Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Google Voice + MMS now with more carriers!

Device(s)
    Moto Maxx (XT1225, LG Nexus 5 (LG-D820)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks to Gate115 for pointing me to this announcement!

If you use a Google Voice PHONE NUMBER, the moment you've been waiting forever for is finally here: Google Voice supports MMS messages on almost 100 different North American carriers. Previously only Sprint customers could get MMS with Google Voice phone number.

My wife and I have used Google Voice for over 2 years now on AT&T network. Love it, in spite of the no MMS. But now that it's fixed, even better.

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/st...rfwzvucf1r4r04
    Expanding carrier support for Google Voice MMS

When your sister texts you a picture of your newborn niece, it’s really important that you get it. For too long, however, Google Voice users would miss these messages for lack of MMS support.

We’ve been working with nearly 100 different North American carriers to enable this feature — including AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Bell Canada, Rogers, Telus, and many more — and starting today all these integrations are live. So enjoy those incoming pics, say goodbye to fomo (fear of missing out), and stay tuned for more Google Voice messaging improvements!

p.s. If you’re a carrier, and you want to enable MMS support for Google Voice, please let us know. We’re big fans of text messaging interoperability.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/7/69...except-verizon
    Google Voice now supports MMS from most North American carriers except Verizon

By Chris Welch on October 7, 2014 12:01 pm

It's been a long time coming, but Google Voice has now added MMS support from almost every major US carrier. Except for Verizon, that is.

Your Google Voice number should now be able to receive in-line MMS photos from people on AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, or another of "nearly 100 different North American carriers." (In Canada, Bell Canada, Rogers, Telus, and others are playing nice with MMS / Google Voice compatibility.)

"For too long, however, Google Voice users would miss these messages for lack of MMS support," wrote Googler Alex Wiesen. Thankfully that's no longer the case for most carriers, but apparently Verizon still isn't on board. The largest US carrier isn't mentioned by name as a participating partner, and Wiesen takes a not-too-subtle poke at Verizon by adding "If you’re a carrier, and you want to enable MMS support for Google Voice, please let us know. We’re big fans of text messaging interoperability."

So photos should now be appearing in-line, but outbound messages are another matter. Some users who've already merged their Google Voice and Hangouts accounts are reporting success when sending out pictures from a Google Voice number. But results are mixed; others are still seeing a shortened Google link that points to an uploaded version of their photo on Google's servers. Perhaps that's to be expected, since it may take some time for Google and carriers to work out all the kinks. Hopefully Verizon will come around and add its own support before long, but that's probably a tad optimistic.
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 10-08-2014 at 03:15 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I can't even begin to tell you how uninterested I am in this news. Anyone still using MMS these days is a fool given the amount of text / picture over data services available (iMessage / What's App / Google Hangouts / BBM / and many more).

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    MMS is a service that doesn't require the same specific hardware or same app or same provider to be used by the parties involved.

Device(s)
    LG H631
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by stillhungry View Post
    I can't even begin to tell you how uninterested I am in this news. Anyone still using MMS these days is a fool given the amount of text / picture over data services available (iMessage / What's App / Google Hangouts / BBM / and many more).

via the HoFo App
    No, not fools. Just people who want simplicity in sending a simple multimedia message without the BS.
    Last edited by gate115; 10-08-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

via the HoFo App
    No one is forcing you to use it if you don't want to. If you're stillhungry, get something to eat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho View Post
    MMS is a service that doesn't require the same specific hardware or same app or same provider to be used by the parties involved.
    Yes, I'm quite aware of what MMS is thankyou. It's also a terribly inefficent way is sending messages. The world has long moved on.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by gate115 View Post
    No, not fools. Just people who want simplicity in sending a simple multimedia message without the BS.
    So MMS is for simpletons? I'd go along with that.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Moto Maxx (XT1225, LG Nexus 5 (LG-D820)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

via the HoFo App
    Yes, I'm quite aware of what MMS is thankyou. It's also a terribly inefficent way is sending messages. The world has long moved on.

via the HoFo App

via the HoFo App

Google has improved the Google Voice service and it has not hurt you in any way. Not sure what you are so upset about.

If you use Google Voice, it helps you. People may send you MMS, whether you approve or not.

If you don't use Google Voice, then move along. Nothing to see here.

Device(s)
    LG H631
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

via the HoFo App
    Are you friends with Earl?

That's not what I said. That's what you said.

I said it's simpler to send MMS with just a messaging app. And faster.

The thread is about GV and MMS not IMessage, etc.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I didn't mean to imply you didn't know that. And I agree is not efficient. My point was that, contrary to all those other services, MMS works with practically all devices/carriers out of the box so you don't worry about the receiver not having the correct device/app/platform/carrier to receive your message, and that's why people still use it.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by gate115 View Post
    Are you friends with Earl?

That's not what I said. That's what you said.

I said it's simpler to send MMS with just a messaging app. And faster.

The thread is about GV and MMS not IMessage, etc.
    I don't have a dog in that fight. ChazzMatt simply announced news about Google Voice, which is used by many members of HowardForums. There was no need to attack the messenger. Those not interested could have disregarded the message.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    I don't have a dog in that fight. ChazzMatt simply announced news about Google Voice, which is used by many members of HowardForums. There was no need to attack the messenger. Those not interested could have disregarded the message.
    You call writing my opinion about MMS on GV as 'attacking' someone? What a total load of cobblers. Delicate bunch of flowers aren't you?

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You imply that anyone using MMS is a fool. That would include MMS by any means. All those applications you named are sending multimedia messages via data, which is how conventional multimedia messages are sent. The only differences are the servers used. With iMessage you use Apple's servers rather than the carrier's servers. You still send the message from one telephone to another by way of an external server.

Calling names is an attack in my book.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Google Voice + MMS now with more carriers!

Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    You imply that anyone using MMS is a fool. That would include MMS by any means. Calling names is an attack in my book.
    Walking up to someone and smacking them in the face is an attack. Calling people who use MMS fools is simply expressing an opinion.

Honestly, how do people with your delicate sensitivities exist in the real world?

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Assault, legally, does not require the use of force. The use of force is battery.

By the way, opinion does not give one blanket immunity. There are more disagreements over opinions than there are over facts. Facts are indisputable, while opinions may be defeated by facts or stronger opposing opinions.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast