Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Traveling to Canada from US? What are my prepaid options?

Carrier(s)
    Chat-r; PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HFNYC View Post
    What's the cheapest way to get few hundred MB of data with unlocked GSM phone during one week of stay in Canada? I'll be using data for browsing, Google map, and Yelp during sightseeing. I'm not sure whether I'll make any calls during my visit.
    You need HSPA for more provider choices. If you only have gsm you can only use Rogers network or it's brands or MVNO that use them.
    No longer on a leash by Fido

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
    You need HSPA for more provider choices. If you only have gsm you can only use Rogers network or it's brands or MVNO that use them.
    If a tourist has an unlocked phone capable of HSPA or LTE, what are some good choices for mobile data in Canada?

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Ball View Post
    If a tourist has an unlocked phone capable of HSPA or LTE, what are some good choices for mobile data in Canada?
    I used Bell prepaid, paygo minutes & text, got 1GB data add-on and used data and Hangouts/Google Voice for everything. Did not use any cell minutes or texts. They have a 500 MB data add-on as well. I bought a SIM on eBay for $1 and activated online for free a few days before leaving. After crossing the border, I swapped SIMs and it worked perfectly.
    Last edited by gweeper; 08-31-2015 at 06:25 AM.

Device(s)
    ATT 8925
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I spent a lot of time on this before travelling but I could not find a good way to do this in advance of arriving in Canada, so I lived without service for the few hours it took to get to my hotel in Quebec City after crossing the VT border. Note convenience stores and gas stations only sold refill cards, no sims.

My hotel sent me to Telus which was down the street. Telus told me they could not sell me a plan with data directly, I'd have to get that online, but sold me the sims I needed for my phones (unlocked ATT iphone 5 and unlocked TMOB Note 3). I went back to the hotel and tried to buy the service online, but the website would not take my US credit card. I spent an hour on the phone with them to finally be told take my sims back and find another carrier. Telus will not accept a card tied to an address outside of Canada.

Then I went to the mall, there were a zillion choices, and I price shopped them and in the end was EXTREMELY happy with my choice of Koodo. For something like $80, I got two sims (these were $10/ea at TELUS, free with Koodo), texting to and from US, a couple hundred minutes of calling and 1GB of data for each phone. Data did seem to go REALLY fast if I was using Pandora, far faster than it seems to be used in the US, so I avoided streaming audio, but apart from that, service was perfect for the week my family spent in QC and Montreal.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I had no problems with Bell using a US credit card. I was concerned about that too. I did a live chat with a support person to check on that before trying to activate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3