Thread: Moto G LTE Bootloader unlock

Device(s)
    TREO 700p
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Moto G LTE Bootloader unlock

damn...

just bought the moto g lte from a cricket store thinking it would be as easy to unlock the bootloader as my older (motorola purchased moto g's) I guess motorola does not give you the unlock code for carrier specific devices. And it doesnt seem like there are any other means of unlocking it. So, if i keep this device: will it receive the updates from motorla at the same same time? or is there no guarantee that it will ever get any more updates. The phone is the XT1045 and its running 4.4.4 right now.

If i had researched that i would have just paid the extra 50$ for the unlocked device from moto.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I think many of us here assumed that the newer G LTE and E (@walmart) wouldn't be rootable/bootunlockable because the AT&T original G wasn't. The original G from motorola is rootable, but not the AT&T version of the orig G.

As for updates, hopefully you'll still get those on time.

Feedback Score
    Since its dependent on the carrier to push upgrades, there is no guarantee that it will occur. And given AT&T's poor track record for doing that for any except the absolute latest phones, I wouldn't bet on Cricket doing any upgrades.

Feedback Score
    It doesn't surprise me that you can't unlock the bootloader, as the Cricket (AIO) Moto G 1st Gen had an unlockable bootloader. I purchased a Consumer Cellular (AT&T) Moto G last week and I could unlock the bootloader. I guess it depends upon which MVNO you purchase from, or better yet buy an unlocked version but it will be more expensive.

Regarding updates on your new Moto G LTE, that will be totally dependent upon Cricket pushing them out. The firmware (Build) on the phone dictates where the updates come from, in your case it will be Cricket. I wouldn't count on receiving any updates. Maybe when L is released you might see it at some point, but I wouldn't bet on it. They would rather sell you another phone that has L.

Feedback Score
    This company claims that they have an app that you can download and it will unlock the bootloader - costs $25 per phone. If you google them, people say good things on xda about them:

http://theroot.ninja/

Quote Originally Posted by eruji View Post
    damn...

just bought the moto g lte from a cricket store thinking it would be as easy to unlock the bootloader as my older (motorola purchased moto g's) I guess motorola does not give you the unlock code for carrier specific devices. And it doesnt seem like there are any other means of unlocking it. So, if i keep this device: will it receive the updates from motorla at the same same time? or is there no guarantee that it will ever get any more updates. The phone is the XT1045 and its running 4.4.4 right now.

If i had researched that i would have just paid the extra 50$ for the unlocked device from moto.

Device(s)
    Essential, StarTAC, Lots of mobile broadband
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Now that the Cricket/AIO Moto G 4G LTE is currently $25 after rebate (assuming you activate for at least 2 months), going for these guys' boot loader unlock looks like a good deal instead of buying the natively unlocked $200 version.

their exploit is currently limited to android OS 4.4.3 and earlier for the Moto G. If you want to take their route, be careful not to upgrade to the latest android OS (assuming the phone didn't ship with 4.4.4 or later).

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    Now that the Cricket/AIO Moto G 4G LTE is currently $25 after rebate (assuming you activate for at least 2 months), going for these guys' boot loader unlock looks like a good deal instead of buying the natively unlocked $200 version.

their exploit is currently limited to android OS 4.4.3 and earlier for the Moto G. If you want to take their route, be careful not to upgrade to the latest android OS (assuming the phone didn't ship with 4.4.4 or later).
    People have posted that the phone updates to 4.4.4 almost immediately. How do you stop that from happening? Leave the sim out with no wifi, and then sideload the rooninja apk?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey View Post
    People have posted that the phone updates to 4.4.4 almost immediately. How do you stop that from happening? Leave the sim out with no wifi, and then sideload the rooninja apk?
    Unless the Moto is different, my galaxy only updates after asking me.

Device(s)
    Zenfone Laser 2
    Feedback Score
    My Moto G LTE I got from cricket online about what, 6 some week ago, shipped with 4.4.4. There was no updating, it came with it out of the box. I got mine as soon as they put them on the site I think. Now I wish I waited with the sale and rebate going on now. But I needed a phone then.

Device(s)
    2014 Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hanuta44 View Post
    My Moto G LTE I got from cricket online about what, 6 some week ago, shipped with 4.4.4. There was no updating, it came with it out of the box. I got mine as soon as they put them on the site I think. Now I wish I waited with the sale and rebate going on now. But I needed a phone then.
    I was in a similar situation. My old phone was on its deathbed (<1h of usage on a full charge) and at the time Cricket had the original Moto G (non LTE) for $25 after rebate.. but it was out of stock. I ended up getting a second gen Moto G. 2 months later, Cricket has the G LTE for $25 which I'd prefer over the $200 (after taxes) I spent. The only advantage I have is the ability to unlock the bootloader and root or flash other ROMs. Not worth the price differential for me.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hanuta44 View Post
    Ok...hopefully that rootninja app can get a 4.4.4 unlock working. I really want root on this phone.

I was hoping that shipped with 4.3 and that I could unlock it before it updated.

Device(s)
    Zenfone Laser 2
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mallevi View Post
    I was in a similar situation. My old phone was on its deathbed (<1h of usage on a full charge) and at the time Cricket had the original Moto G (non LTE) for $25 after rebate.. but it was out of stock. I ended up getting a second gen Moto G. 2 months later, Cricket has the G LTE for $25 which I'd prefer over the $200 (after taxes) I spent. The only advantage I have is the ability to unlock the bootloader and root or flash other ROMs. Not worth the price differential for me.
    Yeah, I was dealing with a pretty dead phone and no data. I was waiting for them to put the G LTE on the site and waited. Then I thought, I'll get the 2014 Moto G from Amazon, but they were out of it. Then Cricket got the LTE in and I ordered it and 2 days later the larger moto G was back in stock on Amazon. Duh. I paid $149 for the LTE and now its $25. Ouch. But that is how them things go. I couldn't wait anymore, I needed a phone and plan.

I don't do any rooting or such things. Wouldn't even know what the heck that is

Feedback Score
    Any updates on unlocking the bootloader for the Moto G LTE on Cricket Wireless?

I recently acquired this phone for cheap to use my 2nd number and to use as a backup unit.
    I was hoping to do a little customizing so I knew I'd need root access.
    I was doing online searches of "how to"s and came across this thread. :P

Feedback Score
    Anyone know if Cricket reps, either online or in-store, are even capable of assisting in unlocking the bootloader? Seeing as Cricket made the effort to prevent their own allocation of XT1045's to be unlocked via Motorola's site, they may very well have a backdoor to unlock those same bootloaders at their own leisure.

Feedback Score
    The bootloader on the Moto G LTE cannot be unlocked. You could have rooted it if it was at 4.4.2. I made the same mistake. Now we will have to wait for a root exploit to unlock it.

However, unlocking the SIM was trivial. $3 on EBAY buys you a code. Just insert a non-Cricket SIM and it will prompt you to enter the code.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast