison to what's out there is false.
    To say their network isnt as good yet is definitely true.

Device(s)
    htc/samsung
    Carrier(s)
    tmobile/sprint
    Feedback Score
    What other plans do Verizon offer that's comparable???--They need more?

A $60 unlimited plan vs 2gb plan are not apples to apples.---Neither is a subbed handset plan to non subbed plan for most folks. Add $25.
    The pricing isn't as insane as some people think.-- Yes it is.

They offer a 2gb plan WITH a phone for $65-- So $5 more than verizon, on a much worse network?

You're not doing yourself any favors. V's network is 10 times what Sprint's is. If they want to gain subs, they are really going to have to disrupt. On price. Not just claim it. Bring back SERO, bring back SERO, bring back SERO.
    You still don't get the actual pricing do you? 2gb $60 sub vs 2gb with hotspot $65 and sub..again check the actual pricing $80 with 4gb hotspot with sub..

Would sero bring you back??? I am sure u can find someone's framily and do better than the sero plan.

Feedback Score
    Do us all a favor and stop. Just stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dnicekid View Post
    You still don't get the actual pricing do you? 2gb $60 sub vs 2gb with hotspot $65 and sub..again check the actual pricing $80 with 4gb hotspot with sub..

Would sero bring you back??? I am sure u can find someone's framily and do better than the sero plan.

Feedback Score
    Sprint should have a single line $40 Unlimited talk, text, 5gb data plan with free hotspot. No phone subsidy. That's about what the SERO plan would be without the BS "premium data" charge and SERO includes a phone subsidy.

No one is jumping on Sprint with these lame plans right now. You will see subscriber losses over the next 12 months.

Feedback Score
    $60 unlimited everything with subbed handset. $50 unlimited everything BYOD. Simple and better than the other major carriers. That's the only thing that will 'disrupt' at this point. Nobody wants to be on Sprint. Sprint needs to force them to consider it's network.

Quote Originally Posted by trupatriot1 View Post
    Sprint should have a single line $40 Unlimited talk, text, 5gb data plan with free hotspot. No phone subsidy. That's about what the SERO plan would be without the BS "premium data" charge and SERO includes a phone subsidy.

No one is jumping on Sprint with these lame plans right now. You will see subscriber losses over the next 12 months.

Device(s)
    HTC EVO 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yes, the Verizon $60 plan is very attractive. I know some will say "well it isn't unlimited" I know but 2GB, if you don't stream a lot, is plenty. I only used 2.5GB in one month that I used Slingbox a decent amount.

I stick with Sprint because I'm on SERO. If they dropped that, I would probably do the $60 Verizon plan.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yep Jumping ship from Sprint, have been on SERO for many moons. But they must have lost cell towers in the state I use during the summer and now its marginal data roaming. Nice to have unlimited data but it does no good for me.
    Verizon unfortunately has the best coverage but with the current plan now reaching upwards of $130.00 makes no sense to stay on Sprint with dropped calls and roaming.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3