Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can The Aquos save Sprint?

Feedback Score

Can The Aquos save Sprint?

Long time occasional lurker from my personal account (Can't remember the screename) but posting here from the Mu account.

We know Sprint just changed its pricing. But what about The Aquos? If marketed right do you think it can make a dent in the market? It seems as if a lot of people here and Sprint Users are just tired of Sprint altogether, but that phone is really beautiful and very affordable. Could it still be the next big thing?

As a Sprint exclusive, do you think it has a chance to turn everything around for Sprint. If not, what other measures do you think Mr Claure and Son should do?

I wrote a piece about all of this for those interested in stuff like this, you can google "musmooth medium" and pick the article "Revolutionary New Sound Technology Allowing For All-Screen Object To Actually Exist".
    Last edited by MuSmooth; 08-23-2014 at 09:03 PM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm sure it'll help a little, but the one thing that will really help Sprint is a better network. It doesn't need to have the best coverage or the fastest speeds, but it needs to be solid, reliable, and stop placing last place in all studies/comparisons.

Search for Sprint mentions on social media (for example, on Twitter) and most complaints are about lack of LTE or slow LTE speeds.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10, LG G2, Nokia N9, LG Optimus V
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MuSmooth View Post
    Long time occasional lurker from my personal account (Can't remember the screename) but posting here from the Mu account.

We know Sprint just changed its pricing. But what about The Aquos? If marketed right do you think it can make a dent in the market? It seems as if a lot of people here and Sprint Users are just tired of Sprint altogether, but that phone is really beautiful and very affordable. Could it still be the next big thing?

As a Sprint exclusive, do you think it has a chance to turn everything around for Sprint. If not, what other measures do you think Mr Claure and Son should do?

I wrote a piece about all of this for those interested in stuff like this, ask me for the link and I'll pm it to you.
    Will it save Sprint? Definitely not. May it play a small part in beginning to help rebuild Sprint's image? Potentially.
    It won't be the "next big thing". That will need more that just a good looking device.
    As far as the Aquos making a dent, it may create a moderately decent space for itself in Sprint's hardware sales (tops 5%), but won't make a noticeable impact on US phone sales due to the relatively small distribution area of the phone. There may be a few people that will move to Sprint because of the Aquos, but that will be negligible, and probably unnoticeable in the numbers as people go to the carrier first and phone second.

As for what else is needed, the network. They have improved tremendously in the area of LTE deployment, but will need to be on pace or not far behind T-Mobile in finishing the initial build-out covering the whole native footprint. If Sprint can not finish the full native build-out of LTE by the end of Q3 2015, they will continue losing large numbers of subs as T-Mobile is scheduled to finish by the summer of 2015.
    Secondly, and probably more importantly, is the deployment of Spark. They need to get the 2.5/2.6 Ghz spectrum deployed in as many areas as fast as possible as otherwise their LTE network can't compete in 95% of markets (the 5% being where other carriers are spectrum constrained). Up until Sprint has Spark deployed and matching or exceeding T-Mobile and Verizon speeds, it will hurt them. The spectrum is there to dominate urban and exurban areas, they just have to use it ASAP.
    Pricing is secondary to network. As we saw with T-Mobile's introduction of value plans, yeah it got them a little press, but until they began rolling out a solid, fast LTE network, they were not making headway. Once they began roll-out of LTE, and people saw that it was solid and improving/growing rapidly, they had no problem joining when T-Mobile received coverage and marketing for better rates and plans. The Uncarrier has helped for sure, but the network had to be improving with it, otherwise the growth would not have been there.

