Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: International Roaming: T-Mobile vs. local SIM cards.

Feedback Score
    Do yourself a favor and get a Giff Gaff Sim card. My brother got me one and it cost him 15 pounds and it gave me unlimited high speed data and cheap calls to USA.

Carrier(s)
    Wind+T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    AND, finally -
    There is no reason to go thru the hassle of a local or major hassle of "intl." SIM.

We have been n 3 intl trips since TM's intl. roaming took effect (China, Costa Rica, Eastern Europe). Everything worked as smoothly as at home. Emails, texts, voice, and - Google Maps directing us on 8 day drive thru Romania. Wife even could do her Facebook thing.
    On my first trip to Canada after free roaming took effect, the speed issue was enough to convince me to get a Wind SIM. Two birds with one stone- Cheap, fast(er than T-Mo) data in Canada and 1GB (used to be 5GB but oh well) unthrottled AT&T data every month to deal with T-Mobile's own domestic roaming limits.

Same in Asia- with how little the local carriers were charging (and some shopping around- you can get a local data SIM in Japan for around US$30/1GB or you can get a Japan roaming data SIM for US$30/5GB from Hong Kong), the only time I used my T-Mo service was in South Korea, where getting a local SIM is literally impossible if you're not staying there long enough.

I've been described by some people as someone who would probably die without an internet connection, so maybe I'm a bit different from the rest. But if a Canadian provider can offer 1GB/month unthrottled US roaming data and throttle down to 256k afterwards (which I find perfectly OK- if only T-Mobile thought the same) I wonder what keeps the opposite from being true.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    I like the convenience of using my same phone AND number when stepping off a plane overseas as I would getting off at SFO. People can reach me as they always do. I don't have to leave a foreign number on my VM for callers to dial. My primary use of a phone is for a phone - not a computer where I need data. If driving overseas, can use it as my navigation device - like I do at home w. TM's overseas unlimited data option. Can get email as always. Don't need highspeed for any of this.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I'd like to know if anyone has successfully used a VoIP app (e.g. SIP, Viber, Skype, etc) over their cellular data connection while roaming abroad? I would think that some CODECs (e.g. GSM, G.729, etc) might work better than others.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    Wind+T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I just tried making a Google Hangouts call on my T-Mobile SIM in Canada. The other person gave up trying to understand me after about a minute.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I'd like to know if anyone has successfully used a VoIP app (e.g. SIP, Viber, Skype, etc) over their cellular data connection while roaming abroad? I would think that some CODECs (e.g. GSM, G.729, etc) might work better than others.
    I did use Viber as well as FaceTime Audio during my trip to Israel. They all worked surprisingly fine under that very slow connection.

Device(s)
    Tmobile Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I used Vonage app in Mexico, worked better for me then try to use WiFi calling on the overload resorts WiFi network.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto X Pure Edition 32GB 2015
    Carrier(s)
    ex Verizon Wireless - Currently: T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    #3 is the way to go and cheap.

via the HoFo App

Fios 1024/1024

Carrier(s)
    Wind+T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    All right then, seems like Hangouts is to blame for that one.

Carrier(s)
    Tmobile Post-Pay
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yangj08 View Post
    Perhaps something with the time you tried it???? Others have reported that hangouts, skype etc work very well over the throttled connection.
    “The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

― George Orwell

Device(s)
    Tmobile Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yangj08 View Post
    People have a hard understanding me sometimes using Hangouts here in the US over a fast lte connection.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

International Roaming: T-Mobile vs. local SIM cards.

Quote Originally Posted by atomic50 View Post
    For that time period and assumed good amount of usage local SIM sounds best. Three is a good choice for "at home" in France and Ireland. Not sure sure Netherlands off the top of my head.
    http://www.three.co.uk/discover/phones/feel_at_home
    I used that this spring when I went to Ireland and the UK, but I don't think they would be to happy if none of the usage was on their UK network.

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steve16823 View Post
    OP here. Wow, lots of great info generated in this thread.

First trip (to Ireland) complete. I ended up buying a local 3-Mobile SIM card for 20 Euros. Well, the card was technically free and the 20 Euro "top up" gave me free unlimited local calling (to mobile numbers) and texting, and unlimited data. It worked great and I think I still had a $19 balance when I left after two weeks.

Having a local contact number came in handy a few times for making contact with hosts. With my Moto X, I had 4G service throughout most of the trip, and only occasionally driving through rural areas did I lose data service completely. For communication back home I linked the phone with my Google Voice account, so that my family could call or text a USA-based number and it would be forwarded to me. It worked pretty seamlessly.

Headed to France in November. My understanding is that T-Mobile is one of the larger service providers there, so i'm going to try the local SIM thing again.
    I do not believe T-Mobile operates a network with in France. But you can look into Free, they are one of the newest entrants and have a roaming agreement with one of the larger networks, so you get cheap service with a decent amount of data and calls while also having the other operator to fall back onto if you leave their coverage area.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrodpd View Post
    I do not believe T-Mobile operates a network with in France. But you can look into Free, they are one of the newest entrants and have a roaming agreement with one of the larger networks, so you get cheap service with a decent amount of data and calls while also having the other operator to fall back onto if you leave their coverage area.
    There partner wasn't it orange FR once? I Bouge TEL? Its been a while since I was there.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2