Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Could a GSM iPhone 6 be used with VZW VoLTE?

Feedback Score

Could a GSM iPhone 6 be used with VZW VoLTE?

and skip CDMA completely?

I just want to get the hell away from CDMA (I accept not having coverage in certain spots)

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I assume it could,but Verizon won't let it no matter what.. maybe in the future? 100 years lol

Fios 1024/1024

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    As of right now, no. The phone is not registered onto their network so they will not let you use it.
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    No it won't. Different LTE bands.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Actually strangely enough you can. As long as your verizon SIM is already active. Verizon won't activate a new line using non Verizon variant. CDMA also works.

This is a huge step from last year where this wasn't possible on GSM iPhone 5s/c. Goes to show that Apple truly has one variant this time around.
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    Actually strangely enough you can. As long as your verizon SIM is already active. Verizon won't activate a new line using non Verizon variant. CDMA also works.

This is a huge step from last year where this wasn't possible on GSM iPhone 5s/c. Goes to show that Apple truly has one variant this time around.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you're saying that if he has a GSM iPhone 6 he could use Verizon LTE and VoLTE because the device technically does have the radios but at the same time your qualifier is that they have an active Verizon SIM. Yes, I agree in that case you would be able to do what OP is asking.

But I don't believe it will work if he doesn't have a Verizon SIM as any other SIM would not be able to access Verizon bands.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ushneb View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you're saying that if he has a GSM iPhone 6 he could use Verizon LTE and VoLTE because the device technically does have the radios but at the same time your qualifier is that they have an active Verizon SIM. Yes, I agree in that case you would be able to do what OP is asking.

But I don't believe it will work if he doesn't have a Verizon SIM as any other SIM would not be able to access Verizon bands.
    Both Verizon iPhone 6 and GSM Unlocked variants have the same exact hardware, main difference being Verizon variants are cleared in Verizon's MEID whitelist so they could be "activated". However, if you already own an active Verizon SIM, when inserted in GSM Unlocked variant, the phone fully acts like a Verizon's variant. Full support for all Verizon LTE and CDMA bands, VoLTE, visual voice mail, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ushneb View Post

actually, I do. I have an unlocked 5S that was purchased off contract with a working SIM, w/UDP.

Feedback Score
    Both Verizon iPhone 6 and GSM Unlocked variants have the same exact hardware, main difference being Verizon variants are cleared in Verizon's MEID whitelist so they could be "activated". However, if you already own an active Verizon SIM, when inserted in GSM Unlocked variant, the phone fully acts like a Verizon's variant. Full support for all Verizon LTE and CDMA bands, VoLTE, visual voice mail, etc.
    My God, if this is true - the day has finally come.

We have 'The One'

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by karpodiem View Post
    My God, if this is true - the day has finally come.

We have 'The One'
    Indeed. This is for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus ONLY.

Carrier(s)
    Vzw
    Feedback Score
    I think the point is there's no such thing as a "GSM iPhone."

Feedback Score

To further expand on this, here's a video from gottabemobile showing a T-Mobile version of the iPhone 6 being able to use an active Verizon SIM card.

Feedback Score
    Will Verizon activate a sim without a Phone? E.g. I take my unlocked iPhone 6 to Verizon and ask for a sim and no phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    wolfs, if you have a Verizon phone and a Verizon account in good standing, a Verizon corporate store will give you a SIM card at no cost. If you don't have a Verizon account, they will give you the opportunity to open a new account.

But if you are asking about taking a non-Verizon phone to Verizon and activating it, the answer is "no".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by motorcycle mama View Post
    wolfs, if you have a Verizon phone and a Verizon account in good standing, a Verizon corporate store will give you a SIM card at no cost. If you don't have a Verizon account, they will give you the opportunity to open a new account.

But if you are asking about taking a non-Verizon phone to Verizon and activating it, the answer is "no".
    Still don't fully understand.

If have unlocked Phone (iPhone 6) on another carrier. I have no Verizon account. Can I not go to corporate store pay for sim, create account and plug that into the iPhone?

If the above doesn't work. Could I take some crappy old Verizon phone activate the sim on it and than put it in my iPhone 6?

In the video posted above the fellow puts a Verizon sim into the iPhone 6 and it works just fine. What is the difference here?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast