Thread: Thinking of making the switch to Cricket, A few questions

Feedback Score

Thinking of making the switch to Cricket, A few questions

I am currently on pageplus, so I will need to get new phones. I was planning on doing the 5 lines for $110, and then the price dropped further to $100, so yipee for me. My strategy was going to be as follows. Just wondering if it would work.

1. Order 5 phones (probably moto g), put them all on the $40 plan, and get $250 in rebates
    2. Order each one separately so I can get a referral for phones/lines 2-4 (not sure what the referral kickback $ is)
    3. Go for 1 month and then change so all lines are on the same account and bill is $100 instead of the $200 it would be for the first month.

Do I need to do it this way, or can I just order 5 phones and still get the rebates? Eventually 3-4 of the users would be switching to different phones (iPhone 4s or maybe 5). Do I have to wait for the rebates, or can I just pop the SIMs in the new phones? How long does it typically take for the rebates to come? How does porting in a number work? Can I make my order and keep my phones active until the new ones arrive?

I was going to ask some of these questions from the online chat on their website, but it doesn't seem to work for me in Chrome.

Suggestions and comments welcome. Thanks

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    only one referral credit per account, plus you'll have to wait 60 days for referral credit so it's best to just do the group plan
    Your old phone service stays active until you activate the port request once you rec'd the sim or phone.
    you can pop in the sim on other phones but you have to keep the account active for 60 days to get the rebate.
    So if you open five accounts you'll be paying $40 each for three months. (First payment days 1 - 30, 2nd payment day 31 to 60.
    Third payment because referral credit or rebate won't kick in until after 60 days, then finally you start seeing referral credits...that is if you get them. Referrals are hard to come by.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10e, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Referral credit is $25 and you have to get the referral email (takes about a day) before you place your online order or sign up for service in store -- there's a referral thread stickied at the top of the forum if you need one

Referral credit takes 60 days to get and it gets applied to your account for future use so it'll take a few months before you get to use it -- not worth keeping multiple lines open on separate accounts for a few months just for that (once you merge the lines into a single account then accounts 2-5 will be considered closed and the referral credit will not be paid out on those). Keeping separate accounts is only worth it if you have 2 lines since the pricing will be the same with autopay. I would just go for one referral on the main line and keep the rest of the lines on the same account with group pricing

You shouldn't have a problem with the rebate if you use other phones as long as you keep your account active and in good standing

You submit the port request online and then they'll ship out the phone -- you activate the service and complete the port request once you get the phone in the mail. If you're signing up in store then they'll do everything on the spot and the port should be completed within a few hours if you gave your PagePlus account info correctly

Their website doesn't let you place a group order together so it'll be easier to signup for multiple lines in store, but the store might want to charge for activation -- call some local stores in your area and see which one is willing to waive the activation fee

Feedback Score
    You're willing to jump through a lot of hoops to save only a few bucks. It would be more productive to take advantage of the $100 credit they're giving T-Mobile customers. You'd have to port your number to TM then port it to Cricket, but at least you'd get $500 for your effort.

Cricket sim cards are not locked to the device, so you can use it in any future phones you buy. Keep in mind they require 4 months service before they will give you the unlock code for any phones you buy from them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by afblangley View Post
    You're willing to jump through a lot of hoops to save only a few bucks. It would be more productive to take advantage of the $100 credit they're giving T-Mobile customers. You'd have to port your number to TM then port it to Cricket, but at least you'd get $500 for your effort.

Cricket sim cards are not locked to the device, so you can use it in any future phones you buy. Keep in mind they require 4 months service before they will give you the unlock code for any phones you buy from them.
    No T-mo service where I am at otherwise, that sounds like a good plan. It doesn't seem like that many hoops ( or really hard hoops anyway), but from the replies above, it sounds like it is not going to work like I had hoped.

Thanks all for the replies!