One of the biggest challenges I see for Sprint is that by the time they have Spark deployed to a suitable point, T-Mobile will have already made headway with deploying MBS spectrum and growing coverage area. Sprint will have to figure out a way to compete against this (RRPP will help, especially if they get USCC on board).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. J View Post
    Will it save Sprint? Definitely not. May it play a small part in beginning to help rebuild Sprint's image? Potentially.
    It won't be the "next big thing". That will need more that just a good looking device.
    As far as the Aquos making a dent, it may create a moderately decent space for itself in Sprint's hardware sales (tops 5%), but won't make a noticeable impact on US phone sales due to the relatively small distribution area of the phone. There may be a few people that will move to Sprint because of the Aquos, but that will be negligible, and probably unnoticeable in the numbers as people go to the carrier first and phone second.

As for what else is needed, the network. They have improved tremendously in the area of LTE deployment, but will need to be on pace or not far behind T-Mobile in finishing the initial build-out covering the whole native footprint. If Sprint can not finish the full native build-out of LTE by the end of Q3 2015, they will continue losing large numbers of subs as T-Mobile is scheduled to finish by the summer of 2015.
    Secondly, and probably more importantly, is the deployment of Spark. They need to get the 2.5/2.6 Ghz spectrum deployed in as many areas as fast as possible as otherwise their LTE network can't compete in 95% of markets (the 5% being where other carriers are spectrum constrained). Up until Sprint has Spark deployed and matching or exceeding T-Mobile and Verizon speeds, it will hurt them. The spectrum is there to dominate urban and exurban areas, they just have to use it ASAP.
    Pricing is secondary to network. As we saw with T-Mobile's introduction of value plans, yeah it got them a little press, but until they began rolling out a solid, fast LTE network, they were not making headway. Once they began roll-out of LTE, and people saw that it was solid and improving/growing rapidly, they had no problem joining when T-Mobile received coverage and marketing for better rates and plans. The Uncarrier has helped for sure, but the network had to be improving with it, otherwise the growth would not have been there.

One of the biggest challenges I see for Sprint is that by the time they have Spark deployed to a suitable point, T-Mobile will have already made headway with deploying MBS spectrum and growing coverage area. Sprint will have to figure out a way to compete against this (RRPP will help, especially if they get USCC on board).
    I'm no longer with Sprint but I might get the Aquos and therefore return to Sprint, which the reason I believe in it more than you do.

What is the average speed you get from Sprint? Tmo gives me about 15mbs/down and 10mbs/up at all time in NY. Is Sprint really that bad nowadays?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    I'm sure it'll help a little, but the one thing that will really help Sprint is a better network. It doesn't need to have the best coverage or the fastest speeds, but it needs to be solid, reliable, and stop placing last place in all studies/comparisons.

Search for Sprint mentions on social media (for example, on Twitter) and most complaints are about lack of LTE or slow LTE speeds.
    Will check on that. Thanks.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10, LG G2, Nokia N9, LG Optimus V
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MuSmooth View Post
    I'm no longer with Sprint but I might get the Aquos and therefore return to Sprint, which the reason I believe in it more than you do.

What is the average speed you get from Sprint? Tmo gives me about 15mbs/down and 10mbs/up at all time in NY. Is Sprint really that bad nowadays?
    You would be one of the few people I mentioned that would switch for the phone but are negligible in the overall numbers.
    I don't have Sprint anymore, but when they first launched LTE in my area ~9 or 10 months ago, I was getting a max of ~5mbps with the average in the 1-3mbps range. This was on their PCS G-Block with an LG G2. The problem is that with their current setup in non-Spark areas, the max theoretical speed is 37.5mpbs, so realistically you are looking at ~20mbps in the very best conditions with the average being ~25% of that (~4-5mbps) depending of how many other people are using the tower.

On T-Mobile I have reached ~45mbps with the average being ~10-25mbps.

