Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TRIO AXS 4g tablet from Walmart for T-Mobile.......and AT&T!

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

TRIO AXS 4g tablet from Walmart for T-Mobile.......and AT&T!

Folks,

I was looking around the other day for a tablet larger than 7" with bluetooth. I came across several "no-name" brands with various prices. One that caught my attention was a T-mobile 8" tablet with 4g offered only at Walmart. It was normally $179 but is currently $149. It also has 200 mb of data free each month and you can send text messages with it.

I purchased one last week and activated the sim card that came with it. It works well, but I don't have good T-mobile coverage where I live. I have AT&T for my phones and tried the sim card in the tablet. It found the AT&T network, but data didn't work. >>>>>>What that means is the tablet is UNLOCKED<<<<<<<<

I stopped in to the AT&T store and asked them if they had a sim card I could try to see if data worked before adding it to my Mobile Share Value plan. The tech fooled around for about an hour trying to get data to work. I called Apollo (who makes the tablet) and asked what frequencies the tablet supported. The lady on the the phone had no idea what I was talking about. Anyhow, after changing the APN to AT&T broadband, the tablet works on AT&T and gets a 4g signal!!!!!

Since the AT&T sim is for data only for a tablet, the texting feature doesn't work.

If you have good/great T-mobile coverage, then sticking with T-mobile would be best for this tablet as texting works and you get 200mb/month free, or you can sign up for a 3.5G plan for $35 or 5G plan for 50 (per month).

Eric

Feedback Score
    That sounds like an interesting tablet.

You could text from Google Voice.
    I don't have the Google Voice app on any of my devises but I do have my Google Voice account bookmarked on all of them so I have easy access to my Google Voice.
    I can send and receive texts from my laptop, my BlackBerry PlayBook tablet and all of my phones that use WiFi including all of my Windows Phones.
    You can add a bookmark for Google Voice and create a shortcut. I don't know if you can use the Google Voice app on your tablet but you should be able to use a bookmark or shortcut without any problems.
    Sent from my Lumia 710 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Device(s)
    Android, Windows
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have the trio tablet and I'm using a cricket Sim card in it. Works great

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    Since the AT&T sim is for data only for a tablet, the texting feature doesn't work.
    Based on my experience, the DataConnect plans do not have texting disabled, and sms will work if the tablet has texting capability. I was quite surprised when I was billed at a rate of 25 cents/msg!

Feedback Score
    I've been looking for a 4G tablet with a screen larger than 7". I'll be curious how your user experience goes over the next few weeks. Looking at reviews on newegg for the Mach Speed Trio Stealth Pro 9.7C - I wonder if this new tablet has better build quality.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Samatman,

So far so good with the Trio AXS tablet. I used it quite a bit the other day on AT&T 4g. Everything worked fine.

I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right tablet you have listed above, but it looks like a lower quality tablet than the TRIO AXS: smaller battery, lower resolution screen, and wifi only?

I'll post an update in a week or two.

Eric

Eric

Feedback Score
    FYI, FreedomPop just started offering budget tablets, $75 for the wifi model and an LTE model expected to be $99. Not only is there no contract, they have a free plan with 200 minutes of talk (VoIP) + 500 MB of data +500 texts. Its done through their proprietary app, which looks a lot like GrooveIP. The setup probably doesn't work well enough to serve as a primary phone, but its good for secondary or tertiary use. For example, I have a tablet that functions solely as the infotainment center in my car.

As an alternative to cheap, no name tablets, consider previous generation models of well known high quality tablets. There are lots of new Samsung Tab 3 and 2013 Nexus available. Might also consider tablets that the US carriers didn't choose to import, like the Asus Fonepad, HP Slate VoiceTab, Acer Iconia Tab.

Feedback Score
    @ Eric Thanks very much, I'll be looking forward to your update.

@ afblangley That's pretty cool Freedompop is doing tablets now. I have their HTC Evo 4G phone. On the Acer Iconia 8, I didn't know that had a SIM slot. I'll have to see if there are any international version on Ebay.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (iphone 4: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.6.35843/35.4851; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

never mind
    Last edited by prepaidmasterz; 10-03-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

I'm going to follow up with my original post since I've owned the tablet for about 2 weeks now.

As I mentioned in my first, post I added this tablet to my AT&T mobile share value plan. It's unlocked and works fine with AT&T. I don't have access to internet at work, so I use the tablet when I want to look up something. Battery life is good. I don't stream movies or pandora but will use the tablet for a good part of the day on cellular internet. I've installed firefox and several other apps. No issues with them working. I haven't drained the battery in a days use. The lowest it's gotten was to 20%. At the end of the day I plug it in and charge it overnight.

I did root the tablet to remove the camera shutter sound. At the bottom of the tablet there are five "touch" buttons. Going from left to right: the first button hides the button bar; the next is the back/return button; center is the home button; next is the "apps open" button; and far right is a screen shot capture button. One thing happened after I rooted it and removed the shutter sound was the tablet went into demo mode. When in demo mode you can't access the settings. I searched google and found the demo mode password and disabled the demo mode. The admin password is: Admn1nTr10! (that is the number 1 in place of the "i" in Admin; and that is the number 10 after "Tr" followed by an exclamation point).

I picked up an i-Unik cover from Amazon for $15 as I don't like leaving devices unprotected. I also picked up a zagg screen protector for a 10" tablet and cut a screen protector for the Trio AXS from it. The case has a sim slot so I have the T-mobile "free 200gb/month" sim in that slot in case I don't have an AT&T signal.

Overall I really like the tablet and the fact that I can use it anywhere as long as I have a cellular or wifi signal. I'd say it's worth the $149 I paid for it at walmart.

Eric

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a very capable tablet! I'm surprised you rooted it already... awesome! How did you figure the admin password was "adm1nTr10"?

Also, you're saying the i-Unik case has a SIM card slot. I tried to find it but couldn't. Can you post an amazon URL for that i-Unik case that has a secondary SIM slot?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    samatman,

I rooted the tablet to remove the shutter sound. Sometimes I would accidentally hit the screen capture button when navigating the screen. The admin password is adm1nTr10! (there is an exclamation point at the end). I searched google for the password and found a link. I'm pretty sure I could have called customer service as it is pretty easy to put the tablet in demo mode by accident.

I may not have been clear on the sim card slot on the case. It doesn't connect to the tablet or anything like that. It's just a small pocket that holds another sim card, if you have one. When you open the case (so it's like a book), the front cover is to the left. In the lower right corner is a pocket that holds another sim card.

I keep my AT&T sim card in the table (since we have great AT&T coverage where I'm at) but keep the t-mobile "free 200mb for life" sim in the pocket on the tablet in case I want to switch sims. It's convenient because you don't have to carry the extra sim in your pocket or elsewhere.

Here's the Amazon link for the case I purchased: http://www.amazon.com/i-UniK-Touchsc...words=trio+axs

If you look at the pictures, there is one that shows the tablet with the front cover open. You can see the little sim pocket in the lower right of the front cover (to the right of the three groves).

Eric

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link. I can see the SIM slot you're referring to. That's a great idea for tablets that need a SIM. The UniK case looks a lot like the one I use (used) on my Nook. I always figured if you're gonna get a case, it ought to at least work as a stand and cover the screen when you're traveling.

Thanks a lot for the detailed info!

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the update on this tablet, have been seriously considering it. If it had a 1280x800 screen it'd probably have already bought it; the primary reason I paused on the Trio is that I saw the $129 Sero 8 next to it and the screen difference is noticeable.

Quick question - do you know if the Trio's headphone jack is a headphone/mic combo jack or headphone-only? I'm asking to find out if the Square credit card reader might work in the Trio, and the Square reader requires a combo jack to function.

TIA.

Feedback Score
    I just came across this tablet listing. I'm thinking about buying it and mounting it on my motorcycle. At less than $70 its hard to go wrong. Given the specs, its certainly no match for a high end tablet (only 1020x600 resolution, 512K ram, 4 GB rom, 2800 mAh battery) but still it checks all the boxes (Jelly Bean, front & rear camera, micro USB port, no mention of GPS). No LTE, but it has the right frequencies for AT&T's 3G network. Plus, it has the added benefit of phone functionality, which in my opinion, greatly enhances the usefulness of tablets.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA3T11S67292

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast