Thread: Ptel and Lyca

Carrier(s)
    Ultra/ChitChatMobile/StraightTalk /Harbor/FreedomPop/PagePlus/Lyca/ Uverse 18Mbs data/ Roku/ Moto X
    Feedback Score

Ptel and Lyca

This Lyca PLUS flap has me eyeing Ptel. Of course, the nice thing about Lyca is your paygo balance never expires as long as you have activity at least every 90 days. I know Ptel offers a $100 paygo pin that does expire in a year, but if Ptel would offer a $150 or $200 paygo pin that NEVER expires, I'd come to Ptel in a heartbeat.

Feedback Score
    I use both Lyca and Ptel. From what I understand, the "never expires" deal on lyca only applies to top ups applied before a cut off date which has already passed. Current top ups now do expire in 90 days, The Ptel $100 paygo operates differently. You never lose unused balance even after 365 days, BUT you need to apply additional "access days" by topping up again with any amount. From Ptel's terms of service:
    Unused balance from $10, $20, $30, $40 and $50 carries over for 365 days from date it was originally loaded onto the account. Unused balance from $100 carries over until depleted.

Carrier(s)
    Ultra/ChitChatMobile/StraightTalk /Harbor/FreedomPop/PagePlus/Lyca/ Uverse 18Mbs data/ Roku/ Moto X
    Feedback Score
    Wow, PTel's policy is almost as good as Lyca's old "Never Expires" policy. Samatman, your help has shown me that PTel is very generous and fair to its customers, so they've won another customer :-) Thanks.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Been doing more Ptel perusing. Here are a few quirky but endearing aspects of PTel:
    From their FAQ:
    "Is there a minimum balance required to keep my account active?
    "In order to keep your account active, you must maintain a minimum balance of $.50 on your Real Paygo account or the full balance must be available on the Unlimited everything plans."

So 49 cents won't cut it.

Also from FAQ:
    "If your Real Paygo account is inactive for a consecutive 60 days, the account will be disabled." [Even if you bought the 90-day PIN or 6-month PIN. I wonder why they do that? I mean you already paid for the full number of access days, not just paid for 60 days.]

"When will you cancel my account?
    "PTEL extends a grace period of 30 days to its customers to redeem a new top-up card or PIN to maintain their service. If, after the expiration of your access days you let a period of 30 days or longer lapse without loading another card or PIN, your account will be cancelled [meaning you lose your phone number forever.]
    Last edited by roncomatic; 09-22-2014 at 03:50 PM.

Feedback Score
    "If your Real Paygo account is inactive for a consecutive 60 days, the account will be disabled."
    It's curious that they use the term "disabled" and not "cancelled" since they do say cancelled in the case of 30 day no top up after access days expire. I'm using the $10 paygo plan so I do top up every 60 days. Maybe that's activity enough.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samatman View Post
    It's curious that they use the term "disabled" and not "cancelled" since they do say cancelled in the case of 30 day no top up after access days expire. I'm using the $10 paygo plan so I do top up every 60 days. Maybe that's activity enough.
    I sure hope the 30-day grace period doesn't begin after being disabled for no activity within 60 days (even during a 90-day or 6-month PIN period). If they do start the 30-day grace period after 60 days of inactivity, we'd lose our phone number forever, even if technically we had bought more access days. Sure would like Ptel to clarify that.

I mean say I buy a 6-month pin in January, but have no activity for 60 days in February and March. If they start the 30-day grace period at the end of March after disabling my phone number, I could lose my phone number forever at the end of April--even though my 6-month pin expires in June. ....If that's how it works... It's not clear on the web site.

Stuff like that makes me nervous to port a phone number over. Maybe better porting to Google again, and forwarding calls to Ptel.

What exactly happens when Ptel disables a phone number after 60 days of inactivity? And how do you get the phone number re-enabled? Call into customer service, or buy a new pin?

Feedback Score
    I have never heard of anyone having a Ptel account disabled. Mention of disabling after any period of inactivity is not present in the terms of service. I would guess a quick call to their customer service would clarify this - they have (or had last time I called) very good customer service - short hold time, easy to understand reps.

If they do in fact disable due to inactivity, you can always set a reminder to send a text every 59 days. That's what we had to do on Lyca previously (but every 3 months). And, if you decide to use GV again, you might want to also look at http://ring.to which is another free forwarding service. I don't know how lag and latency compare between the two, maybe someone else who has tried both can answer that.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    And, if you decide to use Google Voice again, you might want to also look at http://ring.to which is another free forwarding service. I don't know how lag and latency compare between the two, maybe someone else who has tried both can answer that.
    Samatman, thanks, I hadn't heard of ring.to. Have you had problems with lag when using Google Voice to forward a main number to a cell number?

Feedback Score
    I used to use google voice connected to an Obihai 100. I never had issues with lag on that setup. I stopped using google when they announced they were discontinuing support for the protocols needed on the Obi. Google now offers support again, but I'm happy with the provider I switched to and see no reason to go back to google.

Device(s)
    W755
    Carrier(s)
    PPC
    Feedback Score
    I use both Lyca and Ptel. From what I understand, the "never expires" deal on lyca only applies to top ups applied before a cut off date which has already passed. Current top ups now do expire in 90 days, The Ptel $100 paygo operates differently. You never lose unused balance even after 365 days, BUT you need to apply additional "access days" by topping up again with any amount. From Ptel's terms of service:
    Unused balance from $10, $20, $30, $40 and $50 carries over for 365 days from date it was originally loaded onto the account. Unused balance from $100 carries over until depleted.
    If my last top up was in may of 2014, when is the latest I can top up to keep my service? I read this was instituted on aug 5, so I'm guessing before nov 5? This is in regards to lyca.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cnjbarman View Post
    If my last top up was in may of 2014, when is the latest I can top up to keep my service? I read this was instituted on aug 5, so I'm guessing before nov 5? This is in regards to lyca.
    They say top ups before the date they announced the change will not expire. To be seen.

Feedback Score
    I used to use google voice connected to an Obihai 100. I never had issues with lag on that setup. I stopped using google when they announced they were discontinuing support for the protocols needed on the Obi. Google now offers support again, but I'm happy with the provider I switched to and see no reason to go back to google.
    Whom are you with now?

Feedback Score
    I've been with Ptel for a little under 1 year. I purchased a $100 top-up that's about to expire. I'll be staying with Ptel. Their customer support is refreshingly good. A recent example. I bought a Moto X a few weeks ago. It requires a nano SIM, so I bought a new nano SIM online and received it today. Ptel's phone support is open until 9pm weeknights. I called at 7:30pm and had my account transferred to the new SIM in about 20 minutes. Most of the time was him waiting for me to pull the old SIM out of my old phone.