Feedback Score
    One nice looking but unproven mid range phone does not a company save. Sprint's issues are network and reputation, not device selection.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I think it's a good start... I've mentioned this before but Sprint made a mark for itself offering cutting edge devices that noone in the US can get their hands on. That used to be what their 'brand perception' was (as well as somehow being able to market a strictly 1900 mhz. regular ol' CDMA network as 'PCS' like it was something totally special and making most people think it was some really cool Asian standard that was the only thing that could run said cool phones - - and since it was so unique you could forgive them for some coverage gaps)

Hopefully this is just the start to them getting exclusives to all kinds of unique and very high end phones the kind that Japan usually gets a year or more before we do... If this is the mid range, I wonder what Sharp's flagship version is like...

If they can get this going, Sprint could carve that marketing angle out again--but they still need to fix the network... It used to be that people put up with the crappy network to get the awesome phones (think pre 2007, Sanyo 5000 Samsung A500 and V1000 etc) but these days with technology more matured, Sprint may once again with the coolest phones in the world, but people will just say 'I really want one of those, but it's on Sprint and the network can't really take advantage of it... I'll just stick with the Samsung S-whatever on the Big 2'

Feedback Score
    Sprint needs to offer more mid level phones. For example, Sprint Prepaid offers the Moto G, however it can't be used on Sprint proper. With Sprint's no credit check option, why not offer cheap devices between $100 and $200. The cheapest postpaid smartphone we have is the Hydro Vibe, which is still $230 (although its around $100 for Boost I believe).

I think that trend could save Sprint. Cheap phones.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Any
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
    One nice looking but unproven mid range phone does not a company save. Sprint's issues are network and reputation, not device selection.
    Very true.

Sprint needs to admit this and actually work on this. Speeds and data caps mean ZERO if there is no signal.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Yes of course the Aquos will save Sprint. This is what users in the US have been waiting for. Not download speeds and ubiquitous coverage - they are clamoring for the Aquos.

I was getting some water at a water cooler last week and everyone was talking about getting the Aquos. At the grocery store checkout again conversations were about the Aquos. There were Sharp blimps flying overhead with scrolling ads for the Aquos.

Sorry for the sarcasm but can the Aquos save Sprint? Seriously?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Yes of course the Aquos will save Sprint. This is what users in the US have been waiting for. Not download speeds and ubiquitous coverage - they are clamoring for the Aquos.

I was getting some water at a water cooler last week and everyone was talking about getting the Aquos. At the grocery store checkout again conversations were about the Aquos. There were Sharp blimps flying overhead with scrolling ads for the Aquos.

Sorry for the sarcasm but can the Aquos save Sprint? Seriously?
    I work at a Sprint store and one of my coworkers was excited for the phone. I then read the hands on impressions from phonescoop.com and that bubble quickly popped for him.

We believe better priced phones will help sprint in the short term.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakezula84 View Post
    I work at a Sprint store and one of my coworkers was excited for the phone. I then read the hands on impressions from phonescoop.com and that bubble quickly popped for him.

We believe better priced phones will help sprint in the short term.

via the HoFo App
    The iPhone 6 includes band 41 radios so they are Spark capable. Think the Aquos is more important than that? Let me know which one sells better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakezula84 View Post
    Sprint needs to offer more mid level phones. For example, Sprint Prepaid offers the Moto G, however it can't be used on Sprint proper. With Sprint's no credit check option, why not offer cheap devices between $100 and $200. The cheapest postpaid smartphone we have is the Hydro Vibe, which is still $230 (although its around $100 for Boost I believe).

I think that trend could save Sprint. Cheap phones.

via the HoFo App
    The Aquos is that mid-level phone you're talking about. Why more of them? I say quality over quantity.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    The iPhone 6 includes band 41 radios so they are Spark capable. Think the Aquos is more important than that? Let me know which one sells better.
    Don't think I ever mentioned it being more important then the iPhone. And I am not saying it is going to sell better.

Its just T-Mobile has a wide range of budget phones you can buy. Where the monthly payments end up being a couple dollars a month. T-Mobile, being a GSM carrier naturally has access to these phones. Sprint, being CDMA has to work to get these. A market exists, but Sprint has to work to get those phones.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast