Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wind Reliability in the crapper

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score

Wind Reliability in the crapper

The report basically says what we know already but since this is the Wind forum, take a look... they have more than double dropped calls as their closet competitor and more than triple the blocked ones. Network speeds are dreadful and SMS times are bad but that isn't as important to me as a consumer. Hopefully, with a new CEO, they'll do something about that.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/10/28/be...reless-report/
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Feedback Score
    I don't know why they bother to compare wind data speeds to that of robellus, the big three are using lte and wind isn't. Lag time for text messages isn't even something I typically notice. But the dropped calls is troubling. I agree fruvous, hopefully with the new CEO we see some new improvements and 2015 is a great year for wind.

Feedback Score
    What I find funny is that rogers has their speeds noted, but when I moved over to Wind from Rogers about 18 months ago, I didn't see a drop in speed because LTE is well and good, but the rest of the network needs to be fast and not congested.

The dropped calls/not making the call in the first place sucks though!

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I've noticed a steady decline in data speed over the last year or so which is ironic as it seems to coincide with WIND's launch of their DC-HPSA+ network. I've gone from regularly getting speeds of between 10-14Mb/s down to between 1-2Mb/s down. Up speeds aren't even worth talking about, they're virtually non-existent these days.

I have, though, seen vast improvements in voice quality and reliability over the same period but this is more due to the devices I've been using during that time, both bought directly from the manufacturer, and both were not available through WIND. I rarely have dropped calls any more and the call quality is vastly superior to anything else I've used. Voice scrambling is pretty much non-existent too. In fact, for the first time I've been able to make calls from anywhere in my house without worrying whether I can get a signal or not. Makes you wonder how well WIND network tests their devices before selling them.

Carrier(s)
    FREEDOM
    Feedback Score
    Dropped calls and calls going to VM directly are something WIND engineers have not been able to figure out from the beginning, they have a lot to learn from Videotron on how to manage an AWS network. Videotron has proved AWS network can be on the top.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by artekds View Post
    Dropped calls and calls going to VM directly are something WIND engineers have not been able to figure out from the beginning, they have a lot to learn from Videotron on how to manage an AWS network. Videotron has proved AWS network can be on the top.
    It requires money. Videotron charges a lot more. If wind increases the rates and improved the network, would you be happy about it?

Feedback Score
    they have a lot to learn from Videotron on how to manage an AWS network. Videotron has proved AWS network can be on the top.
    I seemed to recall the Loxcel map, before it got locked up and started requiring a subscription, reporting Videotron had significantly more towers in Quebec than Wind had throughout the rest of Canada. With figures like that - a larger number of towers concentrated in a smaller geographic area - Videotron coverage beating Wind's coverage seemed more or less to be expected.

Feedback Score
    Yes Hello there. Have you used Videotron? Yes it is good, better than Wind but the issues you described also happens on Videotron. Also with Videotron I had times when I was either on a call OR not even on the phone. Person on the other end would say they got a busy signal. But the thing is I have call waiting so even during a call it should not do that. This happens many times. Also at times I could not connect to mobile internet in a non congested area.

Also voice calls that sound garbled.You have to hang up and call the person back.

Carrier(s)
    FREEDOM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    It requires money. Videotron charges a lot more. If wind increases the rates and improved the network, would you be happy about it?
    Money aside, I was making a point about AWS penetration.

Carrier(s)
    FREEDOM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave114 View Post
    I seemed to recall the Loxcel map, before it got locked up and started requiring a subscription, reporting Videotron had significantly more towers in Quebec than Wind had throughout the rest of Canada. With figures like that - a larger number of towers concentrated in a smaller geographic area - Videotron coverage beating Wind's coverage seemed more or less to be expected.
    Wish WIND would take one model area and prove they can do it.

Carrier(s)
    FREEDOM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue17 View Post
    Yes Hello there. Have you used Videotron? Yes it is good, better than Wind but the issues you described also happens on Videotron. Also with Videotron I had times when I was either on a call OR not even on the phone. Person on the other end would say they got a busy signal. But the thing is I have call waiting so even during a call it should not do that. This happens many times. Also at times I could not connect to mobile internet in a non congested area.

Also voice calls that sound garbled.You have to hang up and call the person back.
    Granted what you are saying may be true, but looks like statistically Videotron seems to be doing something right or at least Rootmetrics tests show.

Feedback Score

I would hope so.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Money aside, I was making a point about AWS penetration.
    Of course AWS is usable. Big 3 LTE is AWS. T-Mobile USA uses AWS LTE and AWS 3G. Asian carriers use 2100 Mhz 3G, 2300 LTE and 2600 LTE which are even higher frequency.

WIND has been lying since day 1 about AWS being blocked by walls. Coming from a science background what really makes me angry is purposefully lying and misleading people - like telling them that AWS doesnt go through walls. The truth is that 1700Mhz waves scatter and lose power rapidly over distance compared to 850Mhz (If I remember correctly, it goes as λ^4 where λ is the wavelength) . WIND doesnt have enough money to build a lot of towers and thats why the signal is too weak in many places.

Feedback Score
    Of course AWS is usable. Big 3 LTE is AWS. T-Mobile USA uses AWS LTE and AWS 3G. Asian carriers use 2100 Mhz 3G, 2300 LTE and 2600 LTE which are even higher frequency.

WIND has been lying since day 1 about AWS being blocked by walls. Coming from a science background what really makes me angry is purposefully lying and misleading people - like telling them that AWS doesnt go through walls. The truth is that 1700Mhz waves scatter and lose power rapidly over distance compared to 850Mhz (If I remember correctly, it goes as λ^4 where λ is the wavelength) . WIND doesnt have enough money to build a lot of towers and thats why the signal is too weak in many places.
    It isn't a lie. Relatively lower frequencies DO have measurably better building penetration in the mobile phone world. The fact that the downlink is at 2100 MHz in AWS (not 1700 MHz) exacerbates the situation. At the frequencies of interest, the radio propagation loss is proportional to the square of the distance regardless of frequency. There is an effective loss used in typical free space propagation loss models that takes into account antenna size/aperture factors with decreasing wavelength that does add another loss proportional to the square of frequency. So, for the same coverage at AWS, there should be more towers than would be the case for 850 MHz but we know that Wind typically has less although they probably compensate with higher power, however that doesn't add any channel capacity.

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robsaw View Post
    It isn't a lie. Relatively lower frequencies DO have measurably better building penetration in the mobile phone world. The fact that the downlink is at 2100 MHz in AWS (not 1700 MHz) exacerbates the situation. At the frequencies of interest, the radio propagation loss is proportional to the square of the distance regardless of frequency. There is an effective loss used in typical free space propagation loss models that takes into account antenna size/aperture factors with decreasing wavelength that does add another loss proportional to the square of frequency. So, for the same coverage at AWS, there should be more towers than would be the case for 850 MHz but we know that Wind typically has less although they probably compensate with higher power, however that doesn't add any channel capacity.
    telus bell and rogers all use the 1900/2100... so what's the big deal?
    Managed to get Mobilicity to act and improve on 4 items.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast