Thread: Is Global Data $25/100MB enough? 4 days in Canada and only want to use Google Maps?

Feedback Score

Is Global Data $25/100MB enough? 4 days in Canada and only want to use Google Maps?

I will be visiting Canada at the end of September. I will be taking the train from Quebec City to Montreal to Toronto and spending one night in each city. The trains and hotels all have free wifi, so that's how I'll use my smartphone for checking emails and stuff.

However, I do want to be able to use Google Maps while I'm walking around the city visiting toursty places.

I plan to add the Global Data for $25, which givers me a measly 100MB. Each extra 100mb is $25.

Since there are many Canadians on HowardForum, I figured this is the best place to ask.... is 100mb enough for my intended purpose? I will of course turn off all background data and prevent apps from updating. When I'm not using Google Maps on the streets, I will disable mobile data.

Thanks in advance!

Carrier(s)
    Tmobile Post-Pay
    Feedback Score
    I am not a Verizon subscriber but I had a similar situation in Alaska, needed Google maps and went with tomtom maps which worked great, it's in the $25 range if I remember correctly. Might want to consider that to save on data if this is something you plan on doing regularly.

via the HoFo App
    “The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

― George Orwell

Device(s)
    iPhone 5, iPad 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I drove from Seattle to Vancouver and spent 4 days in the Vancouver area in July. I did the 100MB for $25 international data and used it only for gps and the occasional tourist look up, like a good place to eat. I used Apple maps since I researched it and found Apple maps were more data efficient on the iPhone since it used vector maps. I think on android google maps uses vector data also, so it may be as efficient. Anyway, I used only 50MB. I zeroed out my in phone counter and watched that in addition to verizonwireless. The phone counter was right on, but online reporting was delayed so don't go solely by that. I turned off CDMA data, and connected to HSPA+ but not LTE. EVDO no longer exists in western Canada, so I would get 1xRtt if I left CDMA data on, and that is painful.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You should be fine. You can also pre-download the map data while on wifi to use less data too.

Carrier(s)
    FirstNet, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via APCO25
    Feedback Score
    I used about 270 MB of data in three weeks while in Europe using Google maps/navigation, looking up information for tour sites, and the ocassional Facebook post. Sadly navigation won't work with offline maps, and for some reason offline maps quickly get "out of date"- like in the manner of a few days - and Google Maps won't let you view them until the map is updated.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Space Grey 128GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yeah Apple Maps uses practically nothing data wise...always surprised by how little it uses.

Quote Originally Posted by weth View Post
    I drove from Seattle to Vancouver and spent 4 days in the Vancouver area in July. I did the 100MB for $25 international data and used it only for gps and the occasional tourist look up, like a good place to eat. I used Apple maps since I researched it and found Apple maps were more data efficient on the iPhone since it used vector maps. I think on android google maps uses vector data also, so it may be as efficient. Anyway, I used only 50MB. I zeroed out my in phone counter and watched that in addition to verizonwireless. The phone counter was right on, but online reporting was delayed so don't go solely by that. I turned off CDMA data, and connected to HSPA+ but not LTE. EVDO no longer exists in western Canada, so I would get 1xRtt if I left CDMA data on, and that is painful.
    So glad to hear Verizon lets you roam on HSPA+ in Canada....I thought they would force you to use 1xRTT tell the bitter end when Bell/Telus finally eat it up. So no LTE roaming yet or did you just disable it? I'd be perfectly happy with HSPA...just as fast as LTE in many areas/situations and often uses less battery...

Device(s)
    iPhone 5, iPad 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nateo200 View Post
    So no LTE roaming yet or did you just disable it? I'd be perfectly happy with HSPA...just as fast as LTE in many areas/situations and often uses less battery...
    No LTE roaming yet, I could only connect to HSPA. Like you said, when using data for navigation and occasional lookup HSPA is more than adequate. Looking forward though to more reasonable roaming rates in the future, especially to our neighbors. I know I can get a local SIM card, but then I lose my US phone number for travelling and I need that number available.

The nicest thing was that text messages are all included to US, including Verizon US phones in Canada (at least on More Everything Plan). I just had the family use text to keep in touch for coordinating activities to avoid voice rates, which were still ridiculously high.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Edge
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, 3(IRL), O2(D), 中国联通
    Feedback Score
    I was in Europe for 30 days this Summer. I set all my aps to try to minimize data and placed email on manual with minimal downloads. I used Google maps, Yelp, and several other aps. My total data usage was over 500 MB.
    I tried to use WiFi as much as possible, but in some of the hotels, the WiFi was dial-up speed. The data roaming was HSDPA or EDGE or GPRS, not LTE.
    Bugwart

Device(s)
    iPhone 5, iPad 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugwart View Post
    I was in Europe for 30 days this Summer. I set all my aps to try to minimize data and placed email on manual with minimal downloads. I used Google maps, Yelp, and several other aps. My total data usage was over 500 MB.
    I tried to use WiFi as much as possible, but in some of the hotels, the WiFi was dial-up speed. The data roaming was HSDPA or EDGE or GPRS, not LTE.
    Or about 6 days per 100 MB, which was also very close to my experience in Canada. Looking like if you clamp things down, be careful, but use for local navigation and tourist look ups, you can get by on 16.7 MB/day.

Feedback Score
    Use osmand+ that is what I use when I frequently travel from my to Montreal Canada download all the maps before you get into Canada

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    This post is a prime example on why TMO is getting more subs because of their free 128Kb international roaming data and text. 20˘ international roaming calls aren't bad either.
    Consumerist.com | Consumers Union

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Space Grey 128GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weth View Post
    No LTE roaming yet, I could only connect to HSPA. Like you said, when using data for navigation and occasional lookup HSPA is more than adequate. Looking forward though to more reasonable roaming rates in the future, especially to our neighbors. I know I can get a local SIM card, but then I lose my US phone number for travelling and I need that number available.

The nicest thing was that text messages are all included to US, including Verizon US phones in Canada (at least on More Everything Plan). I just had the family use text to keep in touch for coordinating activities to avoid voice rates, which were still ridiculously high.
    US and Canada have a good relationship and Verizon has always had voice plans for Canadian voice roaming and with AT&T announcing LTE roaming I'm hoping this will lower the cost of data roaming for Canada...really its not that expensive to accomidate roamers. I'd be willing to pay a resonable premium. I like AT&T's international roaming options much better...something like $60 for 300MB's and $120 for 800MB's...which yeah its a pretty big price but I can easily set aside that kind of money to be able to use my phone without hassle. And I'm betting it will go down in price in the future...I'm not sure if AT&T international data roaming is at full HSPA+ speeds or if its throttled to 3.1mbps or even 128kbps like T-Mobile...either way it seams like a deal if you can't go the T-Mobile route and don't want to be switching SIM's all the time. (heres the AT&T plan page: http://www.att.com/att/global/afford...packages/?data) Verizon really needs to offer something similar to AT&T here....

Quote Originally Posted by Amiga View Post
    This post is a prime example on why TMO is getting more subs because of their free 128Kb international roaming data and text. 20˘ international roaming calls aren't bad either.
    I couldn't believe it when I first read T-Mobile was doing that but I suppose since T-Mobile has service throughout various European countries they can cut through allot of the BS that other carriers might have to deal with when dealing with a completely unfamiliar company...sure T-Mobile USA is not exactly a perfect extension of the other T-Mobiles but it sure helps. I looked into their free data roaming and while allot of countries are covered some are still not free...still a deal though.

Anyways in Europe roaming is from what I read going to be a very non-issue as allot of carriers are sort of tearing down the walls of expensive roaming deals and providers are offering free roaming more often now....certainly not something I can see happening with US carriers but very very reduced priced roaming between US/CAN is realistic as well as the US with the UK and other countries where we have sort of a special relationship.
    -I use http://www.wirelessadvisor.com/ to find out which providers own which licenses based on ZIP code in the US. Not a direct indicator of service but helps.
    -Radio on the Computer: http://specmap.sequence-omega.net/ an awesome map of the US that shows spectrum holdings of providers in a visual sense. Check it out!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus VZW
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I just recently came back from Niagara Falls in the Canadian side. I was able to pick up LTE along the falls and I made sure roaming was off. Once out of range I would switch roaming on and receiving/sending sms is free.

Device(s)
    Moto X Pure Edition 32GB 2015
    Carrier(s)
    ex Verizon Wireless - Currently: T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Buy a prepaid sim card. If you have newer 4G phone its factory unlocked.

via the HoFo App

Fios 1024/